Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2023 6:30:10 AM EDT
What are your thoughts on them?
Gimmick or useful tool?
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
Look nice but I have broken the blades on two of carni Z's, same blade metal and style. Both snapped in half. Nothing abusive,  just chopping on logs/limbs.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 10:46:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
What are your thoughts on them?
Gimmick or useful tool?
View Quote

More gimmick than tool. Not suitable for hard use. You’ll probably be OK with grasses, vines, weeds and light stuff.

They’ve done a few iterations of it and keep having problems with breakages. The early versions would break around the pin holes in the handle.

I bought one from Walmart on a whim one day on clearance. You can kinda tell why. Lots of weight out front due to the thick, squarish blade but the handle seems kinda light by comparison. So I imagine you end up with a lot of stress on the handle holes when you really start swinging it hard into something with some substance to it.

Buy one on the cheap to use around the yard. But no way I’d rely on it to make it through a camping trip where I’d be depending on it for anything substantial.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 12:46:35 PM EDT
[#3]
What would you recommend instead? I am retooling for the year for camping.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:41:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
What would you recommend instead? I am retooling for the year for camping.
View Quote

I actually have a good answer for this question.

ESEE Expat Libertariat Machete.  I have one, and while I haven't used it much it seems to be solid.

You might have to shop around for a bit, to find a deal on one but they can be had.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 6:46:22 PM EDT
[#5]
What about an axe recommendation.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:07:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
What about an axe recommendation.
View Quote

What type of axe or hatchet are you looking for?  What's its intended purpose?

There are many different brands, models, types, that all serve different purposes.
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Gimmick. Want a BGK? There are better choices from inexpensive ones like Kershaw camp series or mid priced like Esee. You can spend more but diminishing returns
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:23:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

What type of axe or hatchet are you looking for?  What's its intended purpose?

There are many different brands, models, types, that all serve different purposes.
View Quote

I was looking at the Camillus, for cleaning branches and twigs from tree limbs, clearing brush, and eventually settled on a BahCo Sandvik Swedish clearing axe, instead. One feature I like is the thinner, and replaceable, blades:

Ranger Tips: How to use a SANDVIK

Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Attachment Attached File

Reasonably priced, takes a beating, and if you do somehow manage to break it I believe Kershaw will send a new one. Unless it’s changes they have a life long warranty on all blades (except blems) even the Chicom imports.

CRKT has some decent choppers for the money as well
Link Posted: 2/20/2023 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Or learn to make your own. It’s actually a lot of fun and not as difficult as you might thinkAttachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/22/2023 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#11]
Bought one for 13 bucks at Walmart after Christmas clearance rack,

not the greatest "machete" but fits easily in my 5gallon fishing bucket/tackle box, works well enough for chopping down saplings, weeds and light brush to clear a small area on shoreline.

Wouldn't want to chop a trail through heavy brush or tall prairie grass with it, it's ok for light work on 1" or less size saplings/limbs, anything bigger than that you better off with a saw or axe.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 12:57:50 PM EDT
[#12]
the Camillus Carnivore has had breaking issues.

No longer produced but the the Ka-bar 5600 Potbelly and 5601 Baconmakers were 1095 steel and good for chopping.

The Benchmade 154BK Jungle Clip and 153 BK Jungle Bolos were very good (no longer produced) . Becker Bk 9 and many more like it. Check ebay for items.

My all around favorite for clearing  areas would be a Collins Machete or similar quality. Chances are you will hit rocks if chopping close to the ground. Get them at yard sales of thrift stores as well as ebay. I had 5 acres overgrown with bushes and blackberries and used a machete relentlessly.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 11:39:01 AM EDT
[#13]
I've owned a BK9 for around 15 years, been on many camping trips and used around the house and clearing brush at the range. Thing is a beast but hate the finish. Finish can be removed, videos online.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top