Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/20/2020 11:02:12 PM EDT
I go camping a lot and take a few 7 day trips a year.

I need some new gear that’s lighter than what I currently am using.  I’ve been using the same gear for a long time that I got when I was younger and didn’t care how much I rucked around.  Now I’m getting older and carrying all that weight isn’t as fun. Two of my trips usually include my kayak.

So I need some recommendations on two main items a pack and a tent for one person that’s 3 seasons.  I’ve tried the hammock thing but can’t seem to sleep in them.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 6:46:23 AM EDT
[#1]
For packs, the world is your oyster. There are so many options, it's hard to find a place to start. How about budget and capacity to start? If you're rdoing your gear, I would do the pack last. That way you'll have a better idea of the capacity you need. The smaller the pack, the lighter the pack, so you don't want it any bigger than you need.

The other really important factor is getting the pack correctly sized to your torso. Although I definitely watch weight, I've also found that a well made pack that fits well can haul a few more pounds much more easily than a poorly fitted pack.

For tents,  I have a Big Agnes rattlesnake. It's a versatile setup that i can carry juat the rainfly and footprint, or the whole tent. It's only slightly heavier and larger to pack than my hammock/tarp combo. It's a 1.5 man tent, so it's small, but there's enough room for the dog and my gear inside too.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 12:49:30 PM EDT
[#2]
I’d like the pack to be at $350 or less and the tent around $200.

The pack will have to be size large 70+ liters.  I’m looking at Osprey Aether 85 AG pack and Hyperlite Mountain Gear 4400 windrider.
Pack needs to be tough I hit the US Canada boundary waters once a year for a week and do some serious exploring threw thick brush at times.

Thinking a ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1 man tent might be what I need.

I’ll definitely have to rework my gear list.

I almost never carry more then a days worth of water with me. Just filter what I need as I go.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:19:36 PM EDT
[#3]
I like my Big Agnes Copper Spur 1 and 2, but I also have a Tarptent Hogback I really like for ease of setting up and the fact that you put up the fly and inside together. The Big Agnes you put up the inner first, so if it is raining, it gets wet inside. The Hogback goes up together. Pretty neat. If I were to buy again, I would look at the Tarptent Rainbow, or one of their other options depending on whether you have/use trekking poles.

ETA: I also have an Osprey Aether 70.  I like the comfort, but it is on the heavy side of today's standards. It does have the ability to carry a heavier load if you need to though.
Aether 70 Lg weighs 5.266 lbs and has a load range of 35 - 60 lbs.
But packs are very person-dependent.  What looks good on paper/print just may not feel comfortable to you.  I would try them before you buy, or order and decide which to keep.

Link Posted: 4/21/2020 2:44:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Tent: Big Agnes Fly Creek HV UL1. I love mine, it’s part of my 4lb shelter/sleep system, along with a WM EverLite and NEMO Tensor pad. The 1st review is mine, if I was in the market again today I’d most likely go with a 2P and never mind the arbitrary weight limit. But it’s a good tent, just not one you’d want to wait out a day of torrential downpours in. Better than a bivy sack, though!
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 11:34:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Although I definitely watch weight, I've also found that a well made pack that fits well can haul a few more pounds much more easily than a poorly fitted pack.
View Quote

This is definitely true. My main pack is an Osprey Atmos AG 50, not particularly heavy but not even close to ultralight by any stretch of the imagination. But with 35lb in it I can barely tell it’s there, the suspension is so good.

Packed for a spring overnight in the White Mountains.

Link Posted: 4/22/2020 12:37:26 PM EDT
[#6]
REI... On sale $134.00... Packed weight 4.2 lbs..

https://www.rei.com/product/128691/rei-co-op-half-dome-1-plus-tent

Edit: Good pricing on many tents...
Link Posted: 4/23/2020 4:47:11 AM EDT
[#7]
How much weight do you typically pack?  Volume capacity is one aspect, load-weight capacity is another.  I had to add a little more volume and more weight but still wanted a light pack and ended up going with Seek Outside (both their Gila 3500 and 4800 Unaweep).  A little over your budget, but I've been nothing less than impressed and I've used dozens of high-end packs over the past 20+years.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 10:14:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
How much weight do you typically pack?  Volume capacity is one aspect, load-weight capacity is another.  I had to add a little more volume and more weight but still wanted a light pack and ended up going with Seek Outside (both their Gila 3500 and 4800 Unaweep).  A little over your budget, but I've been nothing less than impressed and I've used dozens of high-end packs over the past 20+years.

