Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2022 3:18:42 AM EDT
Been wanting chickens for years and buying more eggs than ever so why not? Both breeds should put out 2-4 eggs per week so I should start to have plenty at the end of summer.

Bought 10 female Blue Laced Golden Wyandotte Chickens this past weekend to get started.

Just ordered 20 female Barred Rock Chickens that should be here within the next 3 weeks. Those were the original breed that I have been wanting. UPDATE**** ARRIVED..... pics below a couple posts.

Building the 20w x 8ft tall x 20ft long Run soon for containment when not free ranging. The coop with purchased. Small cutout in the wall of the coop to allow 24/7 access to the run. I am using 1/2"x 1/2" hardware cloth attached by screw with washers for the run and not chicken wire. Will be using the hardware cloth to cover the top for protection from my local owls, hawks and kites. Also attaching and burying hardware cloth under all the sides so my local racoons, foxes and yotes can't tunnel under it along with concrete cinder block border. Hopefully that'll be enough till I find out something needs improving.

Mandatory chicken run Paint drawing. Will essentially be 4 runs screwed together without center hardware cloth divider.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 3:29:24 AM EDT
[#1]
Very nice op
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 4:53:52 AM EDT
[#2]
Nice!

For the run, I used 1/4" square hardware cloth the first 4', then the less expensive 2x4" metal fencing the upper 4', bird/fish netting over the top of my run. You do not need to dig it deep, just bend it out like an "L" extending about 10-15" from the fence and put a few inches of dirt on top. Predators naturally go right up to the run wall and start to dig, so they immediately hit the metal fencing.

Make sure your coop is vented at the top on at least 2 sides (allow circulation and gas to escape), maybe add some shed windows to reduce heat in summer months as those plastic sheds can turn into an oven.

What are you doing for water?
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 5:12:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Nice!

For the run, I used 1/4" square hardware cloth the first 4', then the less expensive 2x4" metal fencing the upper 4', bird/fish netting over the top of my run. You do not need to dig it deep, just bend it out like an "L" extending about 10-15" from the fence and put a few inches of dirt on top. Predators naturally go right up to the run wall and start to dig, so they immediately hit the metal fencing.

Make sure your coop is vented at the top on at least 2 sides (allow circulation and gas to escape), maybe add some shed windows to reduce heat in summer months as those plastic sheds can turn into an oven.

What are you doing for water?
View Quote

The shed/coop will be under a tree. I plan to put a vent on each side near the top. I'll have PVC tubes that hold water in the run attached to the sides that'll have those red bowls with nipples. The coop will have buckets off the floor with bowl & nipples around the bottom portion of the bucket. The run will be half in the sun and half under a tree.

Link Posted: 3/21/2022 6:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I would just make sure you do everything to make sure that it’s Fort Knox level security from predators. Nothing is worse than losing chickens to raccoons, cats or basically literally anything else that wants to kill them.

I have a rooster, he does a really good job of watching during free range and if anything flys over he ushers everything under something or to the wood line.
Link Posted: 3/21/2022 8:19:11 AM EDT
[#5]
Nice Job OP, be sure to make that thing (run/coop) bomb proof and don't forget to close them up at night. You'll find there are more predators in your area than you think

Electricity in the run is an amazing thing in the winter, I ran pvc conduit with just (1) receptacle and (1) LED bulb (all water tight). The receptacle is for the heated water unit (awesome so you don't have to dump the ice and add water daily) and the bulb is great for getting home on those dark nights and feeding/watering. We feed and water every 3 days usually but keep an eye on it daily when getting eggs. Make sure you have a nesting box that you can get to from the outside, it makes your life alot easier.
Link Posted: 3/26/2022 6:11:34 AM EDT
[#6]
Bought the wood yesterday for the run..... (88) 2x4's in a mixture of 8 and 10'. Run is staying as planned 20' x 20', this way they have a protected area when not free ranging on 3 acres. Starting building the frame of the run today with the wife and pic because of rulez.

Here's the new chicks that arrived at the post office yesterday. 20 female Barred Rock's.

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 6:37:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Started building the run and had great weather 65 and sunny. Put together 2 sections of the 4 yesterday. Should be finishing the run framework and run entry door today.

Hardware cloth wont be here till midweek so we'll have some forced relaxation till then.

After some sun and weathering, we'll be painting the run boards (undecided color) as well as painting the hardware cloth black to make it easier to see through.

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 1:38:32 PM EDT
[#8]
Cool post op. I've been thinking of getting some chickens also.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 3:48:25 PM EDT
[#9]
We put the other 2 sections on. This is now a 20ft x 20ft run.

We put the run access door on with locking latch and carabiner for the racoons that like to mess with the latches and whatnot.

Just need to install the hardware cloth in sections and add hardware cloth on the bottom that will extend out several feet to prevent predator digging at the base of the run.

