Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/2/2018 11:25:02 AM EDT
Anyone try them?
I have heard complaints of not flying hard and holding to tight/burrowing in.
I raise them, and trying to breed a bird that has a smaller frame/longer wing trait.
Tibetan/Manchurian cross is getting there.
Looking for input on what how they performed and  what age dog.
Thanks
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 11:53:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Most of the time poor flying birds have more to do with feed than anything.  Lots of feed is corn based.  It's not enough protein in their diet. Use a protein based feed for better fliers.

Pretty much all pen raised birds suck for training if you compare them to wild birds.  Also, quail in general tend to fly low.  That's not great for a new dog who may be a jumper.

Quail are finicky too.  You can have one sick bird on Monday and an entire dead pen by Thursday.

I'd go with chukar if I were to ever raise birds again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2018 3:19:38 PM EDT
[#2]
Bobwhite can be delicate, blue scale and gambels suck to raise.
I agree with diet, all my birds are on 28% protein flight conditioner.
In my area chukar and bobwhite have to be raised on wire, coturnix can be on the ground(sand  base in flight pens)
Another reason Im looking to try this is dog or game breeders permits, as none are needed for coturnix.
Cost would be cheaper than bobwhite, coturnix mature in 7-8 weeks, bobwhite 16-18, less feed .

Just looking to see if there is a market for them based on trainers responses.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top