Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/19/2019 11:22:36 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#1]
When I raise birds for food, I usually get Cornish Crosses, they get big quickly, with the right food they stay healthy.  They need a higher protein food than layers.

Any feed store should be able to give you information on who to buy from.  It's a few months late for finding chickens at feed stores in this area.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 12:49:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:09:21 AM EDT
[#3]
Try Meyer Hatchery. You can buy online and have them delivered or just make the ~1.5 hour drive up to Polk, OH to pick them up. It’s a pretty cool place and neat to see their operation. $2/bird is a pretty fair price. I assume that is just cleaned and in bags though, not parted out or in freezer bags. If you have any questions about raising them I might be able to help. Egg layers are more my style though.

PS: I hope that your son is doing well!
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:25:53 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 1:32:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Thanks Nate! Camden is doing absolutely amazing, he just turned six yesterday. He just graduated preschool and is off to 1st grade in the fall. Little man is a miracle and we are very blessed to have no lasting effects from the injuries/accident, thank god.

We currently have 25 layers. I was hoping to get into some broilers/fryers/freezer birds this summer.

Polk is the one that is about an hour away. You say they give you a tour of the facility?

I may load up the family and head up there then, the kids would love it.
View Quote
Didn’t get a full tour or anything but they have a nice little shop there with a lot of good odds and ends. Nice folks. I’m sure they would be willing to show you around a bit more if you asked. It does seem a little bit silly to drive an hour to pick them up but if you can plan it for a nice day it’s a fun little trip, especially with the kids. At least it was for me! I got my original 8 layers from them. All good, healthy birds. Some “regulars” like Rhode Island Reds and some odd balls like Cochins. I was very impressed with their selection and their customer service.
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 6:44:07 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:25:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:26:48 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 10:36:45 AM EDT
[#9]
We use to raise meat for personal use and to sell.
Cornish Cross is the go to, but Poulet Rouge are fryer size, taste better and more hearty that the Cornish X. They do take a week or so longer to get to size. They are delicious and can be sold for more than the X.
The Poulet can be free ranged.
Make sure your neighbors are ready to slaughter when the birds are. There's a time difference between fryer and broiler size.
The Cornish are delicate. We raised them in chicken tractors and had to be very careful of the heat and moisture.
Don't overcrowd then, but don't give them to much room.
Cornish will literally lay down by the feed and put their head in it to eat, blocking other birds from eating. If you kill them late, their knees are giving out and weird, nasty shit is happens with their organs...
Link Posted: 6/20/2019 11:46:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Worst part of doing poultry is plucking.

Might as well go all the way and invest in one of these:

Chicken Plucker
Link Posted: 6/21/2019 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Yeah, all the usual suspects stopped selling spring chicks a few weeks ago.

There is a speciality poultry store about an hour from here but I really don’t feel like driving that far for chickens
View Quote
As far as the usual suspects go......

https://www.mcmurrayhatchery.com/jumbo_cornish_x_rocks.html
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 6:02:24 PM EDT
[#12]
This is the place where I got my chickens last time:  https://www.valleyfarmshatchery.com/online-store
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 7:15:06 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Chicken Plucker
View Quote
Built mine for about half that
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 12:44:23 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Built mine for about half that
View Quote
Details on plucker build?
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Details on plucker build?
View Quote
Pretty much followed the wizbang plucker plans but picked up most of the parts from TSC/Homedepot to save money.  The only thing that bit me in the butt was the bottom which you can't really fabricobble together out of junk from around the yard so had to buy that from them
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:12:27 PM EDT
[#16]
I'm waiting on 25 Freedom Rangers from Freedomrangerhatchery.com.  Should be here by the end of the week.  They are in Reinholds, PA.
Link Posted: 6/25/2019 7:14:21 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Chicken Plucker
View Quote
I have this plucker and it works great about 20 seconds per bird.
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 7:16:42 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:32:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/26/2019 10:01:26 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote
Assuming they already know how this story ends
Link Posted: 6/27/2019 4:58:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top