Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/19/2019 11:52:41 PM EDT
I have been keeping an eye out for one of the catalytic heaters for awhile and finally found a complete one that looks like it was never used at a local thrift store for $12. 8-74 date code and it's a 3000 to 5000 BTU with light green paint. I will be testing it out tomorrow and have watched a YouTube video of the teardown to repair any issues that may arise. Love these old Colemans that can be easily repaired with parts that are still available. Want to find one more heater and a old Coleman white gas stove. Anyone have or still use these heaters ?
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:10:18 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is anything like the Zippo hand warmers then I would expect it to work great. Might have to look into picking up one of those old ones.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 12:16:37 AM EDT
[#2]
I have one. It’s pretty underwhelming. I’m a collector wanted one just because but have used it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 1:50:19 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a Coleman Black Cat catalytic heater that uses the one pound propane bottle. We used two of them in an 8 man dome tent camped at about 9500 feet while on a deer hunt about a dozen years ago. It was way way better than no heat.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 2:39:39 AM EDT
[#4]
My dad bought one for ice fishing about 40 years ago.

It's out in the garage somewhere. I'm too cheap to pour that much white gas in it.  
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 6:07:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I use them from time to time.

Trick to lighting them is to turn them upside down until a wet spot appears in the center of the dome.  Turn right side up, and light the wet spot.

You'll get just enough heat to warm ya up a bit when sitting out on the deck in the spring or fall.  Never used one camping.  Original literature said they do not emit carbon monoxide, but do mention depleting oxygen in a tent.  I ran one of mine next to a carbon monoxide detector and confirmed no issue.

YMMV.

Ray
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 7:10:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I recall an issue with them, something about asbestos. YMMV
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:24:30 AM EDT
[#7]
I collect Coleman products. I purchased a catalytic heater 2 years ago just to have, I never tried to light it.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:30:14 AM EDT
[#8]
I inherited mine along with the rest of the camping stuff my parents had. It was buried in the attic at my ex's house. Dug it out after I took my fiance out on a camping trip and fired it up. It works. Flipping it upside down to light....I think if I use it I will just pour a spot of gas on i the top next time and give it a few minutes to soak down. Haven't gotten her back out in a tent yet.
Link Posted: 11/20/2019 9:40:00 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Trick to lighting them is to turn them upside down until a wet spot appears in the center of the dome.  Turn right side up, and light the wet spot.

You'll get just enough heat to warm ya up a bit when sitting out on the deck in the spring or fall.  Never used one camping.  Original literature said they do not emit carbon monoxide, but do mention depleting oxygen in a tent.  I ran one of mine next to a carbon monoxide detector and confirmed no issue.

YMMV.

Ray
View Quote
Believe the correct way light one is to fill with fuel and then pour fuel on the burner in a X pattern then light.
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:34:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Believe the correct way light one is to fill with fuel and then pour fuel on the burner in a X pattern then light.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

YMMV.

Ray
I just got a free one from FB marketplace the other day.  Haven't lit it up yet but have seen both of the above suggestions, on the Coleman Collectors pages and YouTube
Link Posted: 11/22/2019 12:40:49 PM EDT
[#11]
I had one like in the picture below.  First time I went to light it, something went wrong, and it turned into an uncontrollable fireball.

Use with caution, outside, with a fire extinguisher nearby.

Link Posted: 11/23/2019 4:24:27 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Original literature said they do not emit carbon monoxide, but do mention depleting oxygen in a tent.
View Quote
If the oxygen concentration drops too much, they WILL produce lethal amounts of CO.

That's just the nature of all air-burners: As available O2 drops, the CO output increases exponentially.

ETA: One of the guys in my tiny high school class lost a wife and her sister to CO poisoning while camping in a tent with the heater running. It's "not a problem" until it kills you.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:37:15 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have been keeping an eye out for one of the catalytic heaters for awhile and finally found a complete one that looks like it was never used at a local thrift store for $12. 8-74 date code and it's a 3000 to 5000 BTU with light green paint. I will be testing it out tomorrow and have watched a YouTube video of the teardown to repair any issues that may arise. Love these old Colemans that can be easily repaired with parts that are still available. Want to find one more heater and a old Coleman white gas stove. Anyone have or still use these heaters ?
View Quote
I’ve got one, only used it once-worked a treat and it was garbage picked.
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 10:39:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I inherited mine along with the rest of the camping stuff my parents had. It was buried in the attic at my ex's house. Dug it out after I took my fiance out on a camping trip and fired it up. It works. Flipping it upside down to light....I think if I use it I will just pour a spot of gas on i the top next time and give it a few minutes to soak down. Haven't gotten her back out in a tent yet.
View Quote
The Fiancé or the heater?  People die all the time from running a lantern in a tent, do not use this heater in a tent, ever.
Link Posted: 12/4/2019 7:06:06 PM EDT
[#15]
This. I've used one many times in duck & goose blinds. GTG.
Link Posted: 12/10/2019 9:48:45 PM EDT
[#16]
I've got two of the Coleman 513a heaters.  They work well enough in a smaller area but as noted, you have to keep the area well ventilated.  Pretty sure the last time one of them was lit was around 2002 or so; I'm sure they'd fire up now if I fueled them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top