Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/26/2020 9:20:58 PM EDT
To start off, this isn’t an IFAK, I have that and this will serve a different purpose.

This will be a small, lightweight, and portable first aid kit for General our doors activity. Ideally it will all fot in a tin, about the size of an alto is container.

So far I’m thinking:
Band aids
Probably a small gauze pad
Benadryl tablets (two, children’s)
Possibly a Benadryl cream
Possibly a aloe or burn cream.
Also considering an individual single use antibiotic ointment.

The purpose is to have something on hand and available when out and about in case we run into the common bumps, scrapes, bruises, bee stings etc of childhood.

Any suggestions are greatly welcomed, including positive/negative feedback.

Edit:
To be clear, this is geared towards kids. A lot of the minor scrapes and stings can be annoying and bothersome in the short term, but definitely manageable until we can get home and clean it up (assuming no allergies).
But with kids, having a band aid available can make a huge difference)
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 9:32:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Duct tape, for blisters.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:03:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe something for bug bites or repellent?
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:14:24 PM EDT
[#3]
Immodium, Diarrhea can ruin an outing.
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:23:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Mirror  & Qtips. Medical gloves.

Get something in eye, ya don't wanna go poking around with dirty fingers
Link Posted: 11/26/2020 10:41:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Nm.  I didn't read OP's post thoroughly.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:55:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Duct tape, for blisters.
View Quote

I was thinking about that. I’ll have to look for a small travel size, not a whole roll
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 2:56:09 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Maybe something for bug bites or repellent?
View Quote

Good idea. That was the idea behind the cream.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Mirror  & Qtips. Medical gloves.

Get something in eye, ya don't wanna go poking around with dirty fingers
View Quote

Yes, I was thinking gloves as well.

What’s the mirror for? Search and rescue/sos?
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 3:34:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I was thinking about that. I’ll have to look for a small travel size, not a whole roll
View Quote

Wrap some around an old hotel key or credit card. Takes up almost no room that way.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 6:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Probably a waste of space to add in burn cream and neosporin type products IMO.

I would add in a small swiss army knife that has tweezers and a nail file. Or just a set of tweezers.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 9:13:40 PM EDT
[#11]
SAM splint and a cravat would be on my list. You could still keep your kit pretty small.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:28:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Vet-tape
Can of disinfectant and antibiotic spray, like Dermoplast
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 10:59:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Looks good so far. I might add some moleskin if you can catch hot spots before thy run into blisters.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:16:21 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Duct Leuko tape, for blisters.
View Quote

For blisters, bandages, pressure bandages, sprains/strains support, butteryfly closures, etc.  It is the most versatile thing you can add to your kit.
Link Posted: 11/27/2020 11:53:39 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Get a small piece of PVC pipe, or an old hotel plastic access card and wrap the duct tape around it.  easy to carry and manage.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 12:08:41 AM EDT
[#16]
I've been carrying a first aid kit for years and years in my backpack and I don't think I've ever used it for myself but I have lots of times for other people.

Allergy pills, alcohol wipes, Benadryl, mole skin and band aids are what I've used mostly.

Besides what I already said, I keep a spare set of contacts, gauze, gloves, a quick clot gauze, tourniquet, pain meds, and a couple larger bandages.

I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking so I want to be set up for a compound fracture. At least to get it under control before getting higher medical attention.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 2:07:37 AM EDT
[#17]
Moleskin
Watch battery keychain flashlight
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 11:15:30 AM EDT
[#18]
So basically a boo-boo kit as some folks call them; it's all I usually carry in my day hiking bag.  A couple of Band-aids (the actual brand name that sticks, not store brands that promptly fall off), a single pack of triple antibiotic (wish I could find some with the pain reliever formula), a single Sting-eze ampule, a pair of Benadryl (diphenhydramine) tablets in a blister pack (can be broken in half for children's dose, can be crushed and added to a sip of water or chewed if needed for faster relief) and a pair of ibuprofen tablets in a blister back.  I also carry a spare bandana and a pocket knife.  Obviously this can be modified as warranted.

I've got far more extensive kits but for day hiking/mt biking in non-remote places I've never really felt the need to carry more.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 5:43:23 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I've been carrying a first aid kit for years and years in my backpack and I don't think I've ever used it for myself but I have lots of times for other people.

