Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/19/2020 9:40:59 AM EDT
I believe the large discussion regarding M95 masks in the GD CoronaVirus Thread deserves a dedicated thread in the survival forum.

There is a tremendous amount of knowledgeable people giving great advice and asking great questions and I think it would be more helpful to have a dedicated thread so people wishing to better educated themselves don't have to search through a bunch of noise and unrelated discussion.

I'll be creating CoronaVirus Sub-Topic Threads for other useful topics that I think should be focused on as well, from the GD Thread.

Remember, this is a Tech Forum, NOT GD.  This is not the place for discussions as to whether this is a "nothing burger" or if it makes sense to be prepared.

Please focus on:
Availability
Effectiveness
Proper Usage
Long Term Usage
Alternatives
Setting up a Quarantine
Etc

Link Back to Master-CoronaVirus-Thread-with-Links-to-Sub-Topics-for-the-sake-of-Organizing-and-Focusing-Info
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 11:53:46 AM EDT
[#1]
@The_Beer_Slayer
I know you're an expert on this stuff, was just wondering if you might be able to share some information, recommendations and possibly recap some of the things you're been answering in the multiple threads going on right now?
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:13:32 PM EDT
[#2]
As a true value hardware retailer, I just checked stock from my regional warehouse.  There are no n95 or n100 masks available at this time.  Checking nationwide on the 3M 20 packs resulted in no regional warehouses having any in stock.

So from a retailers point of view, at this time I do not have the ability to replace my stock.

I would also say that I purchased several cases a few weeks ago, before they became scarce.  While I have them displayed on the shelf (at the regular price), the public is not buying them.  They are only selling to the same contractors that often buy them.
Link Posted: 2/19/2020 1:20:15 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
As a true value hardware retailer, I just checked stock from my regional warehouse.  There are no n95 or n100 masks available at this time.  Checking nationwide on the 3M 20 packs resulted in no regional warehouses having any in stock.

So from a retailers point of view, at this time I do not have the ability to replace my stock.

I would also say that I purchased several cases a few weeks ago, before they became scarce.  While I have them displayed on the shelf (at the regular price), the public is not buying them.  They are only selling to the same contractors that often buy them.
View Quote
This makes me think that Hospitals and .gov agencies are buying them up from the manufacturers/wholesalers.

Not the result of a public panic buy yet.
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 10:01:46 PM EDT
[#4]
One of the largest medical supply companies quoted our hospital late May for N95 masks. If you need or want them good luck. Most hospitals are low stock.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Someone in the GD thread had a recommendation for a 3M respirator, but that thread is so large, I can't seem to find it and the search needs to be 3 characters or more, so "3m" doesn't help.

Anyone have respirator recommendations?  I'm trying to get them for my employees who may have to service hospitals over the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 1:12:22 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a 3m p100 half face respirator. Just make sure you have googles as well. Not excited about shaving my beard though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 10:47:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I went to Lowe's this morning and picked up 4 of the 3M half face respirators. Three of them are the P100 with the pink cartridges on the outside and the third has white N95 cartridges. The masks themselves look almost identical except the N95 has a slightly different "port" or something right in the middle of the nose.

Are the cartridges for these interchangeable? I did manage to pick up an extra pack of P100 cartridges so if they are I can just swap them out.

Right as you walk in the front door there was a rack that had 4 masks on it, I grabbed two and then some other guy walked up and snatched the other two while I was reading the packages.
I then walked over to the hardware aisle and managed to get two of the last three they had there plus the extra pack of cartridges.
While I was standing there reading over the packages at least two other people walked up looking for masks.

When I went to the self check out I said to the lady working there, "I bet you've been selling a lot of these." She said they sold 90 of them yesterday.
While talking with her another lady, (customer), walked up and she was carrying a mask, too.

I paid for my stuff and got out of dodge.

EDIT: Aside from that they had plenty of other cleaning supplies on hand. I looked around and everything else seemed to be normal. They had goggles and gloves on hand so I guess I need to go back and pick some of those up as well.
Link Posted: 2/27/2020 11:24:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Here is some general info:

95-rated masks are talked about in a medical context because 95 is the highest efficiency that is practical for an un-valved mask - so that the mask works both ways. In a medical context it's often more important to filter the outgoing air instead of just the incoming. If you are (or might be) sick and want to help protect people around you, a 95 type mask without an exhalation valve is what you need.

