Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/19/2019 8:08:51 PM EDT
Somebody brought it up in other thread. Haven’t seen it myself used successfully.  Who uses it on regular basis, anybody here? I’d be interested to hear what you had to say about technique ect.  I’ve seen lots of videos, from folks that swear by it, but they also make money selling it , so I put zero stock in what they say .
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 9:19:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I’ve seen plenty of videos on it. I’d need to see it in Person.
Link Posted: 6/19/2019 11:26:21 PM EDT
[#2]
Tried it once without success. Shot a coyote one night off a piglet in distress call.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:09:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I tried a few times.

Only once did I see any pig action, and it was just one grunting back to the call.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:23:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Pasted from different thread; will be more relevant here.

Quoted:

I’ve hunted with several folks that swear calling pigs works .  I’ve never seen it be effective personally.  We sat in one spot for an hour one time with a guy that was using a call. Eventually a single came out 300ish yds away. He said see I told you so . But we’ve literally never gone to that spot and not seen pigs, so I can’t say for certain weather it’s effective or not .  I will say that I’d be willing to try again if somebody has one and wants to tag along. I’m just skeptical about it. But that’s strictly MY experience, not saying it can’t/won’t work in other areas, or operated in a more useful way maybe?
View Quote
I've been calling hogs for a year and a half now, so take this FWIW: In my experience, either they appear immediately after hearing the caller, or not at all.  I never spend more than 15 minutes in one spot, unless I'm switching to yote calling after the pigs no-showed.  An hour is a complete waste of your time, IMO.

When hogs respond to the caller, they're usually mad as hell.  In this video, you can see the caller on the left side of the image.  More than once, I've had a lead sow try to destroy the caller before I started shooting.  Whatever that sound is is something that gets mama pig incredibly agitated.  Shooting an advancing sounder is the biggest adrenaline rush I've ever felt while hunting.

I have never successfully called a lone boar, but I've seen it done by Glenn Guess (the inventor of all my sounds) many times.  The iPhone app has boar-specific sounds, and I always start with them like he teaches, but it hasn't worked yet.

Look at the timestamps in these two videos from the same night.  The first video is when I arrived and saw hogs eating the cows' hay.  The second video is a sounder coming in to me using Sow Hysteria from my caller.  It doesn't always work out like this, but it sure is cool when it happens.  I don't have giant swaths of agricultural land to traverse like some of you guys.  On my little properties, hogs are either there, or they ain't.  Using the caller has increased my odds of seeing pigs (and drawing them from neighboring properties) exponentially.

Happy shooting.

Link Posted: 6/20/2019 8:25:23 PM EDT
[#5]
I’ve seen the glen guess stuff.  To my knowledge he owns all the “sounds” . I’d like to see unedited video, not just sit down, press a button, and 300 lb pig comes out of the creek. I’m not saying it’s never happened. But I am saying that even a moron like me could edit video to make it appear that way .  Also , wild pigs domesticate real easy. So theoretically, you could train them to come to a call real easy, just like deer hear a feeder go off and come running .   Not saying that’s what has been done, but have been witness to some sketchy shit into the “hunting industry “.    Anyway, standing offer to anybody that swears it works. We got good killing grounds available. Will be gone a while for this whole stupid work thing , but I’m game if you fair warning, I’m gonna video whole thing, not just last 30 seconds .

To be clear, this convo is all in good fun, and am really interested to learn more if there’s more to be learned
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 8:49:51 PM EDT
[#6]
Where abouts in Texas are you?
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:30:08 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I've been calling hogs for a year and a half now, so take this FWIW: In my experience, either they appear immediately after hearing the caller, or not at all.  I never spend more than 15 minutes in one spot, unless I'm switching to yote calling after the pigs no-showed.  An hour is a complete waste of your time, IMO.

When hogs respond to the caller, they're usually mad as hell.  In this video, you can see the caller on the left side of the image.  More than once, I've had a lead sow try to destroy the caller before I started shooting.  Whatever that sound is is something that gets mama pig incredibly agitated.  Shooting an advancing sounder is the biggest adrenaline rush I've ever felt while hunting.

https://i.imgur.com/6yIHL7y.gif

I have never successfully called a lone boar, but I've seen it done by Glenn Guess (the inventor of all my sounds) many times.  The iPhone app has boar-specific sounds, and I always start with them like he teaches, but it hasn't worked yet.

Look at the timestamps in these two videos from the same night.  The first video is when I arrived and saw hogs eating the cows' hay.  The second video is a sounder coming in to me using Sow Hysteria from my caller.  It doesn't always work out like this, but it sure is cool when it happens.  I don't have giant swaths of agricultural land to traverse like some of you guys.  On my little properties, hogs are either there, or they ain't.  Using the caller has increased my odds of seeing pigs (and drawing them from neighboring properties) exponentially.

