Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/19/2020 11:09:57 AM EDT
I believe the large discussion regarding Keeping things Running in Your Area of Operation in the GD CoronaVirus Thread deserves a dedicated thread in the survival forum.

There is a tremendous amount of knowledgeable people giving great advice and asking great questions and I think it would be more helpful to have a dedicated thread so people wishing to better educated themselves don't have to search through a bunch of noise and unrelated discussion.

I'll be creating CoronaVirus Sub-Topic Threads for other useful topics that I think should be focused on as well, from the GD Thread.

Remember, this is a Tech Forum, NOT GD. This is not the place for discussions as to whether this is a "nothing burger" or if it makes sense to be prepared.

Please focus on:
Critical Systems
- Wells/Water Supply (manual pump options)
- Utilization/Filtering of Pools & Ponds
- Water Collection
- Electrical/Generators
- Heating
- Cooling
- Refrigeration
- Septic/Sewer System
Advice for Preventative Maintenance
Advice for Spare Parts and Maintenance Supplies
Etc

Link Back to Master-CoronaVirus-Thread-with-Links-to-Sub-Topics-for-the-sake-of-Organizing-and-Focusing-Info
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:30:42 AM EDT
[#1]
If you have vehicles, generators, etc, now is the time to change your oil and buy spare filters and oil.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 3:58:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I am in the suburbs.  
I have many bases covered. I am worried about 1 area. Sewage backups.
When the power goes out and the swear dept doesn’t show up, I see the area backing up.
I don’t think I have a back flow preventer. I know I don’t have an inspection hole. When I bought the house I paid a plumber to camera the pipe till it hit the city sewer. He had to remove a toilet to stick the camera down.
Any way I could stop the flow of shit into my house?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:31:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I am in the suburbs.  
When the power goes out and the swear dept doesn’t show up, I see the area backing up.
I don’t think I have a back flow preventer. I know I don’t have an inspection hole. When I bought the house I paid a plumber to camera the pipe till it hit the city sewer. He had to remove a toilet to stick the camera down.
View Quote
Possibly an inflatable plug if you have a place to insert it.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 8:20:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am in the suburbs.  
I could probably take off the toilet and insert it all the way in from there.  
Any links to ones that will go in from a toilet and seal The main sewer line?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:43:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

I could probably take off the toilet and insert it all the way in from there.  
Any links to ones that will go in from a toilet and seal The main sewer line?
View Quote
Look at your plumbing from the toilet and into the basement/crawl space.

The should be a cleanout right before the sewer line leaves the house [by code].

Pull the cap and look inside. Put a bucket under to catch the drippings and make sure no one flushes, etc.

H-D usually carries the test/service inflatable 'sausage' plugs. Require very little pressure to inflate. Have used them from time to time.

IIRC, there should be a cleanout every 100 feet in your yard. They can be found with a rod and handle, or with a stethoscope and someone tapping of the line a distance away.  Have done it, too often.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 6:14:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Look at your plumbing from the toilet and into the basement/crawl space.

The should be a cleanout right before the sewer line leaves the house [by code].

Pull the cap and look inside. Put a bucket under to catch the drippings and make sure no one flushes, etc.

H-D usually carries the test/service inflatable 'sausage' plugs. Require very little pressure to inflate. Have used them from time to time.

IIRC, there should be a cleanout every 100 feet in your yard. They can be found with a rod and handle, or with a stethoscope and someone tapping of the line a distance away.  Have done it, too often.
View Quote
We are on a slab.  The clean out is likely under concrete.
Link Posted: 2/24/2020 7:10:31 PM EDT
[#7]
Spring is coming, in a few weeks heat will be more of a luxury than a need.

I have a small generator to run the coal stove (it's a stoker), but won't keep it going full time. I'm installing a wood stove this year, with a cook top.

The bigger concern will be keeping the freezer cold if the power goes out, it's already in the basement, which stays cool year round, but I would surround the entire thing with foam sheets, and make sure the alarm has new batteries in it, fill it with snow or ice while we still have it, and cycle it with the generator as often as needed if the power goes down.

Related to power, as long as we have power at the panel, we will have water in the house (assuming the well pump doesn't take a shit), but I also have a hand pump (which I am pretty happy with, I made it last month)

I have lots of ways to cook food should we lose power, propane, naptha, butane, all different types of stoves, with wood as a last resort.

We should have enough food in the house right now to feed 4 people for at least 30 days, likely 60 days, but it will get boring.

My biggest concern is my youngest, she is a very picky eater. No idea why, we did nothing different with her, she's been picky since she was on the boob (preferred one side over the other and would have a fit if forced to switch).

Peanut butter is what I've stocked for her, she loves peanut butter and milk, but is a real pain in the ass with foods like rice, and has never eaten meat, she's spit it out every time she's ever tried it.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:12:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

I have a small generator to run the coal stove (it's a stoker), but won't keep it going full time. I'm installing a wood stove this year, with a cook top.

