Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/18/2021 9:44:16 PM EDT
Cold Steel makes a simple recurve crossbow with a cocking lever that makes loading and shooting faster than probably any crossbow around. Not the most powerful out there, but I'm sure it would be fine for small and medium game. I've tried a buddy's and its a fun piece. In a survival situation being able to take a small animal without a gunshot would be a useful thing.

They normally sell in the low $200's with occasional sales. I had it in my cart at Midway and the price dropped to $155, best price I've seen on them, so time for me to order one. It's no big-game hunting crossbow, but pretty cool for what it is.

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1021053111?pid=680405
Link Posted: 6/19/2021 12:00:01 AM EDT
[#1]
ordered.  thanks!
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 4:34:03 AM EDT
[#2]
My wife wants a crossbow this looks promising.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 6:32:51 AM EDT
[#3]
I love my crossbows but they are a pain in the ass compared to compounds. Looks like a fun piece.
Link Posted: 6/20/2021 7:23:46 PM EDT
[#4]
226fps with a 175gr bolt is basically a toy considering most broadheads are 100-125gr by themselves.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:01:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Update: So the crossbow and some extra bolts arrived last week. Midway shipped really quickly. It is simple to put together, with pins that holds the bow and stock in place, so you can disassemble it and fit it into a backpack in 30 seconds. I installed a budget red dot sight I had around.

Overall, I like it. It a fun and accurate crossbow. The cocking mechanism makes it simple and quick to load up the next shot. Even with the cocking lever, you need reasonable strength to draw the bow, a child or some ladies my have difficulty. It's well made, considering it is a budget tool. The adjustable M4 type stock is tight, probably because the buffer tube has a coat of paint, so I might sand it off some to free it up.

It's clearly not suitable for deer sized game, but I understood that when I got it. It is quiet and accurate at 20 yards, and I'm sure you can shoot a bit further but that's the range I was shooting at. I had to shoot at each dot on the target separately, because I already peeled off one vane from the bolt (arrow) as it was shooting a pretty tight group when I was aiming at the same spot.

So my experience is that for the price, it is a fun thing. It's fair to call it a small game bow, not a toy, since it would probably put an arrow 10" into your chest. I'm familiar with full power hunting crossbows, and used to shoot a 65# compound bow, and this does not have near that level of power, but it's pretty good for what it is. Judging by the depth the bolts went in to the target, I would say it is similar in power to a 40 or 45 pound recurve bow that I've used before.
Link Posted: 6/26/2021 6:12:23 PM EDT
[#6]
Cool toy at the very least!
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 2:22:10 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote

plenty of deer killed with weakers stuff than that.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 4:39:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Like what kind of stuff?
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:22:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I love mine, super fun and fast to shoot.  I added a quiver for extra bolts and junked the optic it came with.  Running a buris red dot and the thing is plenty deadly.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top