ROCK6
View Quote

7 day trips the pack is around 50 lbs loaded.
Link Posted: 4/25/2020 10:37:10 AM EDT
[#9]
The Osprey Aether 70AG will easily handle 50lb. It’s no lightweight (5.2lb) but i doubt you’ll find a better-riding pack. I have one I’m willing to sell for what I think is a good deal because I haven’t used it in over 2 years and don’t see myself using it in the next couple years. I’ve only used it on 2 winter weekenders. Medium russet-colored pack (70l), medium and large shoulder strap harnesses (my torso length is on the border), XL hipbelt. PM if interested.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 8:58:23 AM EDT
[#10]
I can’t recommend a tent because I don’t use one. I was looking for a good pack for overnight hiking trips to the Adirondacks and did a bunch of research online. I went with Granite Gear Blaze 60. My torso is long and I bought their “long” version.
It’s a 3lb pack rated for 50 lbs of Gear. I also like how the belt is adjustable. And you can remove the lid, remove the belt, attach the lid to the belt and you have a fanny pack for shorter hikes. I like that idea if I can drop the pack and hit summits with less to carry.
30% off their entire website right now.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 7:15:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
7 day trips the pack is around 50 lbs loaded.
View Quote

Just check to make sure the pack's frame and suspension is rated for that.  It's usually lightweight packs that suffer crappy suspension.  They also tout capacity, but rarely weight limits.  Osprey does a good job at making sure comfort "weight-ranges" are listed.  It's not so much about comfort as it is managing the weight and not stressing your shoulders or back because of a designed frame that doesn't handle heavier loads.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:30:16 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I

Thinking a ALPS Mountaineering Zephyr 1 man tent might be what I need.

View Quote

How tall are you? I have the Zephyr 2 that I use as a single-man when I'm not counting every ounce and camping via kayak, etc. I'm 6'3" and can say that the length is a little short to where the footbox of my quilt is against the mesh and can pick up moisture. The vestibules aren't overly spacious either.

For going light and compact, I picked up a Six Moon Designs Lunar Solo. It's a hybrid single wall that uses a single trekking pole. It's stupid light, and I have more length available and don't find myself up against the tent fabric. To be fair though, I've not used it in determined rain or wind yet (guess I'd gotten lucky last summer with weather). It's over your budget with their optional seam-sealing service at $260, but I'd say worth a look.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:48:16 AM EDT
[#13]
I went with the Granite Gear Blaze 60 for the pack. Thanks @41magluva for the recommendation. All the reviews I found for it were great and with it being 30% off right helped. Also the company is based in my home state.

Still haven’t decided on a tent yet.

Anyone here use a solar cell phone charger when there out on the trail for extended period of time?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:58:57 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went with the Granite Gear Blaze 60 for the pack. Thanks @41magluva for the recommendation. All the reviews I found for it were great and with it being 30% off right helped. Also the company is based in my home state.

Still haven’t decided on a tent yet.

Anyone here use a solar cell phone charger when there out on the trail for extended period of time?
View Quote

I received one of those chargers for free when my credit union had a promotion. Using it around the house it seemed to work well. Mid February I took it on a high peaks hike and haven’t seen it since. It’s a mystery because I’m pretty sure I didn’t clip it to my pack. Did i lose it during a butt slide?  Or when I stumbled and fell?  It was just a day hike so I never used it on the trail.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:27:21 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes, I have an old rubberized waterproof one from several years ago. Trimmed it down and it weighs 4oz. It will charge my phone in direct sunlight in a couple hours, or all day hanging off the back of the pack on a typical hike. It's not the most powerful, but it's light, folds up small, waterproof, and good enough to charge one thing a day.

I actually rarely use it, but it's nice to have if I know I'm going to be out for a couple weeks.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 5:28:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I ordered the pack yesterday morning and it arrived today by noon. Kinda crazy.

Very pleased with its construction. Was very easy to adjust to fit.  I put 30 lbs of gear in and took a quick 5 mile hike in the rain.  I know it’s just a short hike but it seemed to be very comfortable and carried the weight well. Definitely felt a lot lighter than my old pack.

