Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2022 9:52:10 PM EDT

Link Posted: 4/10/2022 9:56:05 PM EDT
[#1]
5 down, 87 to go.

At least if it is anything like my house.  I resorted to badminton racquets.  Much more effective as the bees literally tee themselves up for you since the drones like to look you in the face.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:01:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I have not figured out the traps.  Seems like by location they’ll use some of the traps but not others.  I put a bounty on any the children shot with BB guns and they clean me out regularly.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:09:09 PM EDT
[#3]
I sprayed some poison where they are drilling into my house, I'll get midevil on.them if I have too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:49:55 PM EDT
[#4]
They work when you get a queen scent in one.

Hummingbirds will run them off too.
Link Posted: 4/10/2022 10:58:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Did you build or buy yours? If buy, what was the source. I need a few and don't have time to build right now.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 2:06:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Clean, dry, plastic squeeze bottle like restaurants use for ketchup.

Put in a little sevin dust. Then shake it to get dust airborne inside then puff dust into carpenter bee holes.

Sweep 'em up in the morning.

Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:10:39 AM EDT
[#7]
The traps do work well. Wd40 sprayed in the existing holes works well to. I'm not sure why, but an old guy told me about it, and I've been doing it for a few years now. Their numbers are way down.
Sometimes I'll take a badminton racket and swat them, the thump is satisfying.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 6:34:33 AM EDT
[#8]
Aluminum wrap all the things.

SIL just built a million dollar log home about a year ago.  They are currently wrapping the entire thing.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:31:01 AM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Did you build or buy yours? If buy, what was the source. I need a few and don't have time to build right now.
View Quote

I bought two of these, and the bait they sell.
Link Posted: 4/11/2022 7:32:43 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:38:15 PM EDT
[#11]
BB guns are more fun.

Just beware of ricochets!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 1:46:29 PM EDT
[#12]
I use badminton rackets as its very satisfying to feel them go PING! when you bash them. On my pole barn there's one beam they love to munch on. Obviously I can't guard it all day, but every few days I take a spray bottle and squirt gasoline along that beam (it's about 12 feet in up). They leave it alone for a while after that. Since it's just a big glorified garage, it smells like gas fumes anyway. Though I have to hope it never burns down or I'll have one hell of a time explaining to the insurance company why there was accelerant residue all over that beam.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:05:44 PM EDT
[#13]
Spray exposed boards with Polyurethane.
Bengal ant and roach spray is a fogging spray. It works too.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:25:45 PM EDT
[#14]
I found a YouTube video of a guy collecting hundreds in his traps.
He said that if the trap is swinging from a chain you will get far less bees.
That was the way I had mounted mine for a couple of years with very little success.

Last summer I mounted one right to the post so it wasn't swinging.
(This was in an area the bees seemed to like.)

I got over a dozen before the summer was over.
My best year yet!
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 2:27:12 PM EDT
[#15]
View Quote

Thanks, I just bought also ($17 shipped from Walmart)
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:08:39 PM EDT
[#16]
I shoot them with a mini-bolt and 22lR shotshells
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 6:53:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I found a YouTube video of a guy collecting hundreds in his traps.
He said that if the trap is swinging from a chain you will get far less bees.
That was the way I had mounted mine for a couple of years with very little success.

Last summer I mounted one right to the post so it wasn't swinging.
(This was in an area the bees seemed to like.)

I got over a dozen before the summer was over.
My best year yet!
View Quote

Interesting,  I have one on the other side of the house that's hanging from a string. It gets far fewer bees in it.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:00:54 PM EDT
[#18]
When I worked refrigeration, encounters were constant when working around dyi lean to shelters. I liked to plug the exit holes with silicone after I saw one enter.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:18:51 PM EDT
[#19]
I made one once. Only caught one over the last few years. Keep forgetting to take it down. Bees just fly past it. Maybe I built a shitty one. Or needs another location.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 7:46:39 PM EDT
[#20]
Bastards just showed up in my barn 2 days ago
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:13:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Clean, dry, plastic squeeze bottle like restaurants use for ketchup.

