Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/13/2020 9:53:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: KB7DX]
From Duluth MN..  LINK

" One of the best-known brands of outboard boat motors has been discontinued, with the company saying it fell victim to COVID-19."

Well, those of us in the industry know it wasn't COVID-19 by itself..

"As government emission regulations became stricter in the 1990s, Evinrude struggled to keep up with new technologies. Its previous owner, Outboard Marine Corporation, partnered with German company FICHT to work on updating the motors to have direct oil injection instead of the old-style oil and gas mixing. The technology lead to engine failures and recalls that eventually helped bankrupt OMC."

VRO played a part as well. Very Rarely Oiled is an insiders joke..

Don't get me wrong, I love the older 2 cylinder 2-strokes, Light Twins, Sport Twins etc, but OMC

couldn't quite get it right with more than two cylinders IMO.
Link Posted: 6/14/2020 4:23:02 AM EDT
[#1]
I've heard nothing but good about the G2 E-TECs.  10 year warranty to boot?  I'd be in.  In fact, when I was planning on a new Vexus 1980, I was going to go the G2HO 150HP route.
Link Posted: 6/15/2020 1:07:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Fitch cost them a ton of money.
Know a guy that went through 5 long blocks because of it.
Funny thing is the vro were reliable up here. The 40hp and 70hp would darn near run on water. Good motors.

Etec1 and 2 were finicky about the fuel and oil. People did get stranded out in the middle of nowhere because of it.
Does not help when you have no dealer and have to air freight the motor on your own dime both ways.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 2:29:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 3:17:52 PM EDT
[#4]
My family were dealers, cousin was a certified tech.  They literally got about 2 weeks notice before it went public.  Kind of crappy.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 8:27:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top