Allergy pills, alcohol wipes, Benadryl, mole skin and band aids are what I've used mostly.

Besides what I already said, I keep a spare set of contacts, gauze, gloves, a quick clot gauze, tourniquet, pain meds, and a couple larger bandages.

I do a lot of hiking and mountain biking so I want to be set up for a compound fracture. At least to get it under control before getting higher medical attention.
View Quote

What kind of allergy pills?

Thanks

@spearogun
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:06:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks

@spearogun
View Quote

Benadryl (diphenhydramine) will cover most allergies in most people but it does have the side effect of drowsiness and it can cause nausea in some people (25mg makes me nauseous, 50mg and I'm puking but I still carry it because it works).  I carry the tablets because I can break them in half (ped dosage is 12.5mg).  Gel capsules would be slightly faster acting option unless you crush the tablets (not recommending that).  Claritin, Zyrtec , etc. don't always work for everyone (ex. Claritin does almost nothing for me but Zyrtec works fine).  Diphenhydramine can also be used in dogs if they travel with you.*

Add an Epi pen if you or your family member is allergic to any of the bee, vespidae or other stinging insects.

*The Merck Veterinary Manual recommends administering 2-4mg of Benadryl per kilogram of body weight, two to three times a day. However, this dosage can vary depending on your dog’s existing medical conditions.  Obviously consult your vet first!
https://www.merckvetmanual.com/multimedia/table/v4695641
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 8:21:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Thanks

@spearogun
View Quote

Loratadine/Claritin.
I was on a hike a couple weeks ago in Joshua Tree National Park. My girl was having bad allergies from some plant or something. I gave her a Benadryl. That worked but made her tired. After that hike I put some Claritin in the first aid kit that goes in my backpack. Simple enough
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 3:28:41 AM EDT
[#22]
Space blankets for staving off shock. Sam splints and curlex or ace bandage.
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:27:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Leukotape
ibuprofen
acetaminophen
antacid tablets
Imodium tablets
a couple of square alcohol squares
Neosporin packet[s]
sunscreen
chapstisck

Link Posted: 11/30/2020 8:29:10 AM EDT
[#24]
superglue
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 1:07:26 AM EDT
[#25]
Tweezers for cactus needles or slivers
Link Posted: 12/12/2020 6:06:15 PM EDT
[#26]
Scalpel blade/x-acto blade/needle
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 6:50:30 PM EDT
[#27]
A gauze roll can do anything that a bandaid or pad can do, and more. A lot of the cheaper rolls are thin enough to probably be compressed into a tin.

Not all injuries occur during the day. One of those squeeze keychain lights is small and can be actuated with your teeth if need be.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 9:29:44 PM EDT
[#28]
Asprin.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 7:10:46 AM EDT
[#29]
Last time I fell on the bike and got a good cut on my knee, I tried a gauze pad with tape to finish the ride.  Problem was the tape initially seemed to hold (probably because I used an alcohol pad to clean it up), but once I started riding again the tape wouldn't stick to my sweaty skin (and I'm sure trying to attach it to my knee with all the stretching and motion of riding a bike helped nothing). Every branch in the woods seemed to find my knee that day, and it was brutal.

Is there something for that...to adhere even with all the sweat?  I was thinking maybe the good stretchy Band-aids might work (didn't have the good ones in that kit, and the generics wouldn't survive the initial stick).
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 8:54:15 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Last time I fell on the bike and got a good cut on my knee, I tried a gauze pad with tape to finish the ride.  Problem was the tape initially seemed to hold (probably because I used an alcohol pad to clean it up), but once I started riding again the tape wouldn't stick to my sweaty skin (and I'm sure trying to attach it to my knee with all the stretching and motion of riding a bike helped nothing). Every branch in the woods seemed to find my knee that day, and it was brutal.