Put in a little sevin dust. Then shake it to get dust airborne inside then puff dust into carpenter bee holes.

Sweep 'em up in the morning.

View Quote
+1.  Very effective.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 8:19:56 PM EDT
[#22]
Bug a salt or a 22 with rat shot is a blast. The harbor freight electric tennis racket is fun too.

The traps do work well though.
Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:26:37 PM EDT
[#23]
We use homemade traps.  They seem to work pretty well.  We spray expanding foam into the holes. It kills all the bees inside and keeps them from going back in.  We had TONS of bees the first year.  Far fewer bees this year.  

I tried shooting them with the Bug-a-Salt but it didn't do much but piss them off.  They just don't come close enough. Works great on bugs you can get within a couple feet of though.

Link Posted: 4/12/2022 9:49:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's the DIY I followed 7 years ago.  Just cut some aged 4x4's today to make all new traps this year.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/carpenter-bee-traps-upgraded.155465/

I leave the traps up year round.   The older "aged" traps seem to do better.  Some locations do better than others, too.

Using traps and CRC brake cleaner (red can) I've nearly eliminated my carpenter bee problem.

I spray active holes with brake cleaner and then plug them with wood glue and short dowel rods.

Brake cleaner kills them quickly if you catch them in flight.
Link Posted: 5/15/2022 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Here's the DIY I followed 7 years ago.  Just cut some aged 4x4's today to make all new traps this year.

https://www.smokingmeatforums.com/threads/carpenter-bee-traps-upgraded.155465/

I leave the traps up year round.   The older "aged" traps seem to do better.  Some locations do better than others, too.

Using traps and CRC brake cleaner (red can) I've nearly eliminated my carpenter bee problem.

I spray active holes with brake cleaner and then plug them with wood glue and short dowel rods.

Brake cleaner kills them quickly if you catch them in flight.
View Quote
So does WD-40.  I watch them crawl into a hole (before I sealed them all up) and they either don't come out or do come out and fall to the ground and quit wriggling after a couple seconds.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 12:16:15 PM EDT
[#26]
The Best bee trap I bought never caught anything but all my carpenter bees disappeared after I put Diatomaceous earth in some of the holes.  Assuming it killed them all.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 4:31:04 PM EDT
[#27]
As someone who lives in a log house, those bastards are a constant battle. Exterminators are useless, they cant control them. Out of desperation, what I found that works best is to spray my house twice a year with Permectrin II concentrated spray. I mix it about 3x as strong as the directions say and it will kill them bastards like Raid wasp killer does! It also kills any new ones that happen to fly in after treatment. I just sprayed Saturday in fact. I spray the whole house, not just where I see bore holes but when I come to a bore hole, I put the nozzle in and fill it full. Within seconds, if theres anything in there, it crawls out and dies where it falls.
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:15:22 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I shoot them with a mini-bolt and 22lR shotshells
View Quote

Mr Moneybags there.

I’ve got to fix my Marlin Garden Gun.   Have to complete the sear.   They changed the design and don’t stock the old style.

I also bought two traps, but I don’t think they included any scent/bait.  So far only two carpenter bees, but a couple mason bees too unfortunately
Link Posted: 5/16/2022 9:25:50 PM EDT
[#29]
My traps (homemade and store bought) caught more wasps than wood bees.

I just use 22 shot shells in a Single Six or a badminton racket.
Link Posted: 5/17/2022 10:29:43 PM EDT
[#30]
They work--my traps are full of dead bees.
My home is all cedar and we always had a problem.
I made mine from pallet wood for the front, back and top and scrap 1x3 furring strips for the sides and bottom.  Hellman's plastic mayonnaise jars attached to the bottom.
In other words, they cost nothing and I hang them all under the eaves at the corners.
Pix of one:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 5/21/2022 9:17:05 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Mr Moneybags there.

I’ve got to fix my Marlin Garden Gun.   Have to complete the sear.   They changed the design and don’t stock the old style.

I also bought two traps, but I don’t think they included any scent/bait.  So far only two carpenter bees, but a couple mason bees too unfortunately
View Quote

Always wanted a 22M garden gun
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top