Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/15/2022 11:29:47 AM EDT
I want to get out and do some pota, and some pastures on the air and play radio when out camping.
I would like something I can hook my nanovna up to, and have logging software like hamrs, and qrz. I can hotspot with my phone. Something smaller than a regular laptop, and a bonus for <100.00.
Would a cheap chrome book work? Pretend I am 5 years old when you explain your choice.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 11:48:33 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I want to get out and do some pota, and some pastures on the air and play radio when out camping.
I would like something I can hook my nanovna up to, and have logging software like hamrs, and qrz. I can hotspot with my phone. Something smaller than a regular laptop, and a bonus for <100.00.
Would a cheap chrome book work? Pretend I am 5 years old when you explain your choice.
View Quote

We use a SAMSUNG tablet for HAMRS.  I spent about $175 on it.

My wife is an Apple/Mac person, but she has no trouble with it.

It's about 4 years old, and works fine for logging.

no clue about the Nano VNA, I use an old MFJ-259 antenna analyzer.

Does the Nano really need hooked up?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:12:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Not normally, but I dropped mine, and broke the scroll button. It works great on the laptop, but I would rather carry something smaller.
How do you like hamrs?
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:24:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Not normally, but I dropped mine, and broke the scroll button. It works great on the laptop, but I would rather carry something smaller.
How do you like hamrs?
View Quote

We like it a lot.

one time, it, or the Samsung locked up, I rebooted and all the QSO's were in there.

probably my fault for not rebooting the tablet for several weeks.

since then, it's been wonderful,  well worth the $4.99 or whatever.

after we QRT, I export it (to email) and send it to POTA.

Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:27:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Are those all ssb with the wrc? That is awesome if so.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 12:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
I use this, it's a random brand cheap Win10 2-in-1 tablet.  Got it 2 years ago for the same price and it's still trucking, it is and all plastic case and feels cheap, but it does everything easy since it's a Windows machine.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0829HNGNV/
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Are those all ssb with the wrc? That is awesome if so.
View Quote

yep.

20 meter SSB

FT-891 set to 100watts

I don't do any digital portable.

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:45:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Panasonic toughbook or toughpad from eBay…cf19 mk6 or newer…bombproof…well suited to ham
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:48:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I ran across these just last night: https://www.microcenter.com/product/646649/evolve-iii-maestro-e-book-116-laptop-computer-dark-grey

No experience with them though.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 5:54:19 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Panasonic toughbook or toughpad from eBay…cf19 mk6 or newer…bombproof…well suited to ham
View Quote

Very very very much this.

All I own are Toughbooks and it is what I am using now.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#10]
I just saw these on fleabay and wondered if they would work. Not sure what win 10 enterprise is.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/144530374601?hash=item21a6ae7fc9:g:N8wAAOSwuOBiYabx
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 7:52:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Chromebook most likely will not work (that I have figured out) - Chrome OS is not compatible with the programs for data modes.
Cheap windows tablets work, and cheap laptops.
Check some videos from ham radio crash course (in the last 3 months he has posted some), and Julian has as well, OH8???
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:51:42 PM EDT
[#12]
I will check HRCC, he usually has some good stuff.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 9:13:43 PM EDT
[#13]
So I ended up with one of these. The HRCC guy mentioned that these were durable, and had the juice to run any radio program I would need. It is small, cheap with a one year warranty. Measures about the size of a sheet of paper, so it will fit in a day pack or fishing sling pack for portable use.
Lenovo Thinkpad X140e
1.4GHz
AMD Radeon HD 8240
4GB ram
320GB HDD
USB2 USB3
What kind of software should I look at deleting before I put anything on? Do refurbs have bloatware on them?

Link Posted: 5/18/2022 11:55:36 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
So I ended up with one of these. The HRCC guy mentioned that these were durable, and had the juice to run any radio program I would need. It is small, cheap with a one year warranty. Measures about the size of a sheet of paper, so it will fit in a day pack or fishing sling pack for portable use.
Lenovo Thinkpad X140e
1.4GHz
AMD Radeon HD 8240
4GB ram
320GB HDD
USB2 USB3
What kind of software should I look at deleting before I put anything on? Do refurbs have bloatware on them?

