Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/3/2019 11:49:57 AM EDT
I posted a topic in the Ham section, but did not receive any response, and figured this might be more appropriate anyway since what I am getting at is more of an emergency preparedness topic than any.

Last week, I started looking at a better communication system for my wife and I out hunting.  We had been using marine band radios, and I have used the FRS radios in the past.  I wanted something more powerful than the FRS and legal, and recalled years ago seeing the mobile units on the GMRS band, so I started looking into that.

The primary use for the radios is for hunting so that I can communicate with my wife and daughters when out away from the truck.  Secondary is emergency/cell phone failure.  We frequently have times when the cell phones just decide not to work for an unknown reason.  Text messages may come through, or not.  Land line may work, but that does me no good if I can't get out on a cell phone to call home.  We live in the desert with a low population, so visibility, ability to communicate via two way radio is a non issue.

We have food, water, bullets, band-aids, gas and tools, but no reliable emergency communication.

I got my GMRS license this week.

There are also repeaters in the area that I can reach.

I want to set up a base at the house, a mobile in my truck, Jeep, wife's car and if I can find a waterproof option, my four wheeler, as well as a set of hand held radios for the entire family.

It seems that the only current production, repeater capable, options are the BTECH GMRS V-1, and the Midland MXT115, 275 and 400. TYT seems to have received an FCC grant for a mobile unit, but it does not appear they are in the United States yet. There are several GMRS and FRS radios that are not repeater capable as well.

What is everyone using, and what other options are you aware of for GMRS legal radios?  How have they worked in the real world?

On a side note, draw to me for the license was the fact that it covers a large portion of my family for 10 with no test required.

Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:39:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing you listed will accomplish what you want.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:47:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Please elaborate.

I need to talk to my wife via two way radio.  From mobile to mobile, hand held to mobile, mobile to home when in view, and possibly mobile/hand held/base to repeater.

If none of the radios I have listed won't work, then what will?
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:51:05 PM EDT
[#4]
You might want to look at a Rino 530hcx. It has the high power GMRS with GPS capability, and most of all you can scramble you communications to make them private except to other Rino users as well. It also can access the repeaters. It has a wealth of other features tool. The newer 600 series Rinos are not as well rated as the older 500 series, so what is available in a 530hcx will be a used unit. There's many listed on Ebay.

Also you should note that in many states hunting using two way radios is illegal, like it is here in Iowa. So double check your regulations!
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:00:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Also you should note that in many states hunting using two way radios is illegal, like it is here in Iowa. So double check your regulations!
View Quote
Not an issue here in Nevada.

I have not looked at Garmin yet.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:03:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote
Actually, it might.  The OP hasn't really defined his expectations/needs but from his original post, GMRS just might do what he needs.  He said his primary use would be for hunting and many people use GMRS for exactly that.  Plus, the OP lives in the desert and wide open spaces are more conducive to radio communications.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:29:57 PM EDT
[#7]
Desert does not mean flat unobstructed line of sight.  You are correct, Distance will be a major factor, I would pick up some gear to operate on the available itinerate freqs. plenty of used kenwood and other commecial grade stuff on the market.
I'm thinking he's talking about a cross banding set up, for ht to vehicle to base.  And even if he can hit a couple repeaters in gmrs, will owners / trustee appreciate his use?
Will he want a tower to get antennas up high enough to cover his AO?  http://www.va3xpr.net/three-easy-steps-to-creating-rf-coverage-maps-like-a-pro/
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 1:52:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I understand the basic rules in regards to radio signal/distance/antenna height and it's general limitations.

I also have permission to access several repeaters, and several that are travel tone/open repeaters.

What I am trying to find is people who use current production, legal GMRS radios, and what their experience is with them.

I have listed the ones that I found that are higher power than the bubble pack FRS radios and know of several hand helds that are not repeater capable.  (Midland, Motorola, Cobra).

