Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/16/2020 2:55:58 PM EDT
In week 3 of healing leg AIDS ( large rash). It started with scratches, became like bad poison ivy, and now is healing as a sunburn. Also saw cinnabar moths in the area. So it was hogweed

Questions for survivalist experts:
1. Which substances are best for cleaning such oily substances from a synthetic sleeping bag slept in while contaminated and similar gear?
2. Best type of wipes/cleaner to carry for cleaning skin after suspected exposure?
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:13:56 PM EDT
[#1]
Dawn dish soap and hot water
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 3:17:42 PM EDT
[#2]
You can get this at wally world in the laundry soap section.

t
Link Posted: 7/16/2020 4:03:25 PM EDT
[#3]
interesting, dawn dish soap is straightforward, maybe also with isopropyl spray for "rinsing" something I dont want to soak. Will check out the 2nd product thanks
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 1:03:16 AM EDT
[#4]
You're trying to clean off oils, so things like Dawn soap work well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:09:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/19/2020 9:36:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

This, you want a detergent.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
You're trying to clean off oils, so things like Dawn soap work well.

This, you want a detergent.

and go to the laundromat to do it, especially sleeping bags. Usually hotter water and larger capacity machines with more rinse water.
Link Posted: 7/20/2020 3:28:53 AM EDT
[#7]
First time posting and this one had me hit the reply button:

I'm a long time Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac sufferer.  It's landed me in some bad shape several times.  

The cleaner I'd recommend is:  Technu.  

It's a skin/clothing/cloth cleaner that can be had in several forms.  A good wash with it after a suspected exposure seems to get it off pretty darn well.  Also, once things go poorly and the bumps show up, Technu seems to prevent the spread pretty good.  On my skin, it seems to dry up the rash as well, speeding up heal time.  The liquid works great for me, but they have single use wipes as well.

I don't have any affiliation with them other than a happy user.  Hope that helps.  

--Click
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:20:45 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
First time posting and this one had me hit the reply button:

I'm a long time Poison Ivy/Oak/Sumac sufferer.  It's landed me in some bad shape several times.  

The cleaner I'd recommend is:  Technu.  

It's a skin/clothing/cloth cleaner that can be had in several forms.  A good wash with it after a suspected exposure seems to get it off pretty darn well.  Also, once things go poorly and the bumps show up, Technu seems to prevent the spread pretty good.  On my skin, it seems to dry up the rash as well, speeding up heal time.  The liquid works great for me, but they have single use wipes as well.

I don't have any affiliation with them other than a happy user.  Hope that helps.  

--Click
View Quote

Thanks @Click09, I just now realized this thread had some new replies, this product looks interesting as it contains an integrated anti-itch. Ordered some, and I might give it a try after bare handed cucumber picking.
Link Posted: 8/2/2020 1:24:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

and go to the laundromat to do it, especially sleeping bags. Usually hotter water and larger capacity machines with more rinse water.
View Quote

Any idea how different kind of sleeping bags may react to washing/drying? I looked all over and can't find wash instructions on this one, it's a kelty sleep system synthetic bag, the fancier one with quick exit velcro options. It seemed fine after wiping with dishsoap water and spraying with alcohol. I'd imagine the feather ones would be a no go in the laundry, but not sure if there is anything to be concerned about on the synthetic ones
Link Posted: 8/4/2020 7:57:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Any idea how different kind of sleeping bags may react to washing/drying? I looked all over and can't find wash instructions on this one, it's a kelty sleep system synthetic bag, the fancier one with quick exit velcro options. It seemed fine after wiping with dishsoap water and spraying with alcohol. I'd imagine the feather ones would be a no go in the laundry, but not sure if there is anything to be concerned about on the synthetic ones
View Quote

It would be a good idea to contact the manufacturer for recommendations.

This video has some good info on removing urushiol (the oil in poison ivy, oak, and sumac) from your skin:

How to never have a serious poison ivy rash again

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:17:07 AM EDT
[#11]
I react very....VERY poorly to poison ivy, oak, sumac. Like go to the doctor and get a Z-Pack type bad so I tend to be pretty aggressive when it comes to cleaning things up that have potentially contacted any of the oils.

If you have access to hot running water then Dawn dish soap and a washcloth is close to 100% effective in removing the oils from your skin.
The washcloth is needed for actually scrubbing and getting the oils off of your skin.

Tecnu works if you have limited access to water but Dawn is still better.

For getting the urshinol off of clothing and other fabrics just about any laundry detergent will work. The urshinol is just a plant based oil. It is not terribly difficult to remove from clothing via regular washing methods. When I have clothing that I know or suspect has been exposed I typically launder in our regular washing machine using hot water and about 50% extra detergent. Never had an issue.

For your sleeping bag, I would follow the manufacturers recommendations on washing although the laundromat is a good idea for the larger capacity washers. Most home machines are not really big enough to get a good wash and rinse on something as bulky as a sleeping bag.

Link Posted: 8/4/2020 8:44:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Also saw cinnabar moths in the area. So it was hogweed
View Quote

Mind sharing where?  What general area of what state?
Link Posted: 8/5/2020 11:22:33 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I react very....VERY poorly to poison ivy, oak, sumac. Like go to the doctor and get a Z-Pack type bad so I tend to be pretty aggressive when it comes to cleaning things up that have potentially contacted any of the oils.

If you have access to hot running water then Dawn dish soap and a washcloth is close to 100% effective in removing the oils from your skin.
The washcloth is needed for actually scrubbing and getting the oils off of your skin.

For getting the urshinol off of clothing and other fabrics just about any laundry detergent will work. The urshinol is just a plant based oil. It is not terribly difficult to remove from clothing via regular washing methods. When I have clothing that I know or suspect has been exposed I typically launder in our regular washing machine using hot water and about 50% extra detergent. Never had an issue.

