Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/19/2022 3:52:08 PM EDT
So, FM is now legal on 11m, same 4 watts, same channels.  President Thomas is the first AM/FM type accepted radio on the market.  Though, the Bill II, and Randy II (HT) are waiting for FCC approval.  Uniden has the PC76LTXFM and the Bearcat 880FM awaiting approval, too.  I'm guessing that all of President's AM and AM/SSB rigs will have FM soon enough, since most of them have the capability which has been locked out in software.

I've kinda gotten back into CB, new developments like this, and a host of radios that aren't just rehashed old ones, that actually have decent receivers, is kinda nice.

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:15:31 PM EDT
[#1]
I guess I should just google it, but this being a discussion forum, are you saying that CB is limited to 4 watts? For some reason, I thought more than that was allowed.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 5:22:53 PM EDT
[#2]
4 watts on am, 12 pep on ssb, despite what the good buddies at the truck stop will tell you.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 6:11:59 PM EDT
[#3]
"FM"

we know

nobody cares

Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:25:04 PM EDT
[#4]
So now I have to get my CB modded for FM too.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:50:20 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
4 watts on am, 12 pep on ssb, despite what the good buddies at the truck stop will tell you.
View Quote

Thanks.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Local ragchew could benefit from FM.  Nice.  No earth shaking way forward, though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:08:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Brings back memories of when CB was legalized in the UK ... but only on FM

Everyone wanted to scrap FM and be able to use AM and SSB.

FM will be fine while parked next to the person you are talking to...
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 8:52:52 PM EDT
[#8]
How the hell can I shoot skip on FM!?!?!?
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#9]
I just looked at the permissible emissions... 8K0F3E. That's narrower than the 11K2F3E currently used for LMR applications between 50 MHz and 470 MHz.

The audio is either going to be overly companded or have a much lower low pass filter and won't provide great fidelity.
Link Posted: 4/19/2022 10:54:40 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have talked thousands of miles away on 29mhz FM, . . . CB FM ( 27mhz ) will be about the same
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 7:39:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

I have talked thousands of miles away on 29mhz FM, . . . CB FM ( 27mhz ) will be about the same
View Quote
The lip-flappin' gum-smackin' types will be disappointed in the swing.  
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:20:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
The lip-flappin' gum-smackin' types will be disappointed in the swing.  
View Quote

There are plenty of those types on 80m any time you want to hear them.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 12:41:43 PM EDT
[#13]
Just as a caution, I got the new President mobile radios. I probably should have checked first but
they don't have CTCSS. And they really really really need it.

On channel 6 (a preferred channel for the guys running illegal linears) and quite a few others with a
real antenna the radio will never close the squelch for more than a few seconds due to how high
the noise floor is.
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 1:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I was just being an ass. Getting ready to pick up some Lot Lizards after showin' 'em my fancy new FM skyburner, after it's been peaked and tuned.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 10:06:47 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Brings back memories of when CB was legalized in the UK ... but only on FM.
View Quote

There are (or were) "export" models being sold here in the US that are both AM and FM - and are usable without modification on some 10M ham repeaters.

IIRC, they were originally intended for CB use in some parts of Europe (Italy maybe?).
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:30:50 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Just as a caution, I got the new President mobile radios. I probably should have checked first but
they don't have CTCSS. And they really really really need it.

On channel 6 (a preferred channel for the guys running illegal linears) and quite a few others with a
real antenna the radio will never close the squelch for more than a few seconds due to how high
the noise floor is.
View Quote
The Anytone AT-500M has CTCSS/DCS, but the radio, at least the one I got, was junk.  Very poor modulation on AM, was below some stock HT's.  Sent it back.  Yea, that channel is a mess, but I also hear a lot of DX on several other channels, and anything above 33 is usually SSB.  This includes the "freeband" area.  There's a guy in Florida, Lester, who has a bunch of videos of him modding radios, either with replacing transistors, or adding an amp, or whatnot, and I have no idea how this guy is still in business.  The FCC has spanked many "cb shops" for doing stuff like this.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 9:40:49 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
The Anytone AT-500M has CTCSS/DCS, but the radio, at least the one I got, was junk.  Very poor modulation on AM, was below some stock HT's.  Sent it back.  Yea, that channel is a mess, but I also hear a lot of DX on several other channels, and anything above 33 is usually SSB.  This includes the "freeband" area.  There's a guy in Florida, Lester, who has a bunch of videos of him modding radios, either with replacing transistors, or adding an amp, or whatnot, and I have no idea how this guy is still in business.  The FCC has spanked many "cb shops" for doing stuff like this.
View Quote