Is there something for that...to adhere even with all the sweat?  I was thinking maybe the good stretchy Band-aids might work (didn't have the good ones in that kit, and the generics wouldn't survive the initial stick).
View Quote

3M Coban.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 10:05:47 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View Quote

You could use a self-adhesive bandage like they use on your arm after giving blood to hold the gauze in place.
Also, a tube of oral analgesic gel may be a good idea. It may sound silly, but it can even be used to help numb the area while getting a bad splinter out and things like that. It would probably help in situations like that with kids more than anything, but it does work. It helps numb a toe while trying to dig out an ingrown toe nail too...
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 11:13:00 AM EDT
[#32]
I think a lot of people are forgetting this part:

"To start off, this isn’t an IFAK, I have that and this will serve a different purpose.

This will be a small, lightweight, and portable first aid kit for General our doors activity. Ideally it will all fot in a tin, about the size of an alto is container."
View Quote

and this:

"Edit:
To be clear, this is geared towards kids. A lot of the minor scrapes and stings can be annoying and bothersome in the short term, but definitely manageable until we can get home and clean it up (assuming no allergies).
But with kids, having a band aid available can make a huge difference)"
View Quote

He's talking about a "boo boo kit" as some folks call them, he says in the first sentence that he has a 1st aid kit already.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 12:32:24 PM EDT
[#33]
Wrap the tape around your sharpie.
Link Posted: 12/18/2020 6:19:48 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think a lot of people are forgetting this part:

and this:

He's talking about a "boo boo kit" as some folks call them, he says in the first sentence that he has a 1st aid kit already.
View Quote

Guilty as charged.
Link Posted: 12/21/2020 1:39:05 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:

View Quote

I rarely get blisters anymore, but I've had a folded sock, small rock I was too lazy to remove, or my feet got wet and soft and became "hot spots".  For prevention of blisters I've found KT or Leuko tape far better than duct tape.  Buy a 2" role and you can cut to fit inside your booboo kit.  

A flat Fresnel lens/magnifier
Sliver-Gripper tweezers
Mini scissors (Swiss Army a good and back up tweezers are okay)
Anti-itch pads for bug bits/stings

As for Band-Aids, I really like knuckle bandages as they are pretty versatile on various body parts.  I would also upgrade to include the water-proof bandages.  Kids sweat like whores in church and love playing in the water and rolling around in the dirt.  The waterproof bandages hold up much better than the cheaper plastic strip bandages.  

I think the rest is fine for a kid's booboo kit.  

ROCK6

Link Posted: 1/1/2021 2:14:44 PM EDT
[#36]
I second the recommendations for a pair of tweezers and small swiss army knife (if you don't already have one). Really, the only tools in the knife I'd need are the blade, and the scissors. You need some way to cut things.

Another item that is tiny and light weight I recommend is the "tick twister". This is a small, green plastic tool that is a miniature version of the end of a claw hammer that you use to pull nails out. Except you use this to work your way under the body of a tick and pull the insect out. I can tell you they work, and once I discovered them, I got one for me and my brothers to keep in the glove box of their car. I have probably removed 4 ticks already with mine, since they are a thing in my area and we are outdoors a lot. I added a tiny zip lock bag (from AR springs) to each tick-tool kit in case they wanted to save the tick to have it checked.

They are really small tools (like the size of a large paper clip) and will fit in any kit, but will definitely make tick removal easy. I just checked amazon. They run about $5, but they have a 9 pack for $21, which is a great deal.

ETA: amazon link to the one I used.
https://www.amazon.com/Tick-Twister-Remover-Small-Large/dp/B00ZI31CGA
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 7:57:23 PM EDT
[#37]
I have a "mini kit".
Two of them actually; identical.
One for my overnight bag and one for my day pack.

Pelican 1010 Micro Case containing mini first aid kit:
1) Small tube of Neosporin; 0.5oz
2) Band Aids
3) Pill vial w/Tylenol and Ibuprofen
4) Q-Tips
5) One single edge razor blade
6) Two ammonia inhalants
7) Two safety pins
Link Posted: 2/8/2021 8:21:33 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote

Strength Tape (brand name.) For even better adhesion, paint the area around the injury with benzoin tincture, let it dry a few minutes, and apply the tape to it. Even in the shower the tape won’t come off.
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 6:29:46 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

Strength Tape (brand name.) For even better adhesion, paint the area around the injury with benzoin tincture, let it dry a few minutes, and apply the tape to it. Even in the shower the tape won’t come off.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Leukotape seems to stick to anything once it has some time to adhere to the skin
Link Posted: 2/11/2021 8:42:52 PM EDT
[#40]
My problem with Leukotape is that it peels up from my socks when I use it to cover a blister or apply it to prevent blisters. Strength tape and benzoin tincture can be walked on for 2-3 days before a corner (rounded off) will start to lift.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:17:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Coban, bandaids, superglue.
ASA, Benadryl, Immodium, and ibuprofen. If you can get it zofran.
Other than the coban most will fit in a small container
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
I have a "mini kit".
Two of them actually; identical.
One for my overnight bag and one for my day pack.

