Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/31/2018 9:21:41 PM EDT
I’m putting together a family emergency communications plan. I have a few ht’s now. I plan on programming all local repeaters yo memory channels to make them easier. I’m also wanting to put a few 2m and 70cm simplex freqencies in to also use for 2 way comms. Is there really any rule on how to choose or jus choose anything between 144-148/ 440-450 and go with it? Thx
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 9:39:02 PM EDT
[#1]
There are specific portions of each band (2M and 440) for dedicated simplex ops.

Google "ARRL Band plan" for specifics. You can find nice downloadable color band plans.

ETA - Oh, welcome to the forum! Nice use of your 87th post.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:11:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you. And sorry for the newbish question. Someday I seem like I have a lot of this figured out and other days I realize I’m missing stuff. A lot of learning involved. I’ve programmed the radio before with the repeaters. It’s no problem programming but  I don’t use simplex hardly at all. I wanted to put a few freq in there but wanted to make sure I didn’t step on anyone. Hence this post. Feel like I still learn a lot about this hobby even daily.
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:23:22 PM EDT
[#3]
I keep three simplex frequencies on our "Emcomm" HTs. One each for 144, 440 and 220. They do not lie within the "approved" areas per the band plan, and I couldn't care less. First, these radios never get used, and secondly, the realities of simplex operation in a hilly or urban area means any transmission we might make are unlikely to be heard much over a mile or two, and possibly far less than that. I just don't see it as an issue.  Cheers...   Jim
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 10:29:48 PM EDT
[#4]
here is a link to our local ARES page.  We decided to make a programming guide for all interested.  The supposition is, everyone progs their radios the same so it all matches, and nobody is left wondering where
TAC2 is on their radio

FWIW Link scroll down a little to see what's listed
Link Posted: 8/31/2018 11:01:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There are specific portions of each band (2M and 440) for dedicated simplex ops.

Google "ARRL Band plan" for specifics. You can find nice downloadable color band plans.

ETA - Oh, welcome to the forum! Nice use of your 87th post.
View Quote
Better off googling your state's band plan first.

While the ARRL band plan provides a decent overview, some states do things a little differently than others. Great example, per ARRL, 6m FM Repeaters should use a 500 kHz shift. In Texas, our band plan (VHF-FM Society) calls for a 1 MHz shift. Another great example is 70 cm. ARRL lists that states have the option to use positive or negative shifts (example, we don't use negative shifts in Texas but Colorado has negative shift repeaters).
Link Posted: 9/1/2018 6:51:04 PM EDT
[#6]
FPNI as usual. I agree look for a state level band plan (usually put out by repeater coordinators.)

There's surprisingly few of them considered. I was most surprised on our 440 bandplan how
few simplex channels there were given how much spectrum there is, but the ATV guys get a
pretty big block of it.
Link Posted: 9/10/2018 11:32:42 PM EDT
[#7]
small group of us locally here use 145.56 and labled ARFCOM. other is same freq, but low power, 1w HT's and 5w mobiles, labeled ARFLOW.
like someone said, it doesn't follow the approved band plan for simplex, but low power there isn't anybody going to complain.
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 12:18:57 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
small group of us locally here use 145.56 and labled ARFCOM. other is same freq, but low power, 1w HT's and 5w mobiles, labeled ARFLOW.
like someone said, it doesn't follow the approved band plan for simplex, but low power there isn't anybody going to complain.
View Quote
I have this programmed into my radio also. I never pick anything up when scanning in the south metro. Are you northern MN?
Link Posted: 9/11/2018 9:58:14 PM EDT
[#9]
SE MN.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:00:19 AM EDT
[#10]
I tend to view 146.52 as the national calling frequency and keep it and 146.46 in memory scan as another simplex channel. I believe 446 MHz is that bands calling channel. I never hear anything on it in my AO.
Rob
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:21:34 AM EDT
[#11]
I will start to monitor it again here when I am down that way.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:36:58 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I tend to view 146.52 as the national calling frequency and keep it and 146.46 in memory scan as another simplex channel. I believe 446 MHz is that bands calling channel. I never hear anything on it in my AO.
Rob
View Quote
I rarely hear anything on 146.52 and I think it's because of that, that people in my area use it to chat on.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I keep three simplex frequencies on our "Emcomm" HTs. One each for 144, 440 and 220. They do not lie within the "approved" areas per the band plan, and I couldn't care less. First, these radios never get used, and secondly, the realities of simplex operation in a hilly or urban area means any transmission we might make are unlikely to be heard much over a mile or two, and possibly far less than that. I just don't see it as an issue.  Cheers...   Jim
View Quote
Unless you inadvertently end up on a repeater input.....
Link Posted: 9/24/2018 11:43:09 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Unless you inadvertently end up on a repeater input.....
View Quote
In my AO nearly every repeater requires a tone. Even less likely to be an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top