Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2019 7:32:27 AM EDT
I've done both, but wanted to see what everyone preferred. Do you hunt from a stationary position (stand, back of truck) or do you go looking for them and walk up on them?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:04:11 AM EDT
[#1]
Stationary out of my deer blind hunting over the feeder.   Soooooo much easier to drink beer when hunting from stationary.  
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 12:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
I HAAATE sitting in the stand and waiting for the animals to come to me. So boring. So I am almost always on foot, or scanning from the truck and then stalking on foot.
Occasionally I set up in the bed of the truck with a tripod and use my electronic hog/predator caller.  This is another great way to get hogs to come to you.

Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:09:54 PM EDT
[#3]
I like walking around, but you do risk spooking animals more often. Sitting around sucks, but you less likely to scare anything away. It's the lazy hunter to set bait and wait, but it does work well. Walking around you might get nothing all day, but it's more sportsman like.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 1:44:08 PM EDT
[#4]
If you hunt on foot, y'all ever worry about getting F'd up if they run towards you?
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 4:08:48 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
If you hunt on foot, y'all ever worry about getting F'd up if they run towards you?
View Quote
Hell yeah, that's half the fun!
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:02:06 PM EDT
[#6]
We hardly ever sit. Only if we’re on a new spot that’s fresh, and it obviously a really big sounder coming in. Like 20 acres overnight big ... But we’re pretty fortunate to have access to lots of dirt .

I’ve hunted with several folks that swear calling pigs works .  I’ve never seen it be effective personally.  We sat in one spot for an hour one time with a guy that was using a call. Eventually a single came out 300ish yds away. He said see I told you so . But we’ve literally never gone to that spot and not seen pigs, so I can’t say for certain weather it’s effective or not .  I will say that I’d be willing to try again if somebody has one and wants to tag along. I’m just skeptical about it. But that’s strictly MY experience, not saying it can’t/won’t work in other areas, or operated in a more useful way maybe?

ETA.    Hope doesn’t sound argumentative about the caller usage. Just thinking out loud really .  Whatever helps you shoot them in the face from a very short distance
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 8:03:24 PM EDT
[#7]
It depends on the land and gear.  Thermal and good space to move, definitely take the action to them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:10:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Go them most definitely. Although I do have one or two spots that I put corn out, I sneak up to those then move and check woods and swamp.
I use a camera on the corn pile to help pattern them.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:24:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Depends on what mood I'm in and how bad the mosquitos are!
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:51:26 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’ve hunted with several folks that swear calling pigs works .  I’ve never seen it be effective personally.  We sat in one spot for an hour one time with a guy that was using a call. Eventually a single came out 300ish yds away. He said see I told you so . But we’ve literally never gone to that spot and not seen pigs, so I can’t say for certain weather it’s effective or not .  I will say that I’d be willing to try again if somebody has one and wants to tag along. I’m just skeptical about it. But that’s strictly MY experience, not saying it can’t/won’t work in other areas, or operated in a more useful way maybe?
View Quote
I've been calling hogs for a year and a half now, so take this FWIW: In my experience, either they appear immediately after hearing the caller, or not at all.  I never spend more than 15 minutes in one spot, unless I'm switching to yote calling after the pigs no-showed.  An hour is a complete waste of your time, IMO.

When hogs respond to the caller, they're usually mad as hell.  In the GIF I posted earlier, you can see the caller on the left side of the image.  More than once, I've had a lead sow try to destroy the caller before I started shooting.  Whatever that sound is is something that gets mama pig incredibly agitated.  Shooting an advancing sounder is the biggest adrenaline rush I've ever felt while hunting.

I have never successfully called a lone boar, but I've seen it done by Glenn Guess (the inventor of all my sounds) many times.  The iPhone app has boar-specific sounds, and I always start with them like he teaches, but it hasn't worked yet.

Look at the timestamps in these two videos from the same night.  The first video is when I arrived and saw hogs eating the cows' hay.  The second video is a sounder coming in to me using Sow Hysteria from my caller.  It doesn't always work out like this, but it sure is cool when it happens.  I don't have giant swaths of agricultural land to traverse like some of you guys.  On my little properties, hogs are either there, or they ain't.  Using the caller has increased my odds of seeing pigs (and drawing them from neighboring properties) exponentially.

Happy shooting.

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:21:24 PM EDT
[#11]
EDIT: @Tmm1270, I didn't see your Calling Pigs thread until just now.  I will transfer my reply—let's talk about it over there.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 4:00:55 PM EDT
[#12]
A friend and I trap an 1100 and 400 acre place.  It's so thick except for a few shooting lanes and maybe 1/4 acre open areas for a feeder and trap.  We kinda have to sit in a blind.  Still hunting is a blast.  I wish I could do it more.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:02:31 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
A friend and I trap an 1100 and 400 acre place.  It's so thick except for a few shooting lanes and maybe 1/4 acre open areas for a feeder and trap.  We kinda have to sit in a blind.  Still hunting is a blast.  I wish I could do it more.
View Quote
What part of the Republic are you in?  I know a guy that could maybe help you out with the whole go chase them down thing .....
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:26:46 PM EDT
[#14]
87% from a stand. 10%  from buggy. 3% stalk.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:28:06 AM EDT
[#15]
I prefer to move. They usually don't stay in one spot too long and moving increases the chances of crossing paths with them. My permitted pastures are spread out along several miles. It takes about an hour just to make the loop while driving and spotting. This works for open areas.

