Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/24/2023 5:43:04 PM EDT
Wanting to buy a Yaesu FT-891. No one has them in stock here in the USA. Several on ebay from sellers in Japan. $620-$650 with free shipping.

Bad idea?

Thoughts?

Thanks
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 5:49:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Not a radio, but I did purchase iCom software from such a seller without incident.

Depending on the specific radio it is possible that you could encounter warranty issues, or possibly even face differences in the functionality of the radio equipment - so best to be aware of such possibilities before jumping in.

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:02:50 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure it is not a Japanese band radio. IOW, make sure it will transmit in the US portion of the ham bands.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 6:13:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure it is not a Japanese band radio. IOW, make sure it will transmit in the US portion of the ham bands.
View Quote

Yep. I have heard a few horror stories about Japanese radios. And a lot of them cannot be opened up to full TX like US radios.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 7:57:56 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

+1

I would wait and get one from a USA dealer like DXengineering or associated radio

ebay has a history of selling counterfeit yaesu and kenwood FAKES

Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:22:09 PM EDT
[#5]
If you were actually making a purchase in Japan...well maybe. Power output and band allocations are different in Japan, but the most important reason to buy in the USA is warranty.

If you buy a rig from Japan you will not have a warranty. You may be able to find someone to service your radio in in the US, but you will have to pay.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:22:33 PM EDT
[#6]
double tapp ... oops
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 8:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 9:18:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote

Not only that, it might “speak” only Japanese, i.e. Japanese labelling of buttons and anything in the display in Japanese. Most of electronic japan only models don’t have multiple language settings. That’s where they save money on.
Link Posted: 5/24/2023 10:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

Not only that, it might “speak” only Japanese, i.e. Japanese labelling of buttons and anything in the display in Japanese. Most of electronic japan only models don’t have multiple language settings. That’s where they save money on.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

My first impression of the 891 menu options was that it probably made a lot more sense in Japanese
Link Posted: 5/25/2023 7:59:21 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks guys. Fortunately DXengineering just changed their FT-891 page to show stock available June 1st.

All is good.
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:38:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks guys. Fortunately DXengineering just changed their FT-891 page to show stock available June 1st.

All is good.
View Quote

Now has changed to July 31st. Arrrrggggggggg!!!!!!
Link Posted: 5/26/2023 12:49:00 PM EDT
[#12]
QTH classifieds has a used one for sale

Link Posted: 6/1/2023 10:10:59 PM EDT
[#13]
My advice is buy one from DX/HRO/giga.

I bought a 705 from japan on ebay because they are cheap. I had to open it up 3-4 times and pull some diodes I didn't know if would fix my TX issues, but it's now open on all HF bands. Won't tune 2m/70cm which is why I am bummed since I wanted an all band radio. Oh well.

ETA - you'll still wanna mars mod it an open it up, or have HRO do it. Worth the money but not terribly difficult if you have good soldering skills and magnification.
Link Posted: 6/2/2023 8:45:10 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Friend of mine bought an FT-897D Japanese version.  So far, we haven't found a way to open it up to the US bands, or MARS/CAP it.  Seems they card coded the CPU for the Japanese market.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top