I am trying to complete a list of options that are available before I decide on what to buy, and do not want to mess with the older, discontinued Kenwood or Motorola radios.  Commercial radios, by design, are not GMRS legal, at least not by the current rules which changed in 2017.  Using an older radio is probably ok, but I just don't want to mess with it.

If there are no other radios out there that I haven't listed, then ok, I will pick from what's available.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 2:25:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Well that clears that up, and I'll go back to my original statement.  Good luck with your search.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Buy used gear. Figure a few grand.

I started out that way. Figure home setup 10 to 15 miles range.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:11:57 AM EDT
[#11]
My suggestion would be go ahead and upgrade your radio license to an Amateur Radio Technician license.  The test is stupid easy,  a day or two of reviewing the material and you all should be good to go.

Set up a mobile/base station at home, mobile rigs in the vehicles with crossband repeat capabilities, then HT's for when you are out on foot.

What you want is all readily available via amateur radio.

Semper Fi
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:45:35 AM EDT
[#12]
Since you paid the bux for a GMRS license, you might want to look at higher power GMRS radios such as this one - Midland MXT-400 40W radio

With a good antenna and depending on terrain, you should get maybe 10-15 miles. If both ends are at ground level, that distance may be shortened, on the order of a few miles. If you're using a repeater (make sure you have permission from the owner) with a tower antenna, you should be able to go ~60 miles from one end of the repeater coverage to the other.

ETA: Like the poster above, I'd still suggest getting your Amateur Radio License at least General class. With HF you can communicate from tens to tens of thousands of miles.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 11:25:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Since you paid the bux for a GMRS license, you might want to look at higher power GMRS radios such as this one - Midland MXT-400 40W radio

With a good antenna and depending on terrain, you should get maybe 10-15 miles. If both ends are at ground level, that distance may be shortened, on the order of a few miles. If you're using a repeater (make sure you have permission from the owner) with a tower antenna, you should be able to go ~60 miles from one end of the repeater coverage to the other.

ETA: Like the poster above, I'd still suggest getting your Amateur Radio License at least General class. With HF you can communicate from tens to tens of thousands of miles.
View Quote
That is one radio I do have on my list.

I also found another handheld, that may fit my needs as well.  (TERA TR 505)

The big draw to the GMRS license for me was the fact that my whole family can talk on the more powerful radios, legally with no other license required.

I do have permission on four towers at the moment.  One I know I can hit from my house as a friend does (it's his tower).

I think I have found about all there is to find at the moment in regards to current legal GMRS radios.

Thank you.

Ham - may look into that in the future.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 5:10:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My suggestion would be go ahead and upgrade your radio license to an Amateur Radio Technician license.  The test is stupid easy,  a day or two of reviewing the material and you all should be good to go.

Set up a mobile/base station at home, mobile rigs in the vehicles with crossband repeat capabilities, then HT's for when you are out on foot.

What you want is all readily available via amateur radio.

Semper Fi
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:00:59 AM EDT
[#15]
I'd just buy used Motorola or Kenwood commercial gear and program it myself or have it done. Used mobiles /portables can be had for under $100 each. Getting them programmed might be a pain unless you know somebody or have a shop to just do it.
Link Posted: 3/6/2019 11:05:10 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'd just buy used Motorola or Kenwood commercial gear and program it myself or have it done. Used mobiles /portables can be had for under $100 each. Getting them programmed might be a pain unless you know somebody or have a shop to just do it.
View Quote
This is what I would do, there are a few folks here that are well versed in the used market and setup, be it for Amateur or GMRS or heaven forbid a commercial license (more money but worth it).
Link Posted: 3/7/2019 12:32:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Some people don’t realize the recent FCC changes have made GMRS useful. Several friends have zero interest in HAM even though I’ve been prodding them for years.

We just bought several Midland MXT275’s and upgraded antennas for a road trip. Installed  in a small, cheap harbor freight plastic ammo type can. Highly portable with magnetic mount antenna and respectable 10+ mile range.

If you can’t get those around you to invest the time and learning curve into HAM, then it does you no good.

Higher output GMRS, choice of antennas and easability of use; go with what you’re thinking.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top