If you are unconcerned about filtering the outgoing air, a mask with an exhalation valve makes for easier wear, especially if you are wearing it for a protracted length of time. There are 95 rated masks with valves, but also 99 (not very common) or 100 rated masks also. The practical difference on the filter efficiency is likely pretty small, as the droplet size of the particles in question are not going to be near the hardest-to-stop size that is tested for the mask/filter ratings.

None of the ratings will matter if the mask doesn't fit and leaks.

The letter (N, R, P) is for the type of particles. N is for non-oil, R (not common) is for limited oil, P is for oil or non-oil particulates. The oil is a factor for industrial users depending on what they are working on, but in the medical context any would work.

The interchangeable filter masks might be able to seal up better for some, and provide good protection on the incoming air but no filtering on the outgoing air. Keep in mind that those are designed for all kinds of hazards with various interchangeable elements, and some of those elements are designed for certain chemical hazards but do not have a rating for filtering particulates. Combination cartridges have both a particulate filter element as well as chemical filtering which would be ok, but be advised that such cartridges are harder to breathe through, and also larger and heavier than particulate-only filters.

For the most part cartridges and filters (in the US) are brand-specific, this is due to the way OSHA regulates them which requires everything to be approved as a unit. In europe masks and filters are rated separately so they can be designed to be interchangeable. So don't try to get an MSA filter to attach to a 3m mask or something like that. There are a few full-face respirators that use the NATO & EU standard 40mm thread but they are not very common in the US.

For the interchangeable-filter type masks, most of the particulate filters you will find are P100, just due to the nature of the hazards that they are normally used for. They come in some different form factors for different industrial users... for example there are some that come in an enclosed plastic case, these are used by asbestos abatement folks as they can go through a decon shower with the mask on. There are smaller size ones that are intended to fit under welding helmets. The larger soft ones have lots of surface area for long life in a dusty environment. Etc... point being, for this kind of application any of those various styles would work fine as long as you get the right brand with the right connection to fit your mask.

Its pretty common to find inexpensive masks for sale for consumer use without OSHA ratings. They are less expensive due to not having to go through the regulatory process, but an unknown on how effective they would be. They'd be at least as effective as a cloth mask or something like that, and better than nothing if that is all that is available.

So just to be clear... a rating of N, R or P with a number 95, 99 or 100 is a filter rated for particulates, and any of those should be ok. If you want to be as protected as possible, P100 is the highest level of particulate filtration but those will only protect the wearer, and no protection from the wearer. Ratings of things like OV, AM, AG, HC, HF etc are ratings for types of chemicals which don't matter in this particular context, although if people are dousing things in bleach, lysol, alcohol etc you might want that extra protection  There are some particulate filters sold with "nuisance level" chemical filtering, those do work some just for chemical odors but if there is a dangerous level of chemicals they probably won't be effective enough.

The term "gas mask" is used by the armed forces to refer to what the rest of the world calls an air-purifying respirator. The industrial safety world has some specialty "gas masks" which are not like the military respirators and are used for some very specific hazards. If you are a "prepper" and try to search/shop for "gas masks" you will find yourself looking at overpriced products marketed to the uninformed. In the normal safety/PPE market in the US just use the term respirator... half-mask respirators just cover the nose and mouth, full-face respirators cover the eyes also.

A PAPR (powered air-purifying respirator) is essentially just a blower... it sucks air through filters and delivers it to a mask. This makes it easier to work as you don't have the extra exertion needed to inhale through filters, plus provides a positive-pressure environment in the mask which helps mitigate leaks. In some industrial applications they are used with some full-face covers that aren't exactly masks, but with the positive pressure they work. PAPR's are pretty expensive, have expensive rechargeable batteries etc due to the nature of what they are designed for and the regulatory environment.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:00:45 AM EDT
[#9]
I've been wondering if tyvek suits are worthwhile?  Are they even worth considering?  It's not like I'm going to be working on sick people or carrying bodies...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:03:44 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a 3m p100 half face respirator. Just make sure you have googles as well. Not excited about shaving my beard though.
View Quote
On this point, is there anything to be done other than SCBA?  I've got a big bushy beard and I dread the thought of cutting it off...
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:24:22 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I've been wondering if tyvek suits are worthwhile?  Are they even worth considering?  It's not like I'm going to be working on sick people or carrying bodies...
View Quote
They tear pretty easy and have limited wear out life so you'd need a shitload of them.

