Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/25/2021 11:50:05 PM EDT
I've been meaning to get into canning for the last few years.  Finally getting around to it, but apparently this year is not the year to do it.

It looks like supplies are getting more available, but I really don't know what a good price is...lids to be specific.  I would prefer to go with Ball or Kerr, and stay away from the Chinesium lids unless someone has some good recommendations.  

As mentioned, just looking for a good price per lid to be looking for on name brands.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:08:32 AM EDT
[#1]
After seeing a similar thread in the Homesteading forum.  Sounds like the best course of action is to try to find them in stock at the box stores and grocery stores at regular pricing vs. ordering from Amazon, etc.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:15:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Lids are still in short supply.  Best bet to purchase at traditional prices is just keep checking store shelves, even though, I am not sure the lids will fully return to previous prices.

I really thought the supply would have returned by now.

I sold a lot of our personal supply, that I had purchased with the idea of storing for trading if needed.  I am starting to second guess that decision.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 12:35:06 AM EDT
[#3]
we treat canning supplies like Ammo. when we see it on the shelves and it fits our needs/uses we buy it. lids, rings, jars. I've had a All American pressure canner for about ten years, we have three water bath canners from her parents and mine. we can every year. last fall, 2019, we weren't going to put up anything. In February I saw what was coming so we planted heavier and canned more. never going to stop from now on.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:27:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Lids are the one thing missing,  one option is Tattler reusable canning lids.  Tattler lids

I've been using then for two years now, and some green beans I did back in 2018 are still holding tight.  They're sold on Amazon, Lemans, other canning supplies houses.  Start with a small quantity and   see if they work out for you.

ETA. My failure rate with the Tattler lids isn't any higher than standard metal lids.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 1:53:05 AM EDT
[#5]
I have been checking my local Walmart.  Once in a while they get quart jars in, I have grabbed three dozen.  They did have some pints last time I looked.  Have not seen any lids or rings at all.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 2:01:41 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Lids are the one thing missing,  one option is Tattler reusable canning lids.  Tattler lids

I've been using then for two years now, and some green beans I did back in 2018 are still holding tight.  They're sold on Amazon, Lemans, other canning supplies houses.  Start with a small quantity and   see if they work out for you.

ETA. My failure rate with the Tattler lids isn't any higher than standard metal lids.
View Quote

Do you know if you can pressure can with these lids/rings?  What temp are they rated at?

EDIT: Nevermind...quick search says they are fine for pressure canning
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:15:13 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm just starting canning also.  Since I'm buying jars anyway, I'm glad they come with lids

Just came back from my local Menards.  

They had a dozen boxes of widemouth lids for $3.39/each.  I took 3 and another guy took 6 while I was there leaving one 3 boxes.

They did have quite a few flats of jars and I picked up another 3 dozen.
Link Posted: 2/27/2021 12:23:05 AM EDT
[#8]
In the summer if 2019 I decided food preservation was something I had sorely overlooked.

I was all over craigslist and scored about 40Dozen jars and picked up another 6 dozen in a couple kid big box stores.

I used a lot of 2020 due to almost dieing from Covid.

In the last month I have found 28 dozen boxes of rings and lids (all small mouth) in my local grocery store and another 7 dozen additional small kids.

Large mouth rings and lids are unseen here.

So I will keep stocking up on what I can when I can find it.
Link Posted: 3/2/2021 1:18:38 AM EDT
[#9]
I didn't have much luck with tattlers. They sealed fine at first but lost the vacuum over time.

Years ago I got some tattlers and another brand, looked identical to tattlers. I gave them to a couple that runs a small farm in SC. They didn't have a use for them but I was hoping they knew someone that could use them. Nobody seems to can around here. I mostly pressure can meat.

I've been able to find wide mouth bell lids in the stores for 5 something bucks in the stores but only chinesium regular lids.  I've seen packs of jars that include rings and lids but I have enough jars.

I have somewhat of a supply, some are pretty old. They still work fine.  I can't remember the last time I had a failure with metal lids.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:15:52 AM EDT
[#10]
The Amish store down the road got a number of cases of flats in last week from one supplier, and they had a fellow just stop in and sell them a skid of flats from another source.

