Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/23/2021 9:06:43 AM EDT
Looking to see if anyone has tips or experience to share in storing preps longer term. We moved from a tiny house to a tinier apartment, but we’re back in a good sized house. I don’t have a single room to devote to storage and want to save space wherever possible.

Right now I’m focused on canned goods, paper products, that kind of thing.

Basically everything is stacked in a closet which is far from ideal and makes rotation annoying.

Convinced the wife that one of these is a good idea for our pantry behind the door, so that should free up some space.
Attachment Attached File

What are some other storage ideas or things you’ve done to save space?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:47:52 AM EDT
[#1]
Don't necissarily use the typical ROUND 5 gallon buckets to store things in.....use squared corner containers.

The round ones waste a lot of space between them.

Great place to grow spider webs, but could be used for something better.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 9:53:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Don't necissarily use the typical ROUND 5 gallon buckets to store things in.....use squared corner containers.

The round ones waste a lot of space between them.

Great place to grow spider webs, but could be used for something better.
View Quote

That’s a good idea I didn’t think of. I packed Mylar bags into the round buckets and then have the buckets lined up. It’s a ton of space wasted. Good source for square buckets?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 10:30:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Use bed risers to lift your bed 3, 5, or 8 inches, and then slide plastic storage tubs under it.  You can put bulky items like TP/PT or alternate between summer/winter weight bedding and clothing in the tubs.

I've found Iris brand totes tend to have the straightest sides and least amount of lost storage space due to the lid being wider than the tote.

Macy's and WalMart both sell a "shutter bin" which is stackable and shaped so you can get into the contents of the one on the bottom of the stack without moving everything from the top.  They're a bit pricey but you may like the convenience when rotating through your preps.  I wouldn't put large cans or cardboard boxes in them, but they would work for stuff that is bagged or that you vacuum-seal yourself.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:06:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Good source for square buckets?
View Quote
uline
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:11:44 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Use bed risers to lift your bed 3, 5, or 8 inches, and then slide plastic storage tubs under it.  You can put bulky items like TP/PT or alternate between summer/winter weight bedding and clothing in the tubs.

I've found Iris brand totes tend to have the straightest sides and least amount of lost storage space due to the lid being wider than the tote.

Macy's and WalMart both sell a "shutter bin" which is stackable and shaped so you can get into the contents of the one on the bottom of the stack without moving everything from the top.  They're a bit pricey but you may like the convenience when rotating through your preps.  I wouldn't put large cans or cardboard boxes in them, but they would work for stuff that is bagged or that you vacuum-seal yourself.
View Quote

Along the lines of lifted beds... just get "captain" beds - the kind with drawers build into the bed frame.  The drawers are great in themselves, but there is a lot of empty space under the bed behind the drawers, perfect for large item long term storage
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 5:41:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
uline
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good source for square buckets?
uline

Try your local bakery. Some get their frosting delivered in square tubs like that. Getting them there may have many advantages...

Price, (free)
They will be made of food grade plastic.
No shipping costs
The ones I have gotten were already given a quick wash out
Did I mention, free?
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 11:40:31 PM EDT
[#7]
saw a neat one...to hell with the box spring and under bed storage....just cases of #10 cans stacked 2 or 3 high with a bed skirt touching the ground matress placed on top. If you can pull it off in your room or a guest room. Thats a simple one.

Have also seen a wooden bed frame constructed around 50 caliber ammo cans stacked 2 high secured to the floor and wood segmented top attached with security screws. You could do that with buckets or cans as well. Looks pretty normal stained or painted to match have to get real nosy bordering on criminal to figure out whats underneath.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:43:10 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 4:55:58 PM EDT
[#9]

I like that idea but plexiglass is pricey. Maybe use 1x3or4 screwed into the other wood to catch the ends. That way you could still see the labels.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I like that idea but plexiglass is pricey. Maybe use 1x3or4 screwed into the other wood to catch the ends. That way you could still see the labels.
View Quote

This piece was $20. I pitched the 1-3 idea but the wife hated it. So really it cost an extra $10 over the wood but the wife agreeing to let it happen (and now likes it and wants another) seemed worth it
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 6:44:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View Quote

1/4" ply - and route a 1" wide vertical view port up the middle of each section.

Let's you see the labels as well as nudge the cans if they get stuck.
Link Posted: 1/31/2021 9:30:20 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

With the price of lumber at the moment, plexiglass might be cheaper!
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:02:39 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Along the lines of lifted beds... just get "captain" beds - the kind with drawers build into the bed frame.  The drawers are great in themselves, but there is a lot of empty space under the bed behind the drawers, perfect for large item long term storage
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.rockler.com/queen-bed-lift-with-platform-end-opening

On the topic of storage beds.  I bought this kit and a coupe sheets of plywood.  Made 2 long rectangular boxes that dropped into our existing bed frame.  That long center spine supported the center of the metal bed frame.  Painted the ply flat black and dropped them in.  Mounted the lift arm mechanisms to the plywood boxes.  Does not look any different than with the bed skirt, more storage, and less dust bunnies.

Plywood_Frame_Underneath
StorageBed_Closed
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 2:20:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
uline
View Quote

Sams Club Bakery. The icing comes is squarish buckets.

Just ask them to save them for you.
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 3:16:07 PM EDT
[#15]
If you have any friends with cats, a lot of the litters come in square buckets.  It's just clay so it washes out easily.  

Got a garage?  Elevated shelves are great for holding bulky stuff like paper products, boxes of winter clothes, blankets, etc. out of the way.  I've got stuff stored in some of the plastic footlockers that you can stack on each other.  I use them for clothing, bedding, etc.
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:17:11 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Try your local bakery. Some get their frosting delivered in square tubs like that. Getting them there may have many advantages...

Price, (free)
They will be made of food grade plastic.
No shipping costs
The ones I have gotten were already given a quick wash out
Did I mention, free?
View Quote

Tried our local Facebook page and found a baker that just chucks them. Grabbed 4 to start and hopefully got a hook up for more.

They save a ton of space. Going to try and redo all my storage in the pantry and shed
Link Posted: 2/4/2021 1:34:54 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That’s a good idea I didn’t think of. I packed Mylar bags into the round buckets and then have the buckets lined up. It’s a ton of space wasted. Good source for square buckets?
View Quote

find a friend with a cat that uses the kitty litter that comes in the square buckets. Had a neighbor that used it and I had more free buckets than I really needed.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:03:14 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

You or someone you know have cats?  Tidy cat litter comes in square buckets with good lids.
Link Posted: 2/15/2021 11:36:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Use them on fire engines to store cords and such. We snag them at the transfer stations.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top