Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/9/2021 10:03:03 PM EDT
I live in a shotgun only state and recently picked up the below Mossberg 500.   I need a recommendation for a scope that will survive the slug gun recoil, and be acceptable for 0-150m use.  

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fielddeer-54243/

Anyone have experience with a similar set up?
Link Posted: 4/11/2021 2:41:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I live in a shotgun only state and recently picked up the below Mossberg 500.   I need a recommendation for a scope that will survive the slug gun recoil, and be acceptable for 0-150m use.  

https://www.mossberg.com/product/500-combo-fielddeer-54243/

Anyone have experience with a similar set up?
View Quote

Any decent scope will survive shotgun recoil just fine, in my experience. I'd get something like this.

https://www.amazon.com/Leupold-VX-Freedom-2-7x33mm-Riflescope-Rimfire/dp/B078XGPY85

I have a similar setup, but with a 3-9x40 scope instead.
Link Posted: 4/12/2021 11:02:37 PM EDT
[#2]
A shotgun doesn't recoil appreciably more than any other medium or big bore rifle.  If you buy a $79 Tasco or Simmons or Barska POS scope, all bets are off.  Buy a decent brand and quality scope and you are good to go.

It's a shotgun.  The max effective range is indeed on the order of about 125, 150 yards.  You do NOT need a 4.5-14x scope!  Or even a 3-9x....   Every single shot within the limits of the shotgun can be effectively made with something on the order of a 1.5-5x or 1.5-6x scope.  The wider field of view is indeed helpful when ranges are close and you are hunting deer in the brush and swamps..

I'd be looking at a Leupold VX3i in 1.5-5.  You can get them for about $400.

Link Posted: 5/18/2021 6:51:46 PM EDT
[#3]
^This

A 1.5-5 scope works perfectly at shotgun ranges.
It's not like you are going to be shooting 300 yards and even a 1.5X sight is going to be able to make minute of deer hits at 100.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:19:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a similar setup.  Vortex crossfire in 2-7
Link Posted: 5/21/2021 3:26:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Pretty much already been covered.  Any decent scope brand will be fine.  My shoulder and cheek hurt just thinking about shooting my piece of shit 500.  Makes me really appreciate my 450 bushmaster.  It kicks too but much easier shooting than the mossy.  I. Hate. That. Rattle trap!
Link Posted: 10/28/2021 10:34:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
A shotgun doesn't recoil appreciably more than any other medium or big bore rifle.  If you buy a $79 Tasco or Simmons or Barska POS scope, all bets are off.  Buy a decent brand and quality scope and you are good to go.

It's a shotgun.  The max effective range is indeed on the order of about 125, 150 yards.  You do NOT need a 4.5-14x scope!  Or even a 3-9x....   Every single shot within the limits of the shotgun can be effectively made with something on the order of a 1.5-5x or 1.5-6x scope.  The wider field of view is indeed helpful when ranges are close and you are hunting deer in the brush and swamps..

I'd be looking at a Leupold VX3i in 1.5-5.  You can get them for about $400.

View Quote

This is correct.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top