Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/17/2018 11:28:25 AM EDT
Found out yesterday that a piece of property we purchased a few years ago has some pretty nice sized standing butternut.

Evidently it's fairly valuable wood?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:41:55 AM EDT
[#1]
Indeed.  Some people refer to it as white walnut.  Beautiful wood.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:00:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Historically, the bark and nut rinds were once often used to dye cloth to colors between light yellow and dark brown. This was for homespun cloth, not commercially used.  It was the color worn by many Confederate soldiers.

And yes, the nuts are edible.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 6:32:36 PM EDT
[#3]
Very rare because of a disease that prevents many trees from reaching maturity.

IMHO, in the mind of conservation, I would do everything possible to save any of the living specimens. Dead ones? By all means, mill lumber out of them, it's highly prized.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 9:19:09 AM EDT
[#4]
You can buy a 12' butternut tree for under $10......not to take away from it's value, but like many hickory it's a mid priced domestic hardwood.....certainly no black walnut.
Link Posted: 11/19/2018 8:25:13 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/20/2018 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Update:

Had a timber guy out to look around.

We found a dozen or so Butternuts on my 6 acre parcel. He said they aren't super common, but not rare.

I found that they are listed under the state's endangered species list however.

It was nice getting educated on what we had for tree growth. We've got quite a variety of species.

Excited to get in there and start cleaning 40+ years of unkempt forest up. Planting a food plot, etc.
Link Posted: 11/30/2018 4:36:15 PM EDT
[#7]
supposed to be favored for woodcarving.  not too hard, holds nice tight details.
I have a couple trees I planted at least 30 years ago.   Two are decent sized, maybe 14-16" diameter now.  the other surviving one is maybe 3" diameter and 8' high.
they've only produced a couple nuts over all these years.  lately the catkins get knocked off with frost.  but the black walnuts are abundant.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top