Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/8/2022 7:32:22 PM EDT
If like to leave some canned goods at the cabin. Winter temps are well below freezing. Dry goods, flour, rice and so on are no worry.
But what about commercial canned stuff? Will canned tuna, sardines or Hormel chili and the like be safe to eat if the can is intact? What about easy open cans like Dak hams?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:37:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Dig a storm cellar about 6 feet deep and insulate the top. Nothing should freeze if there is a little salt in it.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:41:26 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought about that, but 4 feet of snow is a real concern.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 7:43:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I thought about that, but 4 feet of snow is a real concern.
View Quote

That snow is one hell of an insulator.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:32:47 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

That snow is one hell of an insulator.
View Quote

It is, but digging to the entrance isn't practical. So the stuff will be in the cabin.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 8:39:52 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have power to the cabin?
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:32:24 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Remote, no power, woodstove, Coleman lantern,  long drop toilet and spring for water. Winter access is by snowshoeing, skidoo or cross-country ski. That's why I'd like to stock it when I can drive to it. Then I don't have to pack so much stuff in.
Link Posted: 9/8/2022 9:48:24 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Remote, no power, woodstove, Coleman lantern,  long drop toilet and spring for water. Winter access is by snowshoeing, skidoo or cross-country ski. That's why I'd like to stock it when I can drive to it. Then I don't have to pack so much stuff in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

OK, so can you put a root cellar under the cabin somewhere?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 6:05:20 AM EDT
[#8]
The root cellar idea is probably the best answer, but it's not practical in this case. The ground in the area is too wet. I thought about a small side hill, but digging it out won't allow for winter access.
So are canned goods that freeze and that safe to eat?
Link Posted: 9/11/2022 9:08:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
The root cellar idea is probably the best answer, but it's not practical in this case. The ground in the area is too wet. I thought about a small side hill, but digging it out won't allow for winter access.
So are canned goods that freeze and that safe to eat?
View Quote

Most store bought canned goods will burst and be ruined. The only small canned goods I'd suggest are dried with no liquid. [enjoy your french fried onions and such] You are better off with  dried goods and freeze dried canned stuff like mountain house and dehydrated goods. [dried goods, rice, beans, seasonings, [a lot more then you think] and the like.[ Some MRE's would be OK, some might not be, you'd have to check with the manufacturer.

You MAY get by with some meats but if it's packed with water, it's a true crap shoot if it does freeze and lose it's seal.
Link Posted: 9/13/2022 1:23:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Throw a few cans of what you would take to the cabin in the freezer and see if they stay intact,go from there.
Or try storing them in a good cooler and see if they freeze.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top