If you are on a limited amount of land or it's wooded, I reckon you takes what you can get and try to wait them out. Even then, I would use a couple of bait stations to keep them in the area longer. Walking a  string of baited spots is better than watching a single feeder IMO. Try to set them up crossways to the prevailing winds so you can hunt out and back.

My best spot is a feed lot where the rancher mixes his own feed and adds a molasses component. That shit is piggy crack. They come in EVERY night just after dark, I've even had to wait for them to come out of the feed barn. It's just a matter of holding in for a clear shot around cows. Not uncommon to have them within 10-20ft if the wind cooperates. I always start there and then ride by the other pastures, maybe backtracking to check it every half hour or so. Because cattle are always an issue, my average is something like 50 pigs spotted for every one shot. If there isn't a bull in the mix, sometimes you can move with the cows to get closer. I had a cantankerous  bull put me back in my truck once. If I hunt the pasture he's in, I always stay near the fence.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:29:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Sorry about the two posts, I'm still in New Guy jail.

I got in the middle of a few cows and walked right up on this sow & sqealers. They are 10-15yds away in this pic, took it with my phone. The cows decided to wander off and left me standing there, the pig looked up and decided that I wasn't supposed to be there.  She got kinda pissy, started popping her teefs and grunting. I couldn't shoot because of the calf that insisted on staying right behind her. Finally I had to shoot into the ground between us to make her leave....she went down two nights later in the same spot.

Link Posted: 6/21/2019 12:19:51 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:If you are on a limited amount of land or it's wooded, I reckon you takes what you can get and try to wait them out. Even then, I would use a couple of bait stations to keep them in the area longer. Walking a  string of baited spots is better than watching a single feeder IMO.
View Quote
Good call. I should have mentioned this.  I deploy pig pipes for this exact reason.  Once they find them, they tend to stay for a while.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 12:03:40 AM EDT
[#18]
Ride around on ATVs/utvs most of the time and walk in from 150-200yds depending on the area. If the wind is wrong and there is no other way I usually do drive bys. Come in hot, do my best to stop but usually do some shooting on the move. Shooting pigs from a helicopter really isn't that bad after hauling ass across a field, using nods, and letting Jesus take the handlebars so you can shoot pigs.
Link Posted: 9/28/2019 7:34:13 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Ride around on ATVs/utvs most of the time and walk in from 150-200yds depending on the area. If the wind is wrong and there is no other way I usually do drive bys. Come in hot, do my best to stop but usually do some shooting on the move. Shooting pigs from a helicopter really isn't that bad after hauling ass across a field, using nods, and letting Jesus take the handlebars so you can shoot pigs.
View Quote
We got a slide down windshield in the Ranger that works well for the blitzkrieg attack.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 8:46:53 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Go them most definitely. Although I do have one or two spots that I put corn out, I sneak up to those then move and check woods and swamp.
I use a camera on the corn pile to help pattern them.
View Quote
This.

Many of the places I’m working it would be near impossible to move on them and not be detected. It is a bit different in hills and mountains vs flat fields.

I’ve got several farms right now I have feeders on. I ride and scan with the thermal if I can, then try to move on them if spotted. Some places require getting their pattern and sitting on a stand. I’m about to dip into a few cell cameras to give me an alert when they are on a spot so I can just grab my stuff and ride.
Link Posted: 10/6/2019 3:40:49 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

I’m about to dip into a few cell cameras to give me an alert when they are on a spot so I can just grab my stuff and ride.
View Quote
I'm at this point as well. Actually I think I'd prefer something like a laser "trip wire" that would send a simple text if the beam is broken for more than a set time. Seems like I could cover the whole length of a field if the grass is kept trimmed.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 12:24:27 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted: I’m about to dip into a few cell cameras to give me an alert when they are on a spot so I can just grab my stuff and ride.
View Quote
I'll be interested to hear how you like them.  I'm about to put a cowbell (no shit) on each of my pig pipes, so I can hear them from across the ranch.
Link Posted: 10/7/2019 7:57:11 AM EDT
[#23]
My brother just got a new place to hunt and he has set up some ARLO cameras. They show live video, record and has a motion detector. His works of Verizon cell service and it works pretty good.
Link Posted: 10/11/2019 3:23:59 PM EDT
[#24]
We walk right up on them. Backfired last weekend though, as we got charged by a couple of them. I have hunted from a stand too, but the on-foot stuff is much more fun
Link Posted: 10/12/2019 10:07:24 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
We walk right up on them. Backfired last weekend though, as we got charged by a couple of them. I have hunted from a stand too, but the on-foot stuff is much more fun
View Quote
How'd that backfire?  Then it's more face shots
Link Posted: 11/5/2019 9:32:03 AM EDT
[#26]
I always prefer to stalk hunt, but it's tough to do where I've hunted here in Florida.  So much undergrowth everywhere makes it difficult to even move so I've resorted to treestand hunting that last few years.  I see a lot more deer this way, but it's not nearly as fun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top