Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2018 9:49:29 PM EDT
Didn’t want to highjack the other thread? Simple question.  Can I take my Carolina Skiff say 1/2 mike off the coast and randomly fire it into the ocean? Mabey make floating target stands to bounce  around in the waves.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:05:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Didn't want to highjack the other thread? Simple question.  Can I take my Carolina Skiff say 1/2 mike off the coast and randomly fire it into the ocean? Mabey make floating target stands to bounce  around in the waves.
View Quote
In theory yes. Depends on local laws. State Law extends three miles from shore.

Seen it done enough times in Miami. Folks go off three miles, throw weighted milk jugs into the water, and go a blazing.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:30:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, one step farther. My vacation house it in nc.  So how far out would I have to go legally?  I have a 21 foot flat bottom so not looking to go 3 miles out.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 10:52:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Just remember your backstop -- crazy as that sounds.  I read an article where a guy on the water was blazing away and a ricochet killed a young lady.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:06:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:25:15 PM EDT
[#5]
No one will know if you are IN the ocean. Shoot it all you want.
Link Posted: 3/13/2018 11:46:20 PM EDT
[#6]
on the ocean someone might shoot back
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:45:31 AM EDT
[#7]
There's what is legal, and then what is responsible. Miami_JBT already covered the legal part. The only thing I'll add is that we're assuming US territorial waters or international waters here. If you enter another Countries' waters (including their economic exclusion zones) it gets more interesting.

As far as what's responsible, ricochets do happen off water - and can go a LONG way. I only shoot rifles or handguns where I can't see anyone through binoculars to the horizon (roughly 23 to 28 miles), and even then I generally try to shoot from the highest point on the boat (the third story) downward. This dramatically reduces chances of a ricochet. Shooting from a few feet above the water would be a lot more risky IMHO. Shooting on inland waters or near shore towards land seems negligent to me unless you're using a shotgun.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:07:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There's what is legal, and then what is responsible. Miami_JBT already covered the legal part. The only thing I'll add is that we're assuming US territorial waters or international waters here. If you enter another Countries' waters (including their economic exclusion zones) it gets more interesting.

As far as what's responsible, ricochets do happen off water - and can go a LONG way. I only shoot rifles or handguns where I can't see anyone through binoculars to the horizon (roughly 23 to 28 miles), and even then I generally try to shoot from the highest point on the boat (the third story) downward. This dramatically reduces chances of a ricochet. Shooting from a few feet above the water would be a lot more risky IMHO. Shooting on inland waters or near shore towards land seems negligent to me unless you're using a shotgun.
View Quote
Can you expand on the laws of sailing into a foreign  port with weapons that would be illegal to own in that country?
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:36:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Can you expand on the laws of sailing into a foreign  port with weapons that would be illegal to own in that country?
View Quote
Such guns SHOULD be classed as "ships equipment" = a different legal footing to privately owned firearms
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 8:43:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Yes you can.
If 3 nautical miles out, you are past any state jurisdiction except in the gulf of mexico.
Less than 12, is federal, more is international.

Keep in mind the sound of a gun travels pretty far on a calm day and farther if the wind carries the sound.
Coast guard can and will stop and board you at any distance from shore for a 'safety check' if they hear gun shots.  They will spend hours combing through every locker on your boat and ask you about your sex life.
Been there done that.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:31:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yes you can.
If 3 nautical miles out, you are past any state jurisdiction except in the gulf of mexico.
Less than 12, is federal, more is international.

Keep in mind the sound of a gun travels pretty far on a calm day and farther if the wind carries the sound.
Coast guard can and will stop and board you at any distance from shore for a 'safety check' if they hear gun shots.  They will spend hours combing through every locker on your boat and ask you about your sex life.
Been there done that.
View Quote
Suppressor...
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 10:32:49 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
Frangible varmint bullets could help with the ricochet problem.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 11:08:06 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 1:00:09 PM EDT
[#14]
Ok I would shoot to the horizon with nobody in sight.  But what about 1 mile off the coast.  I know they say my boat is ocean going but it I don’t want to go out to far.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 2:03:54 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Ok I would shoot to the horizon with nobody in sight.  But what about 1 mile off the coast.  I know they say my boat is ocean going but it I don't want to go out to far.
View Quote
What does NC law state? 1 mile off shore is NC territorial waters and their laws apply.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 6:21:24 PM EDT
[#16]
I would want to shoot seagulls with a shotgun. That would be awesome
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:26:04 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
What does NC law state? 1 mile off shore is NC territorial waters and their laws apply.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Ok I would shoot to the horizon with nobody in sight.  But what about 1 mile off the coast.  I know they say my boat is ocean going but it I don't want to go out to far.
I can find anything laws about shooting from boats, found one that says you can’t shoot across a navigable river.
Link Posted: 3/14/2018 7:52:03 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I would want to shoot seagulls with a shotgun. That would be awesome
View Quote
I've heard that bread w/ Alka Seltzer works well.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 3:01:37 AM EDT
[#19]
Be aware gun shots done in controlled 3 shot increments are a recognized sign of distress. Meaning search and rescue could be called out and once on scene will most likely do a safety check and run your guns.
Link Posted: 3/20/2018 5:23:21 AM EDT
[#20]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top