I still have no flats at my store.  I have always bought from three sources, apparently I need several more.

So, I find that the people without a phone or internet can source flats better than the fellow with a phone and internet.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 12:08:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been lucky, I've been able to find lids and jars locally at some of the smaller grocery and hardware stores.  I also found a limited amount to supplies at TSC and another local farm store.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:39:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:21:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

It's always been kind of hard to find canning supplies in the off season, at least in northern climates.
View Quote

Stores don't want product setting on their shelves.  Manufacturers and warehouses still produce and stock up on the items based on the historical demand for the busy season.  As a store owner, I could always purchase the product, knowing that it would be a slow mover until the busy season.  Right now I can not because there is none in the warehouses I buy from.
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:15:35 PM EDT
[#14]
I got Amazon notifications for lids in stock from Kerr and Ball for wide mouth jars.  $46 for 72 Kerr lids and $100 for 144 lids from Ball.

Seems pricey!
Link Posted: 3/5/2021 4:51:31 PM EDT
[#15]
I just found some Ball standards and they were 29 cents each, and some no name wides that were 33 cents each.
Thought maybe I was over paying at the time, but will now buy all I can find at that price. Not as cheap as they used to be, but not hateful either.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:00:03 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I got Amazon notifications for lids in stock from Kerr and Ball for wide mouth jars.  $46 for 72 Kerr lids and $100 for 144 lids from Ball.

Seems pricey!
View Quote

Far higher than reasonable.  Would not buy at that price.

Fair retail price now for large mouth flats about $ 4.00 /doz  Need them price $ 5.00 doz +.  Stock up price $3.00 to $ 3.40/doz
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#17]
OP, what part of Texas are you in?

Walmart.com shows my local store has Kerr lids in stock at normal prices.   ($3.18/12)

They also have the Mainstay brand, which we never use, but they do say "Made in USA" on the box.

They do not have Ball lids in stock, but they do have Ball jars w/lids in stock.

Link Posted: 3/6/2021 9:50:38 AM EDT
[#18]
I don't do any canning yet but did buy a pressure canner a while back. That has nothing to do with my reply, LOL, but the most reliable place around here I have found for canning supplies is a local Wal-mart Neighborhood Market grocery store. One I have been in several times has always had at least a few flats of jars and quite a few lids. I think they had Kerr, Ball, and the store brand last time which probably a month ago.
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:21:40 PM EDT
[#19]
nothing in my AO or in their general walmart only .
they have some supplies from 3rd parties but $$$
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 12:22:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
we treat canning supplies like Ammo.
View Quote

isn't it crazy...
canning supplies is now like primers ammo gun stuff and toilet paper
Link Posted: 3/6/2021 8:50:35 PM EDT
[#21]
Was surprised to see a pallet stacked full of Ball pint and quart jars this morning at my Walmart,  so hopefully they're getting caught back up.   There were a few doz in the normal spot in the canning/ food preservation aisle, and the pallet was out in one of the main front-to-back aisles.  11.49/doz though on quarts and 9.99 on pints

Southwest MO
Link Posted: 3/8/2021 9:53:43 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
OP, what part of Texas are you in?

Walmart.com shows my local store has Kerr lids in stock at normal prices.   ($3.18/12)

They also have the Mainstay brand, which we never use, but they do say "Made in USA" on the box.

They do not have Ball lids in stock, but they do have Ball jars w/lids in stock.

View Quote

I'm in the Waco area, so I do have 4 different Walmarts to choose from, and I've had some luck doing that.  However, apparently I'm not the only one stocking canning supplies, so the shelves don't always reflect what the website shows by the time I can get there to snatch it up.
Link Posted: 3/10/2021 7:06:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Just an update for anyone looking for lids, I was able to score 12~12 packs of standard lids today (4 Ball/8 Kerr).  They must have gotten a shipment in since they still had unopened cases of lids on the shelf.  This was at the Bellmead Wal-Mart in Waco area if anyone is close by.  

They didn't have any jars or rings though, but with all these lids I'm sure I can find used jars and rings if need be.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top