Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/9/2022 11:40:49 PM EDT
What and how do you carry while on a float trip???

I went on one today and did not carry. My only kydex holster broke and I didn't want to wear my hybrid Crossbreed in the water.

Also, none of my swim trucks have belt loops for a belt...

Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:04:24 AM EDT
[#1]
I kayak fish a lot and I use a dry box thats a perfect size for my glock 43x.
They make them in non translucent colors as well.
Put in cooler or velcro to your leg or arm like runners use for iPhones. Maybe some paracord to make sure it doesnt get dropped and float away and your good.

We yak fishermen use alot of dry boxes for stuff.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:29:04 AM EDT
[Last Edit: RileyJacobs] [#2]
I keep my G43 in the soft side beer cooler pouch, because its hard to hide with a skimpy bikini.  When kayaking, in a dry box in the hull.  I guess I have a NAA 22lr that I carry in a belt buckle when working and could find alternative ways (what would be the opposite of a dry box?) to bikini carry it if I felt I needed it.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:43:53 AM EDT
[#3]
Something like this could be an option.

I’ve floated the guadalupe river a few times but never had room to fit my Glock 26.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DEGYTC6/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 12:55:48 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By kobayashimaru:
Something like this could be an option.

I’ve floated the guadalupe river a few times but never had room to fit my Glock 26.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01DEGYTC6/ref=sspa_mw_detail_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&sp_csd=d2lkZ2V0TmFtZT1zcF9waG9uZV9kZXRhaWwp13NParams#aw-udpv3-customer-reviews_feature_div
View Quote

That would be ideal for those panzy hipsters that won't step on a vessle without constantly wearing a lifejacket.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 8:15:25 AM EDT
[#5]
Simms "dry bag" belted to a 22 ft. raft made it through a full flip in class 4 rapids on the Snake river. Never again.
Link Posted: 7/10/2022 9:59:21 AM EDT
[#6]
I sewed a nylon "loop" to the side of my swim trunks that I can attach a carabineer with a small length of Paracord attached to a dry box that has my spare key + ID + spending cash.

If I tump over, it stays with me while I recover other gear.  

Floated tubes a few times easy & works in my canoe too.

Bigger_Hammer
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:05:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Depends on what I'm floating.

On our canoe- i have seat pads that have an under-seat zip closed storage area.  G19 goes in there just fine and is in easy reach.

On my Jackson kayak- G19 fits inside the center storage bag right between my legs.  If it didn't have this storage, I'd use a dry bag, piece of 550 cord, and carabiner to attach to the seat frame.

Or a lot of times, I wear a pair of shorts with belt loops instead of swim trunks and just carry IWB like normal with a kydex holster.  I have some of the quick-dry shorts so it's just like trunks.

It's a Glock.  It gets wet and sweaty.  I'll clean it later, and after using the same carry gun for several years, yeah, it has a little rust pitting here or there.  But it gets shot monthly and has always ran.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#8]
I usually took my LCP and kept if in two zip lock bags with some air in them. Of course I could have bought a nice floating case , but why do that!

Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:24:34 PM EDT
[#9]
I just floated the San Marcos river. One of the trips, I had the 19X in a Dry bag, the second time, I wore magellen shorts with a Kore nylon belt and my alien gear holster.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:29:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Tupperware.
Link Posted: 7/28/2022 5:44:51 PM EDT
[#11]
Glock with  Maritime Spring Cups
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:32:43 PM EDT
[#12]
I float with an HPG kitbag if I don't I'm going in the water deeper than knee deep.  In deeper water I toss it in the dry hatch.
Link Posted: 8/1/2022 2:57:54 PM EDT
[#13]
HPG snubby or toss it in that orange dry box with my wallet and keys:

Link Posted: 8/4/2022 12:20:05 PM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By JDatTOA:
I float with an HPG kitbag if I don't I'm going in the water deeper than knee deep.  In deeper water I toss it in the dry hatch.
View Quote

I'm usually using an HPG Kit Bag, especially for kayaking. My wife is lining us up to do some boondocking and "paddle boarding" several springs in the Ocala National Forest area next year. We were going to go with kayaks, but the inflatable paddle boards are proving very robust and will be fine for shorter trips. I'll be rocking a kit bag and likely just use my Glock 43, possibly in a dry bag (not sure yet). Gun don't melt or rust in a day, so I may just let the Glock take the water, humidity, sweat, rain, heat, etc. and just wipe it down at night around the campfire.

If you're not embarrassed and have the cattle to wear a kit bag, they're the best option I've found to CCW for a variety of outdoor activities.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 8/9/2022 5:14:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Decades ago I used to canoe with a S&W shoulder holster for a M13 3".  My 3" CA Bulldog also fits it.  Did some white water rafting in the Smoky Mtns in the 90s and wore my LW Officers in my IWB holster on belt.  Done lots of rubber boat dive operations around the world and would keep a M9 with spare mags in a Bianchi fanny pack clipped into Zodiac.  Within the last 10 yrs done many canoe trips with my EDC Smith 442 pocket carried in shorts as normal.  Another option would be a belly band rig.  I just made half dozen 6 mos ago for my use.

CD
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 2:42:55 PM EDT
[#16]
I kayak fish & keep my CCW in a Pelican case. Im looking for a more "quick access" solution.
Link Posted: 9/27/2022 5:02:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Adapt your wardrobe to your gun/gear instead of adapting your gun/gear to your wardrobe.
No matter what activities you are participating in.
Link Posted: 1/9/2023 12:21:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By RileyJacobs:

That would be ideal for those panzy PANSY hipsters that won't step on a vessle VESSEL without constantly wearing a lifejacket.
View Quote

so safety is now pansy and hipster
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:42:13 AM EDT
[#19]
A Fanny pack would work for keys, wallet and pistol. LApolicegear makes one.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 9:53:50 AM EDT
[#20]
PM9 in pelican case which sits in my pelican cooler while on the Guadalupe.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 10:07:17 AM EDT
[#21]
The front pouch on the waders mostly.  If I'm in the boat I carry a shotgun in the rod locker and the pistol is in the center console.
Link Posted: 6/3/2023 11:22:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Synthetic web belt, some kind of synthetic outdoorsy/board shorts with belt loops, and full kydex. Probably want retention. In canoe, kayak, john boat, bigger, sure. Tubing trip? I’d off body carry. Probably in holster, dummy corded to cooler, dummy corded to tube.

If you want a rusty boat anchor to not worry about, I have a Shield 9 that I can part with. Pull anchor, engage target while maneuvering by floating. Perfect, right?

Seriously fellas, don’t let your Shield get wet. Freaking rust bucket.
Link Posted: 6/16/2023 10:08:29 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Niel1Up] [#23]
Update: I now carry in one of two water proof (rated for diving) hip packs / fanny packs I have. One is from Yeti (i doesnt have a strap so you must wear a belt) & the other I forget the brand, but its more like a traditional fanny pack with its own "strap". I prefer the Yeti overall.
Link Posted: 7/18/2023 11:10:37 PM EDT
[#24]
This is advertised as being useful for fishermen, no idea if it has any waterproofing or even water residence. I'd want something on my body for the gun, wallet, phone,...

https://mountainsmith.com/collections/all-lumbar-packs/products/timber
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top