For your sleeping bag, I would follow the manufacturers recommendations on washing although the laundromat is a good idea for the larger capacity washers. Most home machines are not really big enough to get a good wash and rinse on something as bulky as a sleeping bag.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

All of this is good advice except for the part about washing yourself with hot water- hot water opens your pores. Start with cold water and your choice of soap, then you can use hot water but you want to get as much of the oil off as you can before you open those pores up (sounds like a beauty commercial or something ).  I keep a small bottle of Camp Suds or Dr. Bronner's in my truck since they rinse easily and are biodegradable.  If I think I may have rubbed a plant while hiking or mountain biking I'll wash off as soon as I get back to my truck.  Confession, my truck is like a Swiss Army knife (or maybe a junk drawer) with a lot of camping stuff left in it.  I also keep a Simple Shower (https://www.simple-shower.com/) in the truck; it screws onto a water bottle for a quick rinse.  No relation to the company, just an early buyer who likes the product.

I've used Tecnu before but honestly, I didn't find it to be any more effective than cheaper soap. They used to make a pre-exposure lotion that you rubbed on like sunscreen but I guess they dropped it; I tried a bottle of it but have no idea if it really helped- I probably sweated it all off anyways.  

From the Tecnu website.
If you know, or think you have been, exposed to poison ivy plants (or poison oak and sumac) apply Tecnu Original to dry skin, rub vigorously for two minutes, then rinse with cool or tepid water. Although it is a soap, it can also be used without water. If you do not have access to water, you can remove Tecnu Original by wiping it off with a cloth.
https://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:55:08 PM EDT
[#14]
Anything you can cut grease with

Dawn and a cloth, one of the many gritty hand cleaners like gojo or fast orange, or hand and tool wipes. Gojo wipes are great, but I have started using and like these- https://www.amazon.com/Proferred-T99001-Hand-Wipes-Canister/dp/B0195FGFHC
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 3:42:30 AM EDT
[#15]
Absolutely.  Poison ivy/oak has literally put me in the hospital before.  Limiting exposure, and washing quickly after you realize it have helped enormously.
Link Posted: 8/15/2020 4:02:56 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Absolutely.  Poison ivy/oak has literally put me in the hospital before.  Limiting exposure, and washing quickly after you realize it have helped enormously.
View Quote
I have a severe reaction to it also.  Without massive amounts of prednisone, I'm looking at a couple of months to recover from a mild exposure.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 1:12:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Sonofabitch.  Turns out I have several large stands of hogweed on my property.  Time to fucking eradicate that shit.
Link Posted: 8/16/2020 10:45:31 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

All of this is good advice except for the part about washing yourself with hot water- hot water opens your pores. Start with cold water and your choice of soap, then you can use hot water but you want to get as much of the oil off as you can before you open those pores up (sounds like a beauty commercial or something ).  I keep a small bottle of Camp Suds or Dr. Bronner's in my truck since they rinse easily and are biodegradable.  If I think I may have rubbed a plant while hiking or mountain biking I'll wash off as soon as I get back to my truck.  Confession, my truck is like a Swiss Army knife (or maybe a junk drawer) with a lot of camping stuff left in it.  I also keep a Simple Shower (https://www.simple-shower.com/) in the truck; it screws onto a water bottle for a quick rinse.  No relation to the company, just an early buyer who likes the product.

I've used Tecnu before but honestly, I didn't find it to be any more effective than cheaper soap. They used to make a pre-exposure lotion that you rubbed on like sunscreen but I guess they dropped it; I tried a bottle of it but have no idea if it really helped- I probably sweated it all off anyways.  

From the Tecnu website.
https://www.teclabsinc.com/products/poison-oak-ivy/tecnu
View Quote

This^^^

Techno is spendy and I haven't found it to be anymore effective than Dawn dishsoap.

And plus 1 to cold wash first. My protocol for bodily exposure is lather up dry before getting in the shower. Cold rinse, then lather again and cold rinse again. Then a 3rd wash in warm water.
Link Posted: 9/7/2020 2:57:30 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Mind sharing where?  What general area of what state?
View Quote

Sure, southern unincorporated king county. Logged out area with lots of plants growing as the trees were still small.

I had been chasing this little guy and not watching the ground too well.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:22:26 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Dawn dish soap and hot water
View Quote

From a guy who had had poison ivy thousands of times, this is the right answer.

Fels-naptha doesn't suds up well. Dawn is 1000 times better.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:42:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Long time Poison Ivy sufferer here.  The Dawn is #1, but something else you MUST remember, the only way to really get the oil off is using something to mechanically scrub it off.  I don't mean a Dremel but a washcloth is a n absolute must.  You cannot get if off with just sudsing up with Dawn dish soap.  It won't take it off.  A washcloth or rage or even a wet paper towel with soap is the only way.

LD
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:58:42 PM EDT
[#22]
What about immediate application of hand sanitizer?  Doesn't alcohol act as a solvent?
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:35:28 PM EDT
[#23]
My only worry with alcohol would be that it quickly absorbs into skin.  Thinking it may take the thinned oil into your skin.  I would think a baby wipe or handwipe would work better in a pinch.

LD
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 4:51:20 PM EDT
[#24]
I’m a firefighter in CA. We frequently find ourselves in poison oak. Just yesterday we were cutting through huge bushes of the stuff. Dawn dish soap and Technu is what we use.

Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:28:21 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 9/25/2020 10:41:13 PM EDT
[#26]
The product that we oust around here is techneu.

The fels naphtha product is good as well.

I Start with techneu after a possible exposure followed by three or four scrubbings using dish soap.

Then I jump in shower and scrub down again.

Clothing gets triple washed.

Boots get scrubbed outside with dish soap.

Good luck
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top