Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/18/2020 11:54:22 PM EDT
First, I'll have a dipole in the attic.

Second, I realize the Comet CHA-250b is a compromise antenna, and their "no radial" thing only changes power to heat.  It was free.

I want to put it up in Flower Mound, TX, in an established neighborhood with trees.  I don't want to burn the house down, or cause a lightning strike.

I would LOVE it on top of the house to get some height, but that seems to be courting disaster.  I can always put up a 10-20 ft tall "tower" thru one of the trees in the backyard, but I'd need to run 150' of lmr400 to get to the shack.  (I DO have a remote tuner).

What are some things I can do to mitigate lightning issues?

Link Posted: 11/20/2020 8:02:30 PM EDT
[#1]
A 20 foot antenna ground mounted with radials will be more effective than a roof mount without by a wide margin.

Plus it's a smaller lightning target.

I'd skip the roof mount and just move it away from the house, and of course disconnect when not in use.
With a remote tuner you'll be in great shape. Before I switched to my 43' antenna I was using a 16' antenna
with a loading coil (Buddie stick with their military whips.) It worked surprisingly well, and even a modest radial
field at 0.1WL (basically eight 16-foot radials) was enough to make is passabily efficient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top