Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/18/2021 3:46:00 PM EDT
So, I'm working on setting up my first cheap solar setup, and found a good deal on new T105's. I only bought two at $145ea+core, but I would like to eventually get a 48V system to be able to run a well pump since they're 30V and up from what I've found... but I digress...

Anyway, I need a box to store the batteries outside. I'd like to get something I can put the controller and circuit breaker inside so all I'll need to do is run the distribution to the other side of the house for my radios and a inverter. (Haven't really thought that far ahead. I was looking at some sort of deck storage bin, but those seem far too expensive, so I was thinking of just getting a large Plano box like the 108qt... I think the T-105's will fit with an inch to spare or so...

Any thoughts? I'm not handy enough to make my own!
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 4:04:50 PM EDT
[#1]
I know that you just said that you’re not handy enough to make your own, but…

What I’m putting together to hold my battery, modest-sized inverter, charge controller and other related equipment is an actual doghouse made from some pressure-treated 2x4s and plywood, with asphalt shingles on the roof and some cedar clapboard siding that I got for free,  based on plans that I found online for free.

In place of the opening for the dog to go in and out, I’m going to build a simple hinged door with latch and lock.

It isn’t done yet, so I can’t tell you whether or not I will be successful with it…
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

What I’m putting together to hold my battery, modest-sized inverter, charge controller and other related equipment is an actual doghouse made from some pressure-treated 2x4s and plywood, with asphalt shingles on the roof and some cedar clapboard siding that I got for free,  based on plans that I found online for free.

In place of the opening for the dog to go in and out, I’m going to build a simple hinged door with latch and lock.

View Quote

Not too tough to build a dog house and you can adjust it for the area you have and components inside.

Bill
Link Posted: 6/30/2021 5:42:06 PM EDT
[#3]
Two points to ponder.  You really don't want to put electronics in the same enclosure as the batteries.  Lead-acid batteries like your Trojans emit acid aerosols which will kill your electronics.

Secondly, you don't want to run low voltage high current DC any distance.  The wire you'd need to limit voltage drop to a reasonable level will be prohibitively expensive.  Better to mount your inverter close to the batteries and distribute the relatively higher voltage AC (much lower losses).
Link Posted: 7/1/2021 6:43:46 AM EDT
[#4]
Check online ads for a used truck tool box. Might have to do a little DIY to it but it would make a safe and secure battery box. Like others have said, it best not to have batteries and electronics in a box together. In something bigger with good ventilation would be fine. Unless you go with lithium batteries.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top