BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2021 4:26:21 AM EDT
Spider

HAM guy at my range suggested it

Opinions?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:47:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Electrically small antennas, i.e. antennas that are smaller than 1/4 wavelength, often much smaller, are all junk. Yes, they will present a good VSWR to the radio, but so will a dummy load. They are all extreme compromises and IMHO, worth it in only the most extreme circumstances.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 9:57:44 AM EDT
[#2]
My best performing antennas are home brew half-wave, monoband dipoles.

That said, for space constraints and multibanding, the Spider looks like a winner.

It would be super cool if instead of the hamsticks they offered pre-cut dipole legs. A turnstile 20/40/80/160 that I didn’t have to build would be the bees knees.

Quoted:
Spider

HAM guy at my range suggested it

Opinions?
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 7:02:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Does it comes with the 8 sticks, or do you need to supply your own?
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:51:52 PM EDT
[#4]
It appears that you have to supply your own sticks. That is a lot of scratch for what you get.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 8:56:07 PM EDT
[#5]
You can make a lotta dipoles out of a 65 dollar 500' roll of 14ga wire from Lowes....
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 9:29:43 AM EDT
[#6]
If you have a piece of aluminum, some 259 to 3/8 x 24 mounts and a drill, you can make a dipole out of hamsticks which is all that spider thing is.

MFJ also makes one of those spider mounts.  MFJ calls it an Octopus . You can buy it with or without the hamsticks. ( MFJ-2100 )

or you can buy a single dipole hamstick mount for $25 at HRO.  ( MFJ-347 )

I have one of those dipole mounts and it works, but only as good as the hamsticks in it, meaning below 20m it will be fairly inefficient but you can have a rotatable hamstick dipole
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top