Happy shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/Shb7oYc.gif

https://i.imgur.com/F2TtZSu.gif
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I’ve hunted with several folks that swear calling pigs works .  I’ve never seen it be effective personally.  We sat in one spot for an hour one time with a guy that was using a call. Eventually a single came out 300ish yds away. He said see I told you so . But we’ve literally never gone to that spot and not seen pigs, so I can’t say for certain weather it’s effective or not .  I will say that I’d be willing to try again if somebody has one and wants to tag along. I’m just skeptical about it. But that’s strictly MY experience, not saying it can’t/won’t work in other areas, or operated in a more useful way maybe?

https://i.imgur.com/6yIHL7y.gif

Happy shooting.

https://i.imgur.com/Shb7oYc.gif

https://i.imgur.com/F2TtZSu.gif
I kinda wonder if the amount of pressure here from the doggy boy's has effected the way pigs vocalize. Used to you'd hear hogs long before you saw them and now they slip in pretty quietly. My thoughts are sometimes dogs hear them long before they pick up the trail. I know my dog used to bark more when hogs were present but now he only barks if the wind is right.
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#8]
I have one of those Guess callers, but haven't played with it much.

Good to hear some positive reports on it.

May have to dig it out and try it where I always see pigs, just to study their response.
Link Posted: 7/8/2019 1:26:47 AM EDT
[#9]
My dad makes game calls, and also makes a pig squeal call.
Ived used it it some success,  but major of the time I end up walking or driving up on the pigs
Link Posted: 7/14/2019 11:40:17 PM EDT
[#10]
"Vampigra" has been my go-to sound lately.  Here's a sow coming in crazily angry after about 15 minutes of calling.  I was about to give up.  I wish the scope had better audio, but something about being waterproof must interfere with audio sensitivity.  Anyway, I heard her grunting and shorting loooong before I saw her at 150 yards.

Sow called in with Convergent Hunting / Glenn Guess “Vampigra”
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:13:04 PM EDT
[#11]
I've talked pigs into walking right up to me in the rice fields once or twice, more often than not I make pig noises to just fool them into thinking I'm just another pig sploshing around.  
They will sometimes sound back and forth with you if you do it right and it makes them easy to find.  Kinda like playing Marco Polo.

It works really well when you nuke the dominant sow right off with a single shot and the rest of the sounder isn't really sure what to do.  You can talk them right into their deaths.  Especially the small ones.

I kinda feel evil after writing this.  :D
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 6:25:54 PM EDT
[#12]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3UHmHQomIAQ
Link Posted: 7/17/2019 7:14:48 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/31/2019 4:01:45 AM EDT
[#14]
My son uses calls from Hog Zombies.  I didn't believe it until we did it a couple of times.  We've called a few times from just sitting up in what we think is a good spot.  About 50% success rate.  What we usually do is stalk the woods/creek area until we hear them.  then we start calling.  They've always come towards the call.  Only reason we haven't had 100% success is they bust us (scent or sight) before we start shooting.  And we've not shot over 35 yards since doing it this way.

I have to admit, I was skeptical but I'm now a believer.  It is a heck of a rush to have a sounder running through the brush towards you.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 10:36:23 AM EDT
[#15]
May have to give that a try. Only problem is I almost never hear any pigs out in the woods anymore.  They stay quit and slip in to a feeder and are gone.
Link Posted: 11/4/2019 2:01:37 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
May have to give that a try. Only problem is I almost never hear any pigs out in the woods anymore.  They stay quit and slip in to a feeder and are gone.
View Quote
Never once have I heard pigs and then subsequently called them in.  All the pigs I've called in were either too far away for me to hear them, or were not making any noise.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 3:15:40 PM EDT
[#17]
Tried it for the first time today. Called one spot that looked good and nothing. Moved about 200 yards and jumped three so sat right there and called.  At 4:20 on my call timer I had a sounder approach from the opposite direction. They came from down wind and one saw my buddy and backed off but they didn’t leave as long as I had the caller on. As soon as I turned it off, after watching them for about five minutes, the took off not scared just not anxious to stay there. Gotta say I’m a believer. Testing it out the rest of this week for a competition this weekend, I’ll post some updates if they’re worth it.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Tried it for the first time today. Called one spot that looked good and nothing. Moved about 200 yards and jumped three so sat right there and called.  At 4:20 on my call timer I had a sounder approach from the opposite direction. They came from down wind and one saw my buddy and backed off but they didn’t leave as long as I had the caller on. As soon as I turned it off, after watching them for about five minutes, the took off not scared just not anxious to stay there. Gotta say I’m a believer. Testing it out the rest of this week for a competition this weekend, I’ll post some updates if they’re worth it.
View Quote
I wasn't there, but the three hogs that you "jumped" were well within range of your call (well, assuming you were using a good speaker).  What were they doing when you "jumped" them? Laying down asleep?
Link Posted: 8/18/2020 11:30:39 AM EDT
[#19]
I’ve had descent luck with calling in solo boars with the “boar magnet” using the bullet.  But also had a group sows come in to it and seemed very skittish with the boar magnet.  Best advice I can give is put it out in the field and play with it.
Link Posted: 11/8/2020 6:42:15 PM EDT
[#20]
I have a FoxPro Shockwave. Does anyone have any hog calls they will let me use on an upcoming hog hunt with some arfcommers?

I have the stock hog calls on my caller, but wouldn't mind some different ones.
Link Posted: 11/9/2020 11:23:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I have a FoxPro Shockwave. Does anyone have any hog calls they will let me use on an upcoming hog hunt with some arfcommers?

I have the stock hog calls on my caller, but wouldn't mind some different ones.
View Quote
I've had hogs come to one of the coon calls on the foxpro a few times. Think it was the mad boar one. The poster who said they come in hot is right from what i've experienced.
Link Posted: 11/10/2020 1:39:47 PM EDT
[#22]
after doing some research, i decided to buy a few hog sounds for my Shockwave.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top