Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/15/2023 1:07:01 PM EDT
This is a how to for anyone interested in running a Coleman Classic propane stove off a larger than 1 lb bottle.

I dislike the 1lb bottles.  They run out at the worst time and if the weather is cold and you are running the burners on high, the bottle can freeze up and slow or stop the flow of propane.  Larger bottles, due to their larger surface area and thermal mass, don't have this problem (at least at the withdrawal rates common to small stoves).  I like 5 lb and 11 lb bottles for camping because they are more compact and easier to move around.  But, this will work with 20 lb bottles (and larger) if you want to.  

The Coleman Classic propane stove comes with a little pipe and regulator that connects to the stove and then allows a connection to the 1 lb bottle.  You can use THIS hose to use your existing regulator with a larger bottle.  It feeds full bottle pressure to the stove regulator.  

I have some of these hoses but the issue is, they still use the factory regulator.  The factory regulator can be a bit fragile.  I prefer using the typical regulator on a tank and a direct hose connection.  The issue is, a typical propane regulator feeds 11 inches water column pressure of propane (well under 1 PSI).  The factory regulator for Coleman Classic stoves is about 15 PSI of propane to the burners.  

So, you can get a hose and connector to connect directly to the stove but you will have to change the regulator to one that you can increase the pressure manually to 15 PSI.  Below are the parts you'll need.  

THIS HOSE  It says it's for a Blackstone 17-22" griddle but it works with the Coleman Classic propane stove.  

THIS REGULATOR

You'll have to cut off the regulator off the hose and install the new regulator on the hose.  I used the proper size hose barb included with the new adjustable regulator and a 1/2 inch PEX clamp to secure it.  A hose clamp would work too.  

Works fantastic.  No more using the flimsy factory regulator and have a direct connection to the larger tank.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 4:53:07 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an old coleman fuel stove that was giving me some issues at the tank. I went and picked up one of the propane conversion valves for it. Works great. Now I can used liquid or gas.
Link Posted: 5/5/2023 5:03:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an old coleman fuel stove that was giving me some issues at the tank. I went and picked up one of the propane conversion valves for it. Works great. Now I can used liquid or gas.
View Quote

While I love the old white gas stoves, for ease of use propane is the way to go.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:15:39 AM EDT
[#3]
You may want to be careful about buying propane hoses on Amazon.   I bought these two of these:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01LDVM16K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and neither one worked for my Buddy heaters.  I thought that being marked as Mr Heater brand would mean that they were a quality product.   I was wrong.  I tried multiple propane tanks and multiple heaters.  I returned them as defective and bought the same thing from Home Depot.  

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Mr-Heater-Buddy-10-ft-L-Propane-Hose-Assembly-F273704/305092305

Packaging was the same.   Mr Heater part numbers were the same.   But the Home Depot hoses worked fine.  

I have also seen numerous reports of filters for propane hoses purchased from amazon coming apart.   Here is one of them:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B09MKXL7R5?tag=arfcom00-20

So when working with large quantities of flammable liquids, possible indoors I would recommend buying from a reputable source.

And to be clear, working with the larger tanks is a game changer.   I much prefer five pound tanks over the one pound tanks.   They are expensive up front but I use the stoves and heaters much more often now.  They are more reliable and they are much cheaper to run.   The last time I took three five pound tanks to be refilled (two empty and one half full) it cost me seven dollars.   That is a lot of run time on portable stove.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 9:54:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I’ve bought quite a few with zero issues. So far at least.

Did you remove the safety check ball from the large tank side? There is a nanny state safety function that is just a small white plastic ball and a little metal ring pressed in to hold it in place. There might be a spring under the plastic ball but maybe not….can’t remember. Anyway, you are supposed to turn on the gas slowly but if you don’t, that little ball will plug the line and you’ll get little to no gas flow. It’s a pain. Take a small screwdriver and pry it out and dump the ball out. Throw it away. Now it will work correctly. If you have a hose that won’t flow propane, check for that safety function and disable it. It’s stupid and useless. Probably why they make it so easy to disable.

I really like the 5lb and 11lb tank sizes. Super handy. All I use any more. I haven’t bought a 1 lb can in years. I refill them myself from my 500 gal home tank.
Link Posted: 5/6/2023 2:20:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Did you remove the safety check ball from the large tank side?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Did you remove the safety check ball from the large tank side?

No, but I did check the operation of the check valve and it APPEARED to be operating correctly.   I tend not to remove safety features unless pushed to do so.  Since it wasn't a crisis it wasn't worth the risk to modify it.   I choose not to reward businesses that sell/ship defective products.   So I returned the item for a refund and posted an appropriate review.  

Quoted:
I’ve bought quite a few with zero issues. So far at least.

I don't doubt that at all.   Some sellers on Amazon are great.    One issue is that (last I checked) "Fulfilled by Amazon" meant that same items are mixed together so you cannot be certain that the item you received was supplied by the seller in the listing that you bought from.   So even buying from your link might provide a product supplied by a different vendor.   Since it is so difficult ensuring that you are getting a quality item from Amazon I have stopped buying important items from them.   If I need to depend on it then I go someplace else to buy it.  

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:55:11 PM EDT
[#6]
I use a Propane bottle tree to the top of a 20Lb bottle. I can run my camp stove and lantern off the same bottle. At night when you are ready for bed, turn off the bottle and the remaining propane in the tree will keep the lantern going for around 3 to 5 minutes.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Stansport-Propane-Distribution-Post-up-to-3-Appliances-Backpacking-Camping-Hiking/19426441?from=searchResults
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top