I'm thinking low band Syntor X9000...VCO should lock in 27 MHz and it will only bleed a half channel on either side.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:07:15 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote

Linear Amplifier Bro
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 11:41:53 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yes, many, many channels are just useless in most of the CONUS, and primarily due to a small group in the south and upper midwest from what I can tell.

If you read into the culture, it sounds like the hardcore guys are running about 20KW. And some of them are doing that mobile(!).

I was really hoping FM CB would work well here (I'm in a mountainous area where lower freqs would be better) but I couldn't get things to work out of the box because of how bad the QRM is.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 3:46:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:09:28 PM EDT
[#21]

Keydown, aerials on fire!!!.USA. Shared by 30LS001
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#22]

Their splatter is probably still contributing to QRM years later.
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 7:18:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I'm thinking low band Syntor X9000...VCO should lock in 27 MHz and it will only bleed a half channel on either side.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I built an arduino VCO divider driver for them with a direct entry interface and OLED display. I think it locked from about 24 up to 70 something. I need to revisit that project.
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#24]
Ham friend of mine had one of those. He would switch antennas from 6m to 10m depending on propagation on the latter. I wonder if the TYT9800 will go down to 27Mhz?
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 5:13:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I used to know a few of the guys that did this back in the 90's.

"Four pieces of glass will get a tetrode stuck in your @$$..."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IfS4oMa1Jg

Sir Mix Alot has a few "CB" songs. One titled "Big Johnson". LOL!
View Quote

Love it!
Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:30:24 PM EDT
[#26]
Yup.
It was lobbied hard by the folks who make 11m radios.

It'll drive the sale of new rigs, but isn't really an earth shattering mode, IMO. YMMV.

You're better off buying an 11m SSB rig.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 9:27:28 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Yup.

It'll drive the sale of new rigs, but isn't really an earth shattering mode, IMO. YMMV.

You're better off buying an 11m SSB rig.
View Quote

Resized for quote.

Cobra and President were the two that lobbied for it.  Obviously sales of rigs was their motive.  IMHO, they should have also lobbied for additional frequencies.  Maybe 20KHz above and 20KHz below.  Freebanders use that area anyway.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 10:19:55 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I wonder if the TYT9800 will go down to 27Mhz?
View Quote

It will
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:10:54 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Resized for quote.

Cobra and President were the two that lobbied for it.  Obviously sales of rigs was their motive.  IMHO, they should have also lobbied for additional frequencies.  Maybe 20KHz above and 20KHz below.  Freebanders use that area anyway.
View Quote

I'd be a bit less cynical if they added FM to a SSB/AM mode radio. Maybe eventually...
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#30]
They probably will eventually although most "power users" won't care.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:28:05 PM EDT
[#31]

It's 20-30 years too late.

CB is dead.

[billy crystal- prince's bride]  mostly dead
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:41:58 PM EDT
[#32]
So now I can have my own top 40 FM station?  
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:44:37 PM EDT
[#33]
Sure. You will need a 20kw amp and a 400 foot tower. LOL.
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 2:48:11 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:18:20 PM EDT
[#35]
I hear Freebanders here several times during the week and multiple times during the weekend on 11m.  Now mostly driving up and down the nearby highway yelling "Audio! Audio! Audio!"  with enough power to come in on my stereo speakers, duh.  It took me a while to narrow down what band was coming thru on the speakers, about the time I had it figured out was when several started yelling Audio Audio as they went by
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:30:21 PM EDT
[#36]
10-4
Link Posted: 4/23/2022 5:43:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 1:11:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

It hasn't been lately. I was looking at the waterfall on my 7300

last week during the day and there was activity all over 11m.