Pelican 1010 Micro Case containing mini first aid kit:
1) Small tube of Neosporin; 0.5oz
2) Band Aids
3) Pill vial w/Tylenol and Ibuprofen
4) Q-Tips
5) One single edge razor blade
6) Two ammonia inhalants
7) Two safety pins
View Quote

Save weight and space, put that stuff in a Ziploc.  I love Ziploc freezer bags for all sorts of stuff.
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:35:56 PM EDT
[#43]
@AesopsWildBoar

Have kids, I've been carrying this basic kit in a 2x3" ziplock for years.

it goes in a pocket, cheap to replace if you lose or wash it. Gets used all the time.
most of the stuff listed above requires an external bag, or backpack. Which is great, I keep a car kit, backpack kit, etc. pocket knife edc type stuff, but this is the one that I have on me more often than not and gets used. Just refill when you are home next.

pro tip, gorilla or Med tape the bag edges to make it last longer.

2 x alcohol pads
1 x mini neosporin packet w/pain relief (saves the most days)
2 x kids chewable acetaminophen in the individual blister pack (ibp is usually harder to find in the blister, I feel that works better & longer but haven't seen it in a while)
2 x kids chewable benadryl (= 1 adult tab)
2 x aspirin
2 x Motrin (adults Aka moms)
1 x 2"x2" gauze pad
1 x 2"x2" non-adherent dressing
1 x 2gram celox powder(said to work with ppl on blood thinners so I carry it for the grandparents mostly)
~24" of 1" 3m duropore tape, flat folded on itself to fit in the baggie
~5 kid logo'd bandaids of misc size and type
2 x 3m waterproof bandaids
2 lactose digestion tabs (one of mine doesn't digest dairy too well so if he is eating a bunch of ice cream I'll give him one)

past that it's probably improvised t shirt dressings and rag& stick TQ, but you are pretty capable with the above for minor stuff. So good luck! Hope that helps a bit!

Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:13:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

I was thinking about that. I'll have to look for a small travel size, not a whole roll
View Quote
Wrap some around a sharpie.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 1:15:41 PM EDT
[#45]
I call that a boo boo kit.

Dermabond

4 OTC meds
Tylenol
Ibuprofen
Immodium
Benadryl.
Add
Real Sudophederine if you can get it.

Tylenol and Ibuprofen can be taken together for severe pain.
Benadryl is a sleep agent as well as an allery med.
Link Posted: 8/5/2021 7:36:40 PM EDT
[#46]
Travel sized bottle of contact solution.  It works as for washing debris out of eyes and wounds.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 8:44:46 AM EDT
[#47]
If you go with your wife/girlfriend/concubine, throw a tampon in.

Working first aid at football stadiums, it's amazing how often you'd be asked for those.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 9:23:23 AM EDT
[#48]
Spenco 2nd skin blister pads work better than duct tape.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:37:58 PM EDT
[#49]
Related to the tweezers- "A good magnifying glass".  It really helps getting the tiny splinters and slivers out.
Link Posted: 8/9/2021 2:38:31 PM EDT
[#50]
Cold pack.

If you live in jumping cactus territory, a comb to remove the cactus without touching the thing, and then long nosed pliers to remove any remaining spines.  I keep this in the glove box of my ATV because shit actually did happen.

Steri-strips

Telfa pads and med tape.  (gauze pads stick to things and generally suck, Telfa type is mo betta, buy big ones and use cutters to make the appropriate size)

Chapstik

Salonpas pain relief patches

Refresh Tears eye drops

Bactine cleans wounds and also has pain relief, does not sting (better for kiddos)

Neosporin

Ace bandage

Q-tip applicators

(I am also putting together an ouchie kit right now)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top