Was talking to a friend last night who camps a lot about tents saying I need a new one.  He brought over a River Country Products Trekker Tent 2 this morning.  He had two and gave me one. He uses it mostly in the spring and summer. It needs to be set up under a tarp if it’s going to rain a lot.  So for the first trip in a few weeks I’ll give it a try. I looked it up and it’s cheap but with a lot of good reviews.  So we’ll see.
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 7:37:48 AM EDT
[#17]
My tarptent is real light. Made in USA too!
Link Posted: 4/30/2020 8:48:02 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By GoldenMead:
I went with the Granite Gear Blaze 60 for the pack. Thanks @41magluva for the recommendation. All the reviews I found for it were great and with it being 30% off right helped. Also the company is based in my home state.

Still haven’t decided on a tent yet.

Anyone here use a solar cell phone charger when there out on the trail for extended period of time?
View Quote
I have an Anker 10W panel that I use if I have non-movement days.  In my experience, the panels are far too sensitive to orientation and shadow to be worth their weight while moving. However, if you are going to be in one spot for a day, then you can get some decent charging out of them.  If set up at camp for the day, I could generally stay on top of 2 DSLR batteries and 2 GoPro batteries worth of charging each day, as well as keeping my InReach charged.  This, however, is in conjunction with 2 10500mAh USB batteries, because being away from camp doing photos meant I couldn't swap out batteries as needed, so sometimes the inefficiency of charging the 10500 battery, and then using that to charge my camera batteries or Garmin in the evening was the only way to get it done.  I'd be out for up to 9 days in a stretch.  

I have a couple of tent shelter setups.  One is a Mountain Laurel Designs Trailstar.  It's 16 oz, plus stakes, and can accommodate 2 people, maybe 3 in a pinch.  Bug netting? Best for each occupant to use his own.  Perimeter rain splash?  Yeah, it happens, so I bring a light bivi sack, which add about 1 more pound.  So, to have good weather/bug protection, you're looking at 2 to 2.5 pounds if going solo.

I also have a North Face Stormbreak 1.  It's a small tent.  I'm 5'6" and my dog and I can use it, plus climbing gear.  But somebody who's like 6'2" 230 would probably feel really cramped.  The tent comes in at just under 3 pounds with ground cloth and stakes and stuff sacks.  I kind of prefer it to the Trailstar because when things get windy, it keeps the dust out, as well as windblown rain.  Not as much space as the Trailstar, but it's better protected space.

I could fit all of this stuff in there, plus 18 pounds of photo equipment, and I could keep things dry enough.  I say dry enough because the vestibule area is small, and you've got that much stuff, you need to position things with care to keep sensitive stuff away from the edge of the fly.  Didn't have my dog with me on this one, but if I did, there was still enough room for him, too.  He's 25 pounds.

Link Posted: 4/30/2020 10:51:34 PM EDT
[#19]
L_JE thanks for the info!  Great pics. What cameras are you using?
Link Posted: 5/1/2020 8:10:12 PM EDT
[#20]
I went with the Granite Gear Blaze 60 for the pack. Thanks @41magluva for the recommendation. All the reviews I found for it were great and with it being 30% off right helped. Also the company is based in my home state.

Still haven’t decided on a tent yet.

Anyone here use a solar cell phone charger when there out on the trail for extended period of time?
View Quote

There isn't enough sun to justify trying to use a solar charger hereabouts. I use an Anker battery bank to recharge my phone. The phone stays in airplane mode when I am on a trail. Last summer in the Adirondacks it went a week on the charge it had upon arrival and I never had to recharge it until I was headed home
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:30:08 AM EDT
[#21]
L_JE thanks for the info!  Great pics. What cameras are you using?
View Quote

A Nikon D850 and some GoPros for those photos.  About 18 pounds just from photo gear, from what I recall.  It's a lot of seemingly unnecessary weight, yes, but since I don't live out there, I have to make the most of my limited time.

I can usually be around 26 or 27 pounds with 70oz of water, and with food and fuel for days for summer hiking.

Those photos came from the 2019 stuff found here …
https://elevenby50.smugmug.com/Climbing-Outings
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 10:46:04 AM EDT
[#22]
I found the free solar charger!  Shortly after my hike in February I packed it in a small duffle bag on a weekend trip to Baltimore and forgot about it. Sucks getting old.

Anyway, its Called “dualpow”. 30,000mAh. Built-in flashlight and compass, made in China.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top