Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/17/2020 10:30:16 AM EDT
Guys,

My wife, the family accountant, cleared me to go elk hunting this year. Problem was, when I should have been booking hunts, I was on the couch, injured. And by the time I had recovered enough from that to consider a hunt, COVID had hit. Being self-employed we aren't in the habit of blowing big chunks of money during an uncertain economy. So nothing ever got booked this year.

I realize that, short of finding a cancellation, it's highly unlikely that I'd ever book a bull hunt this year, this late, and even though it's in the budget, I just don't think this is the year for it. But I know that I could easily afford a cow hunt. So I'm asking for help - I want to find some options for cow elk hunts. I know hunts are cheapest when the weather is the worst, but I don't want to travel then. I'd prefer to travel in October or November, or early December at the latest if the hunt was south, like southern CO or even NM.

Rifle preferred. Muzzleloader acceptable. Has to be a free-range hunt (dad's rule, not mine - I don't want to debate that here). Has to be private land (or landlocked public). Semi-guided or unguided is fine as long as we can get some help with putting the elk in the truck to haul it to a processor. Hunt would be for two adults. If it was near a place a guy could drop his family at a hotel for 2-3 days that would be cool, too, but not an absolute necessity.

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:34:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Keep an eye on western slope Craig’s list.

https://westslope.craigslist.org/spo/d/craig-acres-private-hunting/7167807442.html

Don’t know them, probably add another day of driving to get to Craig.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:13:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By arowneragain:
Guys,

My wife, the family accountant, cleared me to go elk hunting this year. Problem was, when I should have been booking hunts, I was on the couch, injured. And by the time I had recovered enough from that to consider a hunt, COVID had hit. Being self-employed we aren't in the habit of blowing big chunks of money during an uncertain economy. So nothing ever got booked this year.

I realize that, short of finding a cancellation, it's highly unlikely that I'd ever book a bull hunt this year, this late, and even though it's in the budget, I just don't think this is the year for it. But I know that I could easily afford a cow hunt. So I'm asking for help - I want to find some options for cow elk hunts. I know hunts are cheapest when the weather is the worst, but I don't want to travel then. I'd prefer to travel in October or November, or early December at the latest if the hunt was south, like southern CO or even NM.

Rifle preferred. Muzzleloader acceptable. Has to be a free-range hunt (dad's rule, not mine - I don't want to debate that here). Has to be private land (or landlocked public). Semi-guided or unguided is fine as long as we can get some help with putting the elk in the truck to haul it to a processor. Hunt would be for two adults. If it was near a place a guy could drop his family at a hotel for 2-3 days that would be cool, too, but not an absolute necessity.

View Quote

You seem to have some conflicting requirements here.  Specifically you want to not be on public land but you also want it to be cheap.  Those  seldom coincide.  

If you want unguided you could probably pretty easily find an outfitter that will hook you up with a drop camp for 2nd or 3rd season in southern CO but it would likely be on public land.  

However, if the outfitter hauled you in on horseback the chances of you seeing a day hunter 10-20 miles back are pretty remote.  We hunted for years using an outfitter near Bayfield CO who provided us with a wall tent, stove, cots and firewood as well as packing us in and out (I would give you his name but he is out of the business).  We were only a few miles from the road but those miles included about 1500 ft of elevation change and very few day hunters wanted to deal with that crap.  

Link Posted: 8/17/2020 12:48:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BFskinner:

You seem to have some conflicting requirements here.  Specifically you want to not be on public land but you also want it to be cheap.  Those  seldom coincide.  
View Quote

Cheap is a relative term. I've seen private-land cow hunts for less than $1000 and I've seen private-land bull hunts for $15,000. I'm under no illusion that a private land hunt will be as cheap as a public land hunt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:26:00 PM EDT
[#4]
There were some outfits doing cow hunts for 2-4K a couple years back.   Collbran area google search.    You might get lucky if there are cancellations.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 2:43:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
There were some outfits doing cow hunts for 2-4K a couple years back.   Collbran area google search.    You might get lucky if there are cancellations.
View Quote

Thanks! I've already reached out to the guy in the link in your first post. Not familiar with Collbran but I'll check it out.
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 9:37:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: TexCorriente] [#6]
Sending you a PM shortly
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:45:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Im going to CO for first rifle. The outfitter were are using has guided cow hunts for $2K, but they are late season.  

I’ve never been. Going with a friend who has been on a few guided hunts and said these guys were awesome. Hence the return trip.......
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 10:58:46 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Britt-dog] [#8]
Go hunt

Huntin fool

Probably the easiest way to get it done this late in the game is by purchasing a landowner tag. Check out these links for help. There are often stay and hunt packages both guided and diy.

edit to spell gooder
Link Posted: 8/17/2020 11:04:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#9]
Just pay attention to the fires guys.  We are cooking out here and new fires are very possible.

Ideally you have a plan B/C/D, not sure how that works on a paid hunt.    Some units are likely to be closed at least for bow.   By rifle we better have rain/snow.

Good link for fire info

https://inciweb.nwcg.gov/incident/6906/

Link Posted: 10/30/2020 10:00:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top