Need to add some corner bracing this weekend to stiffen things up a bit. It's not perfect but it'll look good once the run framework is painted white and hardware cloth is painted matte black.

Link Posted: 3/27/2022 4:47:42 PM EDT
[#10]
I think chickens and ducks are neat.  So do the local coyotes, foxes, owls, eagles and other predators.  I feel like I would be spending too much time protecting the chickens and/or ducks from predators to make them worth the effort.
Link Posted: 3/27/2022 10:09:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
I think chickens and ducks are neat.  So do the local coyotes, foxes, owls, eagles and other predators.  I feel like I would be spending too much time protecting the chickens and/or ducks from predators to make them worth the effort.
View Quote

That’s where the commercial hatchery system internet conventional wisdom has failed chicken keepers. The solution is simple… free range those breeds that have retained their survival instincts. Somewhere between the mid 20th century and today its been forgotten that there’s many breeds of chickens still in existence that are sharper and faster than the predators.

Good chickens (not the genetic trash that passes for chickens these days), a good free range dog, and some good foraging habitat is all you need to successfully free range.
Link Posted: 3/31/2022 2:13:55 AM EDT
[#12]
Nice looking coop, OP.  Mine is not as large, but I’ll be expanding soon.

As others said, I also used 1/4” hardware cloth for security, but out of laziness I used it for the whole sides.  I went about 24” out from the coop so critters can’t easily dig under it.

Additionally, I built mine off the ground to separate my ducks from chickens.  The hens stay in the coop on the roosts, while the ducks sleep underneath on the straw.

We have:

4 ducks (2 male/2 female)
6 laying hens
7 chicks we just today put into the coop for the night

Tomorrow we are picking up ducklings.  We live South of Clarksville.  Here’s a somewhat recent picture.  I’m still trimming it out and painting it.

Link Posted: 4/2/2022 8:38:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Added the corner bracing and started running the hardware cloth along the bottom, door and sides. Still need to add another row of hardware cloth on the upper portion and over the top of the run.

We're getting there. Hope they'll love it.

New Barred Rock chicks are getting big already at a week old.

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:35:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Link Posted: 4/4/2022 8:41:20 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 4/4/2022 9:22:39 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Tag. I love these threads.

Good job OP.
View Quote

TY. I sure do miss 2x4x8's being $1.98 and not $9.00+.
Link Posted: 4/15/2022 5:15:09 AM EDT
[#17]
Some updates....

The hardware cloth is completed on all 4 walls.

2 Chicken swings, 1 Chicknic Table and old truck Tire dust bath are done. Dust bath is a mixture of Topsoil, Peatmoss, Food grade Diatomaceous Earth, Fresh Hickory wood Ash and Washed Sand.

Got a resin rain barrel that looks like an old whiskey barrel coming that I'll put on a 4x4 stand resembling an old country water tower. Already has the spigot, overflow drain, top screened opening for a gutter downspout. Should look pretty neat when it's done. That will connect to a 15-20 gravity fed watering bowl system that run along 2 sides of the run. Already have the bowls and 1/2" PVC pipe, 1/2" PVC connectors.

Waiting on the pressure treated run wood to dry so that I can paint it all white.

The ground is starting to grow through the mesh already so that will help camouflage it from the predatory diggers. I'll be adding a surround of concrete cinder blocks that will also be filling with soil and herbs that the birds will be able to eat as well as I will be able to place pcs in areas of the coop for natural bug deterrent and good scents.

Still need to install 5 pcs of the hardware cloth over the top of the run and the 90% sun block mesh cover that will go over half of the chicken run to give them any shade needed for direct sun.

I will be ordering a solar powered 48" tall hot wire poultry fence that will span about 150' square for them to get some more free range time out in the small pasture here.

And the birds are getting big.

20 Barred Rocks

Blue Laced Golden Wyandottes

Link Posted: 4/15/2022 6:18:47 AM EDT
[#18]
Nice work
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 1:56:38 AM EDT
[#19]
Built a stand for the rain barrel/watering system that resembles an old small town water tower. Will be staining or painting that barn red when the wood dries out as well as painting a name on the barrel once I figure out what to call my chicken town.

Leveled the stand. I hooked up the fill hose near the door, watering system output line and watering bowl lines around 2 sides of the run that will give the birds 18 bowls to drink from. Had to order 3 more watering bowls as I had ordered only 15 last week.

I added the concrete cinder blocks around 3 sides for extra security and will also give me a place to plant some edible herbs in the holes. Will be painting the cinder blocks white for aesthetics.

Just need to install hardware cloth over the top and install an Ag 90% shade tarp over half of it to provide shade.

The 2 chicken Coops should be delivered Monday so I'm trying to get everything done before they show up. I need to stain the coops bard red color and cut 2 openings in the hardware cloth for the coop ramps to protrude through. Then protect that gap between each coop and run with a hardware cloth tunnel.

