Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2019 6:29:59 PM EDT
I used to hunt with bibs/parka and about 6 years ago I switched to coveralls.  Looking at getting new equipment this year.  Coyote and deer hunting will be the use.  I don't get out when it's below 15 degrees.  So what's everyone else using and why.  Coveralls are cheaper than buying bibs/parka.  Any other pros or cons
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:35:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Bibs and parka for. Easy on and off, temperature regulation.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 6:56:57 PM EDT
[#2]
I'm a 2-piece guy as well.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 7:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
I've done both
next time I  buy I'll go back to bibs and coat
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:14:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Any particular reason why every one seems to be bibs/parka.
Other than temp control
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:27:01 PM EDT
[#5]
For my body type, coveralls are very restrictive. Moving your arms up seems to pull the crotch tight and bending over gives you excess material that bunches up. I prefer bibs and an over coat which greatly improves movement flexibility.

I have been using bibs and coat for a few years now and haven't noticed any drawbacks like wind up the back etc.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 10:54:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Stand hunting, coveralls. Can tie them around your waist walking out.

Moving around, bib/parka. Lets some heat escape.

Breezes going up your skirt in a stand suck. And most coveralls have vents everywhere (hunting not Carhartt)
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:14:11 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For my body type, coveralls are very restrictive. Moving your arms up seems to pull the crotch tight and bending over gives you excess material that bunches up. I prefer bibs and an over coat which greatly improves movement flexibility.

I have been using bibs and coat for a few years now and haven't noticed any drawbacks like wind up the back etc.
View Quote
Same with coveralls but even with my best sweatshirt and thermals, I still get chills in bibs/parka ice fishing.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 3:22:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I don't see much benefit to coveralls any more when you look at all of the technical clothing available these days, as well as lightweight packable insulated boot covers and stand hunting insulated bags resembling sleeping bags, a guy can hike in wearing lighter breathable gear so as to not get sweaty, then pull insulating layers out of a day pack and cover up for the stand/blind.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 9:27:16 AM EDT
[#9]
I like the layering capability of bibs and a jacket over coveralls. I hunt deer from a climbing stand most of the time, so layering is huge for me. If you're dressed to be comfortable while sitting, you're going to die of a heat stroke as you're climbing. If you're comfortable during the climb, you're going to freeze while sitting. For hogs, I'm usually on the move so layering is big there too.

You'll probably be better off with coveralls if you're only walking a short distance to a ladder or tower stand.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 10:29:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I'm surprised no one has mentioned the biggest disadvantage to coveralls.....It's harder to drop a land mine if nature calls.
Link Posted: 6/30/2019 2:50:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I used go the bibs/parka route... made life a little easier with a sidearm. (Couldn't find coveralls with belt loops, suppose I could've added them)
Now, just layered thermals and jeans/parka.  Permanent heated blind 90% of the time. And plenty warm if moving.

If I ever do get back to putting a ladder or two up, I might break out the bibs again.
Link Posted: 7/2/2019 2:42:48 PM EDT
[#12]
I hunt from highs in the 80's sometimes in mid september with mosquitoes that could carry a man away to sub 0 highs in December with wind chills in the sub -20 range.

I don't even wear bibs, they're generally too restrictive.  I don't like carrying a side-arm in them, which I always do when bow hunting.  I don't like how they bunch up in the stand, they're too heavy(at least the one's I've had).

I have a layering system.

3 base options - hot/medium/cold
lots of mid options - none/tshirt/longsleeve shirt/sweatshirt(sweatpants)/fleece/wool and you can layer these as need be
1 outer layer - This is the jacket that I wear almost the entire time unless it's too warm...so anything above 50ish degrees.  Below that I add the jacket....as it gets colder, I start moving up the layers of mid and base.

With my warmest base layer, wool, and fleece mid layers, I'm good down into some real cold temps.  I used to wear bibs/heavy jackets, but they're too restrictive and seemed to never be the right temperature...either I was still cold OR too warm.  My current layering scheme seems to keep me at the right temp more often than not.  I generally dress for a bit colder than I think I need and I can shed a layer if necessary.
Link Posted: 7/3/2019 12:35:37 PM EDT
[#13]
I like insulated pants and jacket for maximum versatility. I like being able to put on and remove the pants without having to mess with my jacket and/or safety harness.
Link Posted: 7/4/2019 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I wear both, can't be to safe.
Link Posted: 8/13/2019 1:45:51 PM EDT
[#15]
I just use the cheap, LASER cut over pants and jacket.  Then I can wear whatever I want to under it.  Hot = t shirt and shorts.  Cold = bright blue ski suit.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#16]
Bibs and jacket. Better mobility and more versatile.
Link Posted: 9/26/2019 5:24:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Other than temp control
View Quote
Versatility. I can wear the coat and leave the bibs in camp.
Hiking in overalls would suck, but if you're parking the ATV next to stand it's a different story.
Link Posted: 9/27/2019 7:18:23 AM EDT
[#18]
Bibs and jacket. I like to wear what will allow me to walk to my stand without sweating. I carry a goose down jacket in my small backpack to put on under my camo jacket after I've climbed into my stand and cooled down.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 9:12:59 PM EDT
[#19]
I do bibs and a jacket which I think is superior to coveralls since if its cold out but I'm walking I can wear just my jacket and my legs will stay warm moving but if I'm sitting all day I wear the bibs and i'm as cozy as can be
Link Posted: 10/19/2019 1:11:21 PM EDT
[#20]
Don't think I replied in awhile.  Thanks everyone for the suggestions.  Ended up buy the elk fork line from Midway.  Got bibs and jacket when they were on sale.  Light and look warm but it hasn't been below 40 yet where I live.
Link Posted: 10/29/2019 9:51:23 PM EDT
[#21]
Bibs and jacket because sometimes I don't need the bibs.
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 8:08:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Coveralls by a mile.  They’re warmer, easier to put on, take off, no snaps, buttons, shit to deal with, just one simple zipper up front, sleek with no tail hanging out or straps to pull.   If they ride up your ass when you raise your arms, you need a larger size
Link Posted: 11/10/2019 9:05:56 PM EDT
[#23]
Coveralls for me. That plus a 1lb coffee can a roll of toilet paper and a bottle of isopropyl alcohol for a stand heater. Really old school I know. I do helicopter fly fishing. Go figure.
Link Posted: 11/13/2019 10:05:53 PM EDT
[#24]
I wear either Bibs and jacket or over pants and jacket. Coveralls are to bulky to carry in and to hot to wear if you have to travel any distance to get where you're going.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 2:28:42 PM EDT
[#25]
If Im stationary in the cold, Jeans and a long sleeve shirt or hoodie and a sleeping bag (army sleep system) warm and even when its daed ass cold the shirt comes off when i clean the deer.
Link Posted: 11/14/2019 3:43:11 PM EDT
[#26]
Bibs are really nice for gutting deer if you want to remove your parka to work. If you're processing it yourself using the gutless method that won't matter to you.

Potentially you can also leave the parka off driving out then put it on whereas coveralls are really on or off.

I use coveralls (aka a onesie). Keep them in the bed of the truck on the way out to cool down, then I change when I arrive and leave them loose. This helps the setup remain fairly temperature neutral so I don't build up heat and sweat on the way out, but they warm up very fast.

I'd buy a bib and parka but can't justify tossing the onesie until it fails in some way.
Link Posted: 11/17/2019 10:36:13 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Other than temp control
View Quote
Not smashing your balls when you reach up?

Chance of only crapping on half of you outfit when nature calls.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top