Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2019 6:41:22 PM EDT
Anyone have proven suggestions for building a tower on soft ground?

I’m looking for a time efficient install.  Need a base that will resist rot and not sink into the abyss.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:38:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You might start by building a floating dock type base.
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 8:57:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 9:24:22 PM EDT
[#3]
im not sure what kind of equipment you have access to, but you could make mats out of railroad ties or green treated lumber screwed together? we have some that are 8" thick for the crane outriggers at work. something like this
Link Posted: 5/7/2019 11:54:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Could you use a few existing trees?  Not the ideal setup, but it would get you up outta the water
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 12:00:12 AM EDT
[#5]
How tall are you looking to build?  Are there existing trees?  What site are you looking to build on?  Standing water or just soupy mud?
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:25:26 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought telephone poles and cut them in half.  found them on craigslist for $35 each.

Drilled a hole with my tractor and auger, which immediately filled with water.  The muddy was like soup where I drilled the holes.

Set the posts and built a stand 16 feet in the air.

I had to go back with a load of sand and fill the holes to push the water out and get it to set up. It is now rock solid.
Link Posted: 5/8/2019 8:45:16 AM EDT
[#7]
I had some pretty swampy land that I hunted and I bought some bulk rack shelving at a going out of business sale. Two 42" wide up rights and six beams for about $75. I anchorored the uprights to trees so they would not be blown down and then took a plywood for a base with cross beams. I hung up camo and had a very nice blind that sat at 20' high. As far as I know it's still out there on the land I used to hunt.
Link Posted: 5/11/2019 7:41:09 AM EDT
[#8]
What kind of access do you have to your building site?

Can you get a pickup in there? Tractor with FEL? SxS?

10 years ago, I built a 7x8 in the swamp, on 8' legs. The door still opens and closes without binding.

The distance to the blind is 200 yards. I had to carry everything in by hand. Tools were either cordless or chansaw.

I used 4x4 legs. I made bases out of 15 inch car wheels with a short piece of 4x4 tube welded to the center to hold the leg.

I built the platform on the ground. With the help of my son, got it in the air and on the wheels. I then leveled it with a shovel. It's still level today.

The first 80 yards to the south of my blind is under water right now, flowing west to east.

Better access means better bases suchs as pads or poles.

I have posted pictures before, they can be found.

Let's See Those Hunting Shacks
For some ideas.
Link Posted: 5/12/2019 9:43:08 AM EDT
[#9]
Thanks for all the replies.

I have access with a tractor / truck thru the field.  The soft ground and swamp are about 20 yards in from the field edge.  Everything needs to be trailered by highway to the job site.

I have built towers before but always on dry ground.
My experience has been I end up spending more money on material and time than planned. I would like to try something pre-fab - maybe Redneck or Muddy like.
Link Posted: 5/31/2019 1:21:17 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for all the replies.

I have access with a tractor / truck thru the field.  The soft ground and swamp are about 20 yards in from the field edge.  Everything needs to be trailered by highway to the job site.

I have built towers before but always on dry ground.
My experience has been I end up spending more money on material and time than planned. I would like to try something pre-fab - maybe Redneck or Muddy like.
View Quote
As to the blind, definitely go with a Shadowhunter, Muddy, or Redneck.  They are expensive but they outlast the plywood boxes by a ton! No mice or insects or wood for porcupines to eat.  Wayyyyyyyy lighter too.  I have a Shadowhunter on stilts that was sinking a bit.  I ran a treated 2x6 from leg to leg on the outside at ground level.  It basically made a lot more contact/baring  area and the sinking stopped.  If you're in really swampy stuff consider putting a pallet under each stilt.
Link Posted: 6/5/2019 5:45:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Good advice on Shadowhunter, Muddy, or Redneck.
I agree.  I’ve built my own but materials and time don’t pay off.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top