Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/9/2018 9:35:33 PM EDT
Hey guys , been camping for a few yrs. Mainly dispersed in the Manistee national Forest area.  Over the years I've bought or tactically acquired gear ( that's to Usmc).

But now I wanna take the kids and wife out. Probably more of a campground type place ( there's a bunch around starved Rock).

The issue is they have 0 gear.  I'm in a bind because I would like to buy the best possible BUT 1 I'm broke lol and 2 I know they'd only use it once or twice a year.

Are there any sites you guys have used for specifically family camping stuff ?   Cheaper items that are good but won't break the bank ?

I'm looking for sleeping bags, iso mat's and pillows.   I have everything else.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:17:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I mean if your going to a camp ground...  Bring the pillows and blankets off a bed...  That's what we do and its great.  If you already have a tent...I would suggest air mattresses for the wife...cheap blue single thickness from walmarts work the best imho.

Camping with the family is totally different then alone.  Some creature comforts go a long way to getting them to enjoy it.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 10:31:56 PM EDT
[#2]
I agree.  Just never did it before lol.  Trying to see my options etc.    I guess since our car will be near by I can bring anything I want
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:45:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Sierra trading post is good for deals on gear. Sign up for emails and you'll receive additional discounts about every day.
Link Posted: 10/9/2018 11:50:32 PM EDT
[#4]
Just throw pillows and lots of blankets in the car, some pots/pans, and have a great time.  You can spend money once you know they like it.

Lots of blankets.  They can be used as pads and warmth.  And cold kids are kids not having fun.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 10:18:03 AM EDT
[#5]
If you're car camping weight isn't going to really matter. Unless you're packing it in or camping in really cold weather, the tents, sleeping bags and air mattresses sold at Wal-Mart work just fine. You can also check craigslist for used gear. People buy high end gear, use it once and find out that carrying heavy stuff on their back isn't for them.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 6:45:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Great advice from the other guys.

On this site we tend to be gear junkies but you will be absolutely fine using stuff from home. When I started out camping with family and was tight on money our only real expense was the tent.

We did just fine.
Link Posted: 10/10/2018 7:06:26 PM EDT
[#7]
Just looked at Sierra trading Post.  Not bad deals at all .  Especially for family to use once a year lmao. Going to starved Rock tomorrow solo so hopefully will be fun.
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 12:24:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Biggest Ozark Trail cabin tent you can swing and the thick inflatable mattresses.

You have everything else you need at home.

The above will cost less than a couple nights at a Holiday Inn.

Link Posted: 10/11/2018 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#9]
Look to craigslist for people who bought expensive tents and only used them once or twice.  I prefer cots over air mattresses, they get you off the ground and you can store all your gear underneath.  Good luck and have fun!
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 6:50:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Saw this on eBay . Just as an extra tent. Much cheaper than normal Price.  Can  Anyone with better eBay knowledge explain why it would be cheaper but say brand new?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Kelty-Acadia-4-Tent-4-Person-3-Season/253898018170?epid=537849166&hash=item3b1d804d7a:m:m68tFmQYngitunLaJfZplyQ
Link Posted: 10/11/2018 10:21:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Check out geartrade.com, some people think their used gear is worth more than it really is but you can find great deals. Craigslist, too, as already mentioned, but make sure to inspect everything closely. eBay is hit or miss, and you kinda have to know what you’re looking at because a lot of sellers don’t. Sierra Trading Post is mostly closeouts, and they have some great deals. I just bought a $200 pair of snowshoes for $70, they were a previous year’s color and had to go.
Link Posted: 10/19/2018 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#12]
I would look around the house for most of that.  Old towels can be rolled up and turned into pillows.  Or stuff a pillow case full of clothes they are going to wear camping.  Sleeping mats can just be blankets folded up or go to walmart and see if they have some cheap yoga mats or something.  Now and then they have em so cheap I bought em to use as foam for a case, had to build up a lot of layers but was cheaper than other stuff I looked at.

Tent, I don't know and I am cautious about anything I can't look at in person or take back to the store if it has issues.

I would probably be looking at smaller tent and a rain fly or tarp or canopy or something else to help make space for things.
Link Posted: 10/27/2018 11:40:07 PM EDT
[#13]
Camping with family is the best thing to do :)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top