Since this isn't a hyper deadly airborne movie style virus I'm leaning towards overwear that can be immediately washed. Think coveralls and accessories to cover up. When you are forced to leaving shelter you put it on then when you get back you immediately doff it and wash it on the sanitize cycle a couple of times along with the rest of the outerwear.

It's probably not as secure as wearing full bio suit but most of us don't have the logistics to support activities in full mop/cbrn environments. I opt for practical and mitigate the most risk I can with the resources I realistically can sustain.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 12:57:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
On this point, is there anything to be done other than SCBA?  I've got a big bushy beard and I dread the thought of cutting it off...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
There are setups like this with PAPR blowers, but you're looking at a pretty substantial price tag:
https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-us/all-3m-products/~/3M-Versaflo-Powered-Air-Purifying-Respirator-Painters-Kit-TR-800-PSK-94248-AAD-1-EA-Case/

The tyvek might be handy as disposable decon, but would certainly be conspicuous if you had to go out in public. How far folks need to go really depends on the routes of transmission of the virus and what kind of decon facilities you have available. If you get the coated tyvek they are a lot more rugged but also get really hot if you are exerting yourself at all.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 1:26:29 AM EDT
[#13]
This kind of placebo wank bullshit is why I can’t get P100 filters for working on my boat. I’m trying to varnish the teak joinery inside the cabin and every P100 compatible disk or cartridge within 100mi was purchased by people whipped into a frenzy by TV talking heads.

Its not “preparedness” when you wait for a guy on TV to scare you before you buy shit. Sheep.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:46:54 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
This kind of placebo wank bullshit is why I can’t get P100 filters for working on my boat. I’m trying to varnish the teak joinery inside the cabin and every P100 compatible disk or cartridge within 100mi was purchased by people whipped into a frenzy by TV talking heads.

Its not “preparedness” when you wait for a guy on TV to scare you before you buy shit. Sheep.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:59:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote
Are you sanding, or is it for spraying the varnish? If it's for the varnish you need a chemical cartridge + filter.

Do you already have a mask, out of curiosity what brand are you looking for? As of today my local farm store still had P100 and combination cartridges on the shelf.
Link Posted: 2/28/2020 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's also not "preparedness" when your ability to have the items you need is directly affected by what other people decide to buy.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:33:57 PM EDT
[#17]
can anyone offer advice on supplies and setup for creating a decon area?
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 1:45:20 PM EDT
[#18]
My parents Dentist who is also like minded - gave my parents some Patterson High Performance Dental Cup Masks -  https://www.pattersondSupplies/ItemDetailental.com//070886937   and said they were in line with the N95 masks (!! Not Confirmed !!)

from Patterson web site

Product Details
Surgical face masks are molded with aluminum noseguard for positive fit.

*Cool, comfortable breathing

*BFE and PFE rating greater than or equal to 99%

*Fiberglass free, latex free

Specifications
Brand: Patterson®
Color: Blue
Color Family: Blue
Fiberglass Content: Fiberglass Free
Latex Content: Latex Free
Manufacturer Name: Patterson Dental Supply
Mask Type: Surgical
Old Manufacturer #: 10714
Package Quantity: 50/Pkg
Size: One Size Fits All
Strap Type: Ear Loops
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:14:41 PM EDT
[#19]
OH MY GOD!!!!!

I CAN'T GET NO MASKS

WHAT DO I DO?

I'M GONNA BE ON THE FRONT LINE......

Of cutting the grass during allergy season
Link Posted: 3/1/2020 2:47:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OH MY GOD!!!!!

I CAN'T GET NO MASKS

WHAT DO I DO?

I'M GONNA BE ON THE FRONT LINE......

Of cutting the grass during allergy season
View Quote
Dibs on your guns and women
Link Posted: 3/3/2020 11:10:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Hmmmm

Amazon Product
  • The new standard in intrinsically safe protection - The TR-800 is a PAPR blower rated at Division I for Classes I,II, and III under the most current UL standard (UL 60079, 6th Edition, 2013)
  • More options for more tasks - Choose from particulate filters or gas and vapor combination cartridges for protection in a variety of environments.
  • Work at your own speed - Multiple airflow rates put you in control of your comfort.