The bigger concern will be keeping the freezer cold if the power goes out, it's already in the basement, which stays cool year round, but I would surround the entire thing with foam sheets, and make sure the alarm has new batteries in it, fill it with snow or ice while we still have it, and cycle it with the generator as often as needed if the power goes down.

Related to power, as long as we have power at the panel, we will have water in the house (assuming the well pump doesn't take a shit), but I also have a hand pump (which I am pretty happy with, I made it last month)

I have lots of ways to cook food should we lose power, propane, naptha, butane, all different types of stoves, with wood as a last resort.

We should have enough food in the house right now to feed 4 people for at least 30 days, likely 60 days, but it will get boring.

My biggest concern is my youngest, she is a very picky eater. No idea why, we did nothing different with her, she's been picky since she was on the boob (preferred one side over the other and would have a fit if forced to switch).

Peanut butter is what I've stocked for her, she loves peanut butter and milk, but is a real pain in the ass with foods like rice, and has never eaten meat, she's spit it out every time she's ever tried it.
View Quote
Hope you have plenty of constipation meds for your picky eater, only peanut butter and milk will stop up most people. And FYI, if things get dire enough, she'll eat whatever there is on the table. Not going to lash out at you on parenting matters.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 8:14:48 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hope you have plenty of constipation meds for your picky eater, only peanut butter and milk will stop up most people. And FYI, if things get dire enough, she'll eat whatever there is on the table. Not going to lash out at you on parenting matters.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Hasn't stopped her up yet.

She has peanut butter almost daily for lunch, and milk at least a few times a day.

That said, I have a decent supply of basic meds for a variety of ailments.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:49:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
What year was your house built?

You'll need to install a clean out about 4’ off your house, and if its a long run, every hundred feet after.  The one close to your house shouldn’t be that deep (shovel /weekend job).   You can then stick an inflatable plug down, a few pumps with the bicycle pump, and nothing is moving either way.  If you have PVC sewer line, this is a doable job.  If you have terracotta pipe, leave it to a pro.
Link Posted: 2/25/2020 9:59:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote
Doubtful, code violation.

There should be a cleanout in the yard, to be able to easily access.

Look a few feet from the edge of the slab inline from where the toilet line suggests.

I have toilet on a slab right here and there's a cleanout -standby- 40 feet from the toilet in the slab and another one 40' from the cleanout on the outside.
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 4:58:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I am in the suburbs.  
View Quote
Just to think this one all the way through, what are you going to do for all of your waste water needs once the plug is inserted?

Toilet
Sink(s)
Shower

The sinks you could probably get underneath and remove the trap and put a bucket under there. But the other two are show stoppers. Portable camping toilet and a really big Tupperware to stand in for sponge bath? Then use a bailer and bucket to scoop and throw the soapy water outside?

Or do you have a camper with facilities next to your house that wasn't mentioned
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:37:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

You'll need to install a clean out about 4’ off your house, and if its a long run, every hundred feet after.  The one close to your house shouldn’t be that deep (shovel /weekend job).   You can then stick an inflatable plug down, a few pumps with the bicycle pump, and nothing is moving either way.  If you have PVC sewer line, this is a doable job.  If you have terracotta pipe, leave it to a pro.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Doubtful, code violation.

There should be a cleanout in the yard, to be able to easily access.

Look a few feet from the edge of the slab inline from where the toilet line suggests.

I have toilet on a slab right here and there's a cleanout -standby- 40 feet from the toilet in the slab and another one 40' from the cleanout on the outside.
Wanna say the house was built in 73.  
Terra cotta pipes. Not pvc.
City main line is located about 30yds behind my house. Straight shot out from the bathrooms (they are inline)
Link Posted: 2/26/2020 3:40:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Just to think this one all the way through, what are you going to do for all of your waste water needs once the plug is inserted?

Toilet
Sink(s)
Shower

The sinks you could probably get underneath and remove the trap and put a bucket under there. But the other two are show stoppers. Portable camping toilet and a really big Tupperware to stand in for sponge bath? Then use a bailer and bucket to scoop and throw the soapy water outside?

Or do you have a camper with facilities next to your house that wasn't mentioned
View Quote
That one is easy.
One of your neighbors is gonna die.  Their house will be empty.
I know it’s against the law to toss sewage into another persons house. So I guess I will have to drink a whiteclaw every day before doing it.
This method was seen in Katrina by a friend of mine.  They dumped sewage into a house and then torched it during a rainstorm.

For it to get this bad we are talking Katrina level fuckup.  Not something I want to do, or would enjoy doing. COC goes out the door when you have a breakdown on society.
Link Posted: 2/29/2020 11:38:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Is anybody seeing shortages of oil, oil filters, or any other maintenance type items yet?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top