Granted local traffic is almost nil, but the "skip shooters" are still there.

I did run across a group of locals on ch 39 LSB that hang out there

all the time.
View Quote

There used to be (and maybe still is) a pretty large group of spanish speakers on CB, mostly Mesa/Guadalupe area IIRC.

There's no shortage of activity on CB, it's just that there's so much QRM from the guys running power it's
difficult for local comms if you just want to hear the other guy when he presses the mic button like VHF.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:20:41 AM EDT
[#39]
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:52:35 AM EDT
[#40]
This induced a solid chuckle on my end, gooood buddyyyyy.

Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:03:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Ham friend of mine had one of those. He would switch antennas from 6m to 10m depending on propagation on the latter. I wonder if the TYT9800 will go down to 27Mhz?
View Quote

Motorola had a diplex chart using specific lengths of RG-58 tee'd to one another for the purpose of using one radio and fixed antennas in the space.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 2:13:14 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote

Who are idiots.

Could have just done ACSB without any change from the FCC, had higher power, increased range, and 2x the available frequencies.

Oh wait, that's if they actually wanted useful communications. This is CB.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 3:23:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Who are idiots.

Could have just done ACSB without any change from the FCC, had higher power, increased range, and 2x the available frequencies.

View Quote

That would also require tech beyond 1970s era consumer radio design, which they don't really seem to be capable of doing.

They could easily implement ACSB, selective calling and god knows what other features using a DSP from a decade ago.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I hear Freebanders here several times during the week and multiple times during the weekend on 11m.  Now mostly driving up and down the nearby highway yelling "Audio! Audio! Audio!"  with enough power to come in on my stereo speakers, duh.  It took me a while to narrow down what band was coming thru on the speakers, about the time I had it figured out was when several started yelling Audio Audio as they went by
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

And some wonder why there is apprehension about everyone and their dog buying baothings.

Quoted:
That would also require tech beyond 1970s era consumer radio design, which they don't really seem to be capable of doing.

They could easily implement ACSB, selective calling and god knows what other features using a DSP from a decade ago.

Who needs selective calling when the target market drives up and down the highway saying "AUUUUUUDIO" over and over to see how much power they're getting out of their illegal amplifier that's probably spewing harmonics all the way into the WiFi band.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:08:13 PM EDT
[#45]
It's 20-30 years too late. CB is dead.
View Quote

All the better to have a few of them around...
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 9:14:04 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Who are idiots.

View Quote

Well, you can't say that every decision the Gov't makes is logical...

And CB is useful, if you're in an area not overrun with noise. I run a weekly net that works pretty well.
Link Posted: 4/24/2022 10:07:49 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

Well, you can't say that every decision the Gov't makes is logical...

And CB is useful, if you're in an area not overrun with noise. I run a weekly net that works pretty well.
View Quote

ACSB fits into the current legalities of SSB CB, I think his issue is someone like President should be implementing
that, not FM. An ACSB radio would have 12W out and support 80 channels (both sidebands could carry traffic.)
Since ACSB using a pilot tone, there's no special tuning involved (the radio sees the tone and adjusts RX to be
spot on, like an automatic clarifier.)

It really is a no-brainer, I'd never thought of it before but it really is stupid that the CB manufacturers aren't doing this.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 5:52:21 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
It really is a no-brainer, I'd never thought of it before but it really is stupid that the CB manufacturers aren't doing this.
View Quote

Agreed. Pity.
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:08:57 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

It's 20-30 years too late.

CB is dead.

[billy crystal- prince's bride]  mostly dead
View Quote
Have you listened to it lately?  It's a good indication of when 10m is open.  
Link Posted: 4/25/2022 11:10:07 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View Quote
Look for the suburbans with the monkey made antennas.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top