Link Posted: 3/4/2020 2:14:31 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Here is some general info:

95-rated masks are talked about in a medical context because 95 is the highest efficiency that is practical for an un-valved mask - so that the mask works both ways. In a medical context it's often more important to filter the outgoing air instead of just the incoming. If you are (or might be) sick and want to help protect people around you, a 95 type mask without an exhalation valve is what you need.

If you are unconcerned about filtering the outgoing air, a mask with an exhalation valve makes for easier wear, especially if you are wearing it for a protracted length of time. There are 95 rated masks with valves, but also 99 (not very common) or 100 rated masks also. The practical difference on the filter efficiency is likely pretty small, as the droplet size of the particles in question are not going to be near the hardest-to-stop size that is tested for the mask/filter ratings.

None of the ratings will matter if the mask doesn't fit and leaks.

The letter (N, R, P) is for the type of particles. N is for non-oil, R (not common) is for limited oil, P is for oil or non-oil particulates. The oil is a factor for industrial users depending on what they are working on, but in the medical context any would work.

The interchangeable filter masks might be able to seal up better for some, and provide good protection on the incoming air but no filtering on the outgoing air. Keep in mind that those are designed for all kinds of hazards with various interchangeable elements, and some of those elements are designed for certain chemical hazards but do not have a rating for filtering particulates. Combination cartridges have both a particulate filter element as well as chemical filtering which would be ok, but be advised that such cartridges are harder to breathe through, and also larger and heavier than particulate-only filters.

For the most part cartridges and filters (in the US) are brand-specific, this is due to the way OSHA regulates them which requires everything to be approved as a unit. In europe masks and filters are rated separately so they can be designed to be interchangeable. So don't try to get an MSA filter to attach to a 3m mask or something like that. There are a few full-face respirators that use the NATO & EU standard 40mm thread but they are not very common in the US.

For the interchangeable-filter type masks, most of the particulate filters you will find are P100, just due to the nature of the hazards that they are normally used for. They come in some different form factors for different industrial users... for example there are some that come in an enclosed plastic case, these are used by asbestos abatement folks as they can go through a decon shower with the mask on. There are smaller size ones that are intended to fit under welding helmets. The larger soft ones have lots of surface area for long life in a dusty environment. Etc... point being, for this kind of application any of those various styles would work fine as long as you get the right brand with the right connection to fit your mask.

Its pretty common to find inexpensive masks for sale for consumer use without OSHA ratings. They are less expensive due to not having to go through the regulatory process, but an unknown on how effective they would be. They'd be at least as effective as a cloth mask or something like that, and better than nothing if that is all that is available.

So just to be clear... a rating of N, R or P with a number 95, 99 or 100 is a filter rated for particulates, and any of those should be ok. If you want to be as protected as possible, P100 is the highest level of particulate filtration but those will only protect the wearer, and no protection from the wearer. Ratings of things like OV, AM, AG, HC, HF etc are ratings for types of chemicals which don't matter in this particular context, although if people are dousing things in bleach, lysol, alcohol etc you might want that extra protection  There are some particulate filters sold with "nuisance level" chemical filtering, those do work some just for chemical odors but if there is a dangerous level of chemicals they probably won't be effective enough.

The term "gas mask" is used by the armed forces to refer to what the rest of the world calls an air-purifying respirator. The industrial safety world has some specialty "gas masks" which are not like the military respirators and are used for some very specific hazards. If you are a "prepper" and try to search/shop for "gas masks" you will find yourself looking at overpriced products marketed to the uninformed. In the normal safety/PPE market in the US just use the term respirator... half-mask respirators just cover the nose and mouth, full-face respirators cover the eyes also.

A PAPR (powered air-purifying respirator) is essentially just a blower... it sucks air through filters and delivers it to a mask. This makes it easier to work as you don't have the extra exertion needed to inhale through filters, plus provides a positive-pressure environment in the mask which helps mitigate leaks. In some industrial applications they are used with some full-face covers that aren't exactly masks, but with the positive pressure they work. PAPR's are pretty expensive, have expensive rechargeable batteries etc due to the nature of what they are designed for and the regulatory environment.
View Quote
Wow. Amazingly comprehensive post. Thank you.
Link Posted: 3/4/2020 9:36:39 PM EDT
[#23]
Personal attacks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top