View Quote

I followed your lead and ordered one too...
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 12:01:49 AM EDT
[#15]
For 100 bucks, and a 1 year warranty it's worth a shot
Link Posted: 5/19/2022 9:19:39 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
For 100 bucks, and a 1 year warranty it's worth a shot
View Quote

that is what I thought.  It was one of those late night impulse buys.  
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:07:35 PM EDT
[#17]
Ok, the computer showed up, and so far I am not disappointed. I have loaded nanovna saver, flrig, fldigi. js8call, and wsjtx. Anything else I should add before I enter computer hell?
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#18]
I use a Lenovo something or the other laptop. It works fine for me.
Link Posted: 5/22/2022 7:33:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 11:16:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok, the computer showed up, and so far I am not disappointed. I have loaded nanovna saver, flrig, fldigi. js8call, and wsjtx. Anything else I should add before I enter computer hell?
View Quote

Simons world map
Basically a grey line clock/map program
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:11:47 PM EDT
[#21]

be careful with the Lenovo brand

They've been caught more than once selling machines pre-loaded with chinese spyware

https://www.makeuseof.com/tag/security-failings-demonstrate-avoid-lenovo/
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 12:55:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

They've been caught more than once selling machines pre-loaded with chinese spyware

View Quote

Too late!
I guess they can follow my radio adventures.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:50:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

Do all of the windows updates on it. That took almost 1/2 a day for me, and be sure to load a network time protocol  utility. I normally use nettime., but the new JTsync would be good if you intend to operate away from an internet connection. This allows you to follow and set time by synching with some one else over the air. I tried it and it seems to work.   I also am a big JTalert user paired up with WSJT-x to chase DX with. Keeps track of what entities you "need".  States or DX stations or zones or whatever you are chasing.

The little computer was certainly worth the $105. It is not particulary fast, but seems fast enough for ham work. I mainly wanted it for logging using Hamrs, but it seems it can do much more than that.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 7:54:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

View Quote

Well, it looked like a very clean install of win 10.  no manufactures bloatware at all on it.
Link Posted: 5/23/2022 9:13:28 PM EDT
[#25]
Saw the original post and bought one for portable ops - digital operating.

Showed up quickly.
Did not have the  CPU they advertised.
Below is the  email I received back quickly.

Should I take the deal?
The laptop looks brand new.
Looked up the performance of the two CPU’s.
Not sure if it makes much of a difference.

Hello,
Received the laptop yesterday.
Noticed in your advertisement it would have a CPU: AMD E1 2500 / 1.4 GHz.
The laptop I received has an AMD E-300 APU @ 1.3 GHz.

What happened?

They offered me a 10% refund.

Link Posted: 5/24/2022 9:07:04 AM EDT
[#26]
I bought a used Microsoft Surface for $100. It was a special deal and Use it for portable digital modes and logging. It is a touch screen and charges with 5 volts USB and when charging has no RFI like a lot of laptops and can be charged in the field very easily.
Link Posted: 5/28/2022 10:47:21 PM EDT
[#27]
That ham in Finland who does videos also uses a Surface. He has had excellent luck with it.
OH8STN I think is the call.

He has really good info, and no fluff / making faces etc. like some other videos.

His focus is portable comms using Winlink and the like.

Link Posted: 5/28/2022 11:52:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
That ham in Finland who does videos also uses a Surface. He has had excellent luck with it.
OH8STN I think is the call.

He has really good info, and no fluff / making faces etc. like some other videos.

His focus is portable comms using Winlink and the like.

View Quote

He is pretty good. He likes the xiegu G90.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 9:15:29 PM EDT
[#29]
I have been using the laptop for a while, with the nanovna, and qrz, and it does pretty well. I get several hours on the battery, but I want to change the hdd out with a ssd before I set things up for digital. It should speed it up a bit, and cut power consumption, giving longer battery life. It's about the same price as upgrading the ram, lol.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

For years I used Itronix GoBooks as my primary laptop and traveled with it. FINALLY they got too old and crapped out on me and I switched to Panasonic Toughbooks.

I had one nice (non rugged) Dell gifted to me and it lasted only a couple months before it bit the dust.

Right now I am typing this on a Panasonic CF 53 which I got when a local company upgraded. I love it.
Link Posted: 7/3/2022 11:35:41 PM EDT
[#31]
Back in the days of Windows 95 I had a Thinkpad. IIRC it was made by IBM then and not Leveno.

It was physically tough and I ran it until they stopped supporting W-95.

Probably the best OS I have ever used and if it were still viable I would still be using it. It did everything for me that I want and everything I still do today.

I don't do graphic or game.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 4:29:41 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Back in the days of Windows 95 I had a Thinkpad. IIRC it was made by IBM then and not Leveno.

It was physically tough and I ran it until they stopped supporting W-95.

Probably the best OS I have ever used and if it were still viable I would still be using it. It did everything for me that I want and everything I still do today.

I don't do graphic or game.
View Quote

My first PC computer was a used, refurb IBM thinkpad.  

It had the orange rubber "pencil eraser" trackball in the middle of the keyboard.  I actually liked that better than the early touch pads that replaced them.  This was back when I had an AOL account.  

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#33]
Once again arfcom (and especially the ham forum) is costing me money, LOL.

I didn't know that I needed a $100 refurbished Lenovo Win 10 mini laptop until I read about it here.

Now I can't wait for the package to arrive.

Link Posted: 7/6/2022 3:11:37 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Once again arfcom (and especially the ham forum) is costing me money, LOL.

