Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/23/2018 12:36:29 AM EDT
The CQ World Wide DX contest is this weekend.  It runs from 0000Z Saturday to 2359Z Sunday.  It is a CW only contest, but the exchange is easy.....RST and CQ Zone.

This should be a good opportunity to pickup some  DX stations.

Details here.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 10:35:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll tune around a bit and watch the DX spotting lists for any DX I need.  I'm no CW expert, but I can recognize my call coming back at up to 35 wpm and get the standard exchange if there is no surprise.  My FTDX3000 has a memory keyer to send my callsign at the push of a button, otherwise I'd get pretty tired of pounding out my callsign a zillion times on my old J-38 straight key.  

I sure hope prop is a little better than it has been.
Link Posted: 11/23/2018 6:15:38 PM EDT
[#2]
The boys are getting anxious.  The bands are starting to fill up DX stations warming up. The contest starts in about 1+45.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 9:31:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Went to the radio room on and off last night.  Added about 10 new countries on 160 M, from tip of SA to EU and all points in between.  If they all LoTW, it should put me up to around 60 confirmed.  Heard some scratchy middle eastern type countries in there, but I have just a bit too much noise here to hear them well.

Always have to wait for the amplified stations to clear out.  90 Watts seems to be QRP on 160 M.

Next on the list - finish the Power Amp, and build my loop RX antenna idea.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 9:08:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Made about 50 contacts yesterday, couple of good ones.  I'll never understand the guys who spend all their time sending CQ and don't even slow down for a second to listen.  Not sure how they make contacts, or maybe they just set it to do that so they can get a cup of coffee and hold the frequency.  Getting better at reading the really fast ones.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 12:00:43 PM EDT
[#5]
Haven't even turned the rig on.  

I picked up a new computer to replace my aging Mac Pro, and I've been screwing around with it al weekend.  It's not my shack computer, it's my "primary" computer in my home office area.  Not sure why it takes so long, but it sure does. Anyway, it's all set up, and now it's time to transfer all the apps/data over.  We'll see how it goes, and hopefully I'l be able to get on the air some today.
Link Posted: 11/25/2018 11:58:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I tuned around and was going to give it a try.. The CW speeds were just to darn fast for for me to work with.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top