Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/6/2022 7:42:16 AM EDT
Have an oppritunity to buy a barely-used Stihl 025 model chainsaw, probably purchased in the early 2000's. Ive started it up, so it runs.  From casually browsing the interwebs, looks like these are going for $150-250 in good working condition, often on the upper end of $250+
I just need a new chainsaw for around the homestead for tree trimming etc, however I might also need to cut some firewood every other year or so.
Thinking about a bit larger/powerful model, like maybe the Husky 460 rancher.

Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:35:10 AM EDT
[#1]
If the 025 runs good, it will probably do anything you'd need to do. 16" bar I assume? Good firewood machine.

That Husky looks like a nice saw, and no doubt would cut faster. But it's also $500.

My .02, with the work you describe, I'd buy the 025.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 1:48:09 PM EDT
[#2]
025/250 are a nice limbing saw and a nice for smaller logs.
Have a 025 that has cut a ton of fire wood with a 18 inch bar.

First thing we did was go to a semi-chisle chain as we cut in dirty conditions.

Aftermarket parts are available if you know where to look.
If it only has the two screw carb you can upgrade to three screw and it will wake it up a little.(more adjustable).

Link Posted: 5/7/2022 8:57:04 AM EDT
[#3]
My small gas saw is an ms250, it does a great job, isn't too heavy, pulls an 18" chain pretty good. I'd buy one again if if broke.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 1:13:35 PM EDT
[#4]
The 025 is a good homeowner saw. I wouldn't put a 20" bar on it and buck massive trees commercially but it will do what is needed. If I were to buy a new saw I would buy it's modern equivalent, the MS250, for $400.

I love Stihl equipment because replacement parts are readily available both OE and aftermarket. I was able to buy a new piston, cylinder, and carburetor for my very junky 026 off of Amazon.
Link Posted: 5/9/2022 11:45:36 PM EDT
[#5]
025 will take care of your use case in my opinion...no problem.  

Definitely don't need a 60+cc saw to trim trees and cut up some firewood once in a blue moon.  

If you have the means to pressure test the 025, I would do that.  Just starting a saw doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have an air leak.  At MINIMUM remove the muffler and take a good look at the piston to make sure there's no scoring on it.  

Used saws are sketchy...if it's a screaming deal, grab it and if it blows up get something else.  I wouldn't ever pay premium for used saws.

I only buy used saws if one of the following is true:
1.  I know the previous owner VERY well and I know they are good with their saws and will be honest with me.  
2.  The owner will allow me to disassemble the saw to pressure test and look at the internals.
3.  It's pants on head stupid cheap OR free.

To be honest, again, unless that 025 is ridiculously cheap as in < $100, I would get a new MS250
Link Posted: 5/10/2022 7:36:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
025 will take care of your use case in my opinion...no problem.  

Definitely don't need a 60+cc saw to trim trees and cut up some firewood once in a blue moon.  

If you have the means to pressure test the 025, I would do that.  Just starting a saw doesn't necessarily mean it doesn't have an air leak.  At MINIMUM remove the muffler and take a good look at the piston to make sure there's no scoring on it.  

Used saws are sketchy...if it's a screaming deal, grab it and if it blows up get something else.  I wouldn't ever pay premium for used saws.

I only buy used saws if one of the following is true:
1.  I know the previous owner VERY well and I know they are good with their saws and will be honest with me.  
2.  The owner will allow me to disassemble the saw to pressure test and look at the internals.
3.  It's pants on head stupid cheap OR free.

To be honest, again, unless that 025 is ridiculously cheap as in < $100, I would get a new MS250
View Quote

Lots of truth in this post too. It's easy to sink a fortune into a used saw, new bar and chains, uneff the carb, fuel filter, spark plug, and still have a used saw when you're done.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 8:26:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Just something to be aware of here.  Stihl has three different bar (mounting) sizes.  That's the width of the slot in the back of the bar that rides on the stud flanges.  Sizes/Applications are as follows:
Small - saws up to and including the 025.
Medium - 024 to 066, but Excluding the 025.  The 025 is the red-headed step child here.
Large - 055, 075, 084, 088.

The small bars are shaped differently (skinnier) than the medium bars.  So if you are running a small 16" bar on an 025, the chain will be shorter than the same 16" chain on a medium bar 024.
I believe in this case it's 63 versus 67 drive links.

The point here is that if you have an 025, you need to make sure you buy a chain with the correct number of drive links.  If you just buy a 16" chain, it could very well be for the larger bar used on the medium mount saws, not the small bar used on the bastard 025.
And the dumb ass behind the counter at your Stihl dealer will not be helpful enough or knowledgeable enough to help you out with this tidbit of useful trivia.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:10:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Just something to be aware of here.  Stihl has three different bar (mounting) sizes.  That's the width of the slot in the back of the bar that rides on the stud flanges.  Sizes/Applications are as follows:
Medium - 024 to 066, but Excluding the 025.  The 025 is the red-headed step child here.

The small bars are shaped differently (skinnier) than the medium bars.  So if you are running a small 16" bar on an 025, the chain will be shorter than the same 16" chain on a medium bar 024.

The point here is that if you have an 025, you need to make sure you buy a chain with the correct number of drive links.  If you just buy a 16" chain, it could very well be for the larger bar used on the medium mount saws, not the small bar used on the bastard 025.
And the dumb ass behind the counter at your Stihl dealer will not be helpful enough or knowledgeable enough to help you out with this tidbit of useful trivia.

Tony Rumore
Tromix

View Quote

They make getting a chain a PITA sometimes.

Husqvarna sold a ton of 51 and 55 saws in the late 90s. They could have been 50 or 58 gauge, 16 to 20 inch bars, 325 or 3/8 pitch.

I was the guy behind the counter hating life and being called a dumbass.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 5:38:41 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Tony Rumore
Tromix

View Quote

That's a good point. It's always best to buy your chain by pitch, gauge, and drive link count. The bar will usually be marked with all that info.
Link Posted: 5/18/2022 7:31:28 AM EDT
[#10]
I’d take a new saw all day every day.
I have the Husky 465 with 24” bar. I can’t imagine getting by with a small saw where I live. I know it can handle any job I face. And it cuts the small stuff like melted butter. My time is worth it.
Link Posted: 5/20/2022 2:03:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Every time a thread like this comes up I ended up telling everyone how great I think the Husqvarna 550xp is

I have other saws bigger and smaller but the 550xp gets used  70% of the time.  Works great for just about anything that the bar is long enough for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top