I didn't know that I needed a $100 refurbished Lenovo Win 10 mini laptop until I read about it here.

Now I can't wait for the package to arrive.

View Quote

Consider the wait time as practice for when you try to use it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2022 5:59:33 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

Consider the wait time as practice for when you try to use it.
View Quote

Uh oh - but I’m thinking of swapping the HD for an SSD and doubling the memory.

Still, it is not a powerful cpu - so I guess that I will find out soon enough.

I’m more worried that the FedEx driver will not be smart enough to find my house despite the street number being on my mailbox and on the house itself - a prior delivery was made to the wrong house, and today’s delivery attempt for a different package has a ‘bad address’ exception even though the address is correct.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 4:24:19 AM EDT
[#36]
Just took delivery of mine - yes, it’s slow - just went through the process of cloning the HD to a 500 GB SSD (will do the drive swap in the morning), after which I’m planning to upgrade the memory to 16 GB.

Will that make enough of a difference?

Guess that I will find out soon enough…

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:05:19 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Just took delivery of mine - yes, it’s slow - just went through the process of cloning the HD to a 500 GB SSD (will do the drive swap in the morning), after which I’m planning to upgrade the memory to 16 GB.

View Quote

Please let us know. I have one too, and it is kind of a slow little beastie.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:58:53 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I did the drive swap this morning before leaving for work, did not have much time to play around with it, but didn't have a good way to compare pre- and post-SSD speeds.

I will say that with the drive swap alone, in the short time that I used it (where all that I did was power up, log in, and launch the chrome browser) it still did not feel 'super fast', but that's a pretty subjective statement - before I did the SSD upgrade it did feel 'painfully slow', but that's not a very good comparison.

I used Macrium Reflect 'free' to clone the original drive onto a 500 Gb SSD (which I had mounted in an external USB3 SATA enclosure) right after I completed the Windows 10 setup. I have not (yet, anyway) expanded the drive to fill up the 500 Gb (because I'm wary of triggering a possible Windows 10 'valid PC configuration not recognized' warning).

I have not yet screwed the bottom cover back on, so I could try some simple timings in the current SSD configuration, then swap it back to the original hard drive for comparison, if that would be useful. Any suggestions for something specific to measure as a simplistic benchmark?

I also just received a pair of 8Gb SODIMM modules in the mail - yes, the specs say that 2X 4Gb (8Gb total) is the max supported, but I'm hoping that it will work with 16Gb total. So that test will be next on my agenda (soon).
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 12:58:59 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 1:09:57 PM EDT
[#40]
I swapped drives and added 8G of memory. It is a little faster, and I hope it is fast enough to run flrig and other digital stuff. It is what it is. Pretty solidly built, and will be fine for logging and diagnostics.
Link Posted: 7/12/2022 8:00:14 PM EDT
[#41]
A couple of timing comparisons between the original hard drive and the SSD to give a rough idea of the raw speed boost that the SSD brings:

1) From powered off to booting and displaying the Windows 10 photo/clock screen:

Hard drive: about 52 seconds

SSD: about 17 seconds

2) Double-click on desktop chrome browser shortcut to loading the browser and completely loading and displaying the macrium.com web page:

Hard drive: about 37 seconds

SSD: about 7 seconds

Reported times measured by eye with a seconds timer on my phone - could be off by a second at most.

Tested the laptop with the battery installed, not plugged in to the ac charger, using 4 GB of memory, and with a WiFi internet connection.

Conclusion: SSD is a cheap upgrade that is well worth the small amount of effort and expense.

Next step: upgrade the memory to 16 GB.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 9:14:44 PM EDT
[#42]
And the 16 GB memory installed without any problems.

So I am happy enough with the laptop for my intended uses, which will include things such as using TeamViewer (which came already installed) to remote into some of my other PCs, such as the one that is running WSJT-X with my IC-7300, and to another PC that is running SDRuno connected to my RSP1A, and to directly handle digital modes with either my IC-705 or my FT-818ND or both, and more.

I will probably also use it for other stuff such as normal web browsing as well as for doing some low-intensity development work with Arduino and raspberry pi pico, and maybe also for ssh into various raspberry pi 3 and 4 systems, etc.

Link Posted: 7/12/2022 10:16:57 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
And the 16 GB memory installed without any problems.

So I am happy enough with the laptop for my intended uses, which will include things such as using TeamViewer (which came already installed) to remote into some of my other PCs, such as the one that is running WSJT-X with my IC-7300, and to another PC that is running SDRuno connected to my RSP1A, and to directly handle digital modes with either my IC-705 or my FT-818ND or both, and more.

I will probably also use it for other stuff such as normal web browsing as well as for doing some low-intensity development work with Arduino and raspberry pi pico, and maybe also for ssh into various raspberry pi 3 and 4 systems, etc.

View Quote

Thanks for the info.  73  James K0UA
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top