Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/15/2023 12:43:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARmory04]
From what I've gathered so far, they appear to be hit or miss.

This would be at a rural camp, normally get 1 to 2 bars on the phone.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:08:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: DVCER] [#1]
In my experience you can get a good boost with a yagi antenna mounted up high, and pointed at the best nearby tower.  That’ll have a cable run back to a booster that will have its own antenna your phone will connect to.  At least 1k$ all in.

https://www.weboost.com/products/home-complete

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By DVCER:
In my experience you can get a good boost with a yagi antenna mounted up high, and pointed at the best nearby tower.  That’ll have a cable run back to a booster that will have its own antenna your phone will connect to.  At least 1k$ all in.

https://www.weboost.com/products/home-complete

View Quote

Holy $$ batman
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 3:53:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By ARmory04:

Holy $$ batman
View Quote

Doing it right isn't cheap.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:22:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

View Quote

Fair. But definitely out of my range.
Link Posted: 12/15/2023 5:31:29 PM EDT
[#5]

View Quote

Pretty rapey price for Chinese gear.   They are known to work tho.

Follow that amazon link, there are cheaper options, China rip of China products I’m sure.

Link Posted: 12/15/2023 7:18:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By DVCER:

Pretty rapey price for Chinese gear.   They are known to work tho.

Follow that amazon link, there are cheaper options, China rip of China products I’m sure.

View Quote

I got the rapey vibe for sure

But yeah, still going down the rabbit hole.
Link Posted: 12/16/2023 2:48:40 AM EDT
[#7]
I have this one in my camper.  It definitely helps if you have bars.  No bars, not going to work.

You have to be 4'-10' from the booster.  Not a problem in the camper, but that may be an issue for some.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/17/2023 10:59:28 PM EDT
[#8]
Wilson Electronics weBoost signal booster
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:31:09 AM EDT
[#9]
Yep, go production out of Weboost. I have all my neighbors up at my farm on cellular internet run through the Weboost booster.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:41:51 AM EDT
[#10]
One option would be Starlink and run your phone over voip.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 12:58:06 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:  One option would be Starlink and run your phone over voip.
View Quote

I was going to ask OP if he can't set his phone to route calls over WiFi and use internet.  Tether a WiFi hotspot to a helium balloon or hovering drone.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:34:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By livinfree:
I have this one in my camper.  It definitely helps if you have bars.  No bars, not going to work.

You have to be 4'-10' from the booster.  Not a problem in the camper, but that may be an issue for some.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/273029/Screenshot_20231215-234311_png-3060967.JPG
View Quote

Thank you
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:34:55 PM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:
One option would be Starlink and run your phone over voip.
View Quote

Too many trees
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:36:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

I was going to ask OP if he can't set his phone to route calls over WiFi and use internet.  Tether a WiFi hotspot to a helium balloon or hovering drone.
View Quote

Thought of this as well, however cable internet has lots of temporary outages (usually only a few minutes). I'll have it, but it can be spotty.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 1:42:22 PM EDT
[#15]

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By ColtRifle:

Look at the refurbished units. This is what I got… works well enough:
https://www.weboost.com/products/home-multiroom
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 3:09:13 PM EDT
[#16]

Too many trees
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By CoyoteGray:  One option would be Starlink and run your phone over voip.

Too many trees

Starlink's antenna doesn't have to have a clear view of the southern sky, like legacy geostationary satellite tv & internet services.  It just has to see UP.  If you've got that many trees, just put a tower in between the trees and put the Starlink antenna on top of that - it's not big, it's not heavy.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:24:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By backbencher:

Starlink's antenna doesn't have to have a clear view of the southern sky, like legacy geostationary satellite tv & internet services.  It just has to see UP.  If you've got that many trees, just put a tower in between the trees and put the Starlink antenna on top of that - it's not big, it's not heavy.
View Quote

I was under the impression it needed full view of the sky 360*. If what you said is true, then that's most definitely an option. Probably cheaper than cable internet too.

It's up to $128 bones a month just for internet here.
Link Posted: 12/18/2023 7:31:10 PM EDT
[#18]

I was under the impression it needed full view of the sky 360*. If what you said is true, then that's most definitely an option. Probably cheaper than cable internet too.

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By backbencher:    Starlink's antenna doesn't have to have a clear view of the southern sky, like legacy geostationary satellite tv & internet services.  It just has to see UP.  If you've got that many trees, just put a tower in between the trees and put the Starlink antenna on top of that - it's not big, it's not heavy.

Definitely not 360 degrees.  We had em sitting on pallets next to tents in Eagle Pass, like 4" off the ground, 2 feet from a giant tent.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:15:52 PM EDT
[#19]
Starlink ordered. Hope it works out, cause that’s an expensive entry fee
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 9:05:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: GaryM] [#20]
Kinda late but you can use the same Starlink set up and account at home and on the road. Only real downside is (I think) i don't work great bouncing down a trail.
Get the app on your phone and you can just stand there an see if it will work. Just follow the instructions in the app.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top