Link Posted: 4/23/2022 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#20]
Nice work!!

I thought about using something like the small barn in the background of your coop pic. Add nesting boxes on the sides and build a door on the back for chickens to use.

ETA : What are you going to do when those cold TN winters to prevent freezing.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 3:51:55 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Nice work!!

I thought about using something like the small barn in the background of your coop pic. Add nesting boxes on the sides and build a door on the back for chickens to use.

ETA : What are you going to do when those cold TN winters to prevent freezing.
View Quote

Western Tennessee here so not that cold and if so, not for long. Plus these are cold hardy birds. The coops will have heated water. I am probably going to add some radiant heat panels in the coops so they have it cozy in there.
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:00:02 AM EDT
[#22]
Nearing completion.

Added the shade cloth over half of the run that will block 90% of the light, added the gravity fed watering bowls, stained the coops barn red, secured ramps into the run.

Put the chickens in together for the first time and they seem to love the room in the coop. They'll be able to use the outside run this weekend for the first time. Should be a blast to be able to watch them explore their new land.

Just need to paint the coop trim and run wood white.

Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:15:51 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 5/4/2022 12:29:00 AM EDT
[#24]
I just hatched a bunch with my class.  Giving them away on Friday.
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 7:33:42 AM EDT
[#25]
Nice looking setup. I hope mine eventually looks as nice as yours.
How many nesting boxes do you have in each coop? Are there any roosting bars?
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:23:13 AM EDT
[#26]
Chris i know you already built your nesting boxes but if you ever wanna upgrade these are awesome, when they lay an egg they roll to the back and you no longer have to worry about
cleaning poopy eggs, i use them and highly recommend them

https://bestnestbox.com/
Link Posted: 5/5/2022 9:29:58 AM EDT
[#27]
Super nice OP, our chickens are jealous.

@SwampFrog

Always been interested in the more hardy breed, can you enlighten us as to which are best?

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:10:31 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

@SwampFrog

Always been interested in the more hardy breed, can you enlighten us as to which are best?

View Quote
@macumazahn the ISA Browns are a real hardy breed. They are a hybrid so you can't incubate their eggs for a next generation. They are little egg factories so their life expectancy is about 2-3 years. I have seven. Three are two and a half years old and four are one and a half. I get six or seven eggs every day 365 days a year. I am further south though.

They are good birds. Gentle. Fun to watch. Quiet.
Link Posted: 5/7/2022 7:53:27 PM EDT
[#29]
Today was the day to release them in the run for their first time on grass and out in the weather. The Barred Rocks were brave and hopped right out. Added some black mulch to the path leading to the coop run as well.

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 10:48:54 PM EDT
[#30]
Right behind you OP, we just got 10 Barred Rock chickens a week ago.  Wife and I settled on a location for the coop and run today, I’ve got a design on paper so I guess I better get busy.
Link Posted: 5/8/2022 2:16:38 PM EDT
[#31]
There are few sights more serene and pastoral than chickens doing their thing in bright green grass.

Enjoy it. You just unleashed a fleet of autonomous rototillers.
Link Posted: 5/29/2022 9:52:25 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

@SwampFrog

View Quote

My list:

Bankivoid gamefowl and derivative mixes are at the top of the list for hardy free range chickens. They’re the missing link between junglefowl and domestic chickens. They’ll lay surprisingly well, about 100 eggs a hen per year. A flock of a dozen hens and a singular brood cock will feed your family no problem.

The American gamefowl is the bankivoid most common in the US and that would be the one I would recommend.

I raise a smaller bankivoid called the Florida Cracker gamefowl but I’m currently breeding larger Americans into them both to freshen up their genes and to add some size.

I also raise oriental gamefowl. Oriental mixed are better than straight orientals at free range survival. They’re predator resistant but are not all that disease resistant.
Link Posted: 6/7/2022 1:29:05 AM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 6/8/2022 11:32:45 PM EDT
[#34]
@Kitties-with-Sigs

They're doing great. Absolutely zero greenery in the run.

I have planted strawberries, lemonbalm, oregano, rosemary, marigolds, mint and some other greenery in the concrete blocks that perimeter around the run. The 50pound feeder and 55gallon water system lasts about a month.

Made some miscellaneous decorative signs and whatnot for fun.

Should be looking for eggs in about 1 more month. They are hitting 12 and 13 weeks this Saturday.

Still need to paint the wood on the run... rains every weekend.

Link Posted: 6/12/2022 4:29:23 AM EDT
[#35]
Finally made a name for my chicken town and put up a sign with a solar powered barn light. Also made a wooden chicken hanging sign....because why not.

Link Posted: 6/14/2022 6:25:49 PM EDT
[#36]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top