Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/29/2018 4:03:59 PM EDT
Looking to do a budget hunt in 2019 or 2020. Looking to keep the bill under $4,000.  I live in the Detroit area and want to try something other than whitetails.
Some thoughts I had:
Sika deer in Maryland
Ontario black bear
Quebec moose.

Anyone got any other advice or ideas.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 6:41:57 PM EDT
[#1]
Guided or DIY?

You can do quite a few good hunts for $4k if you are doing DIY. Guided for under $4k, you could probably do antelope in any of the western states, black bear in the lower 48 or Canada, hog hunts in multiple areas or predator hunts in multiple areas.
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 7:01:58 PM EDT
[#2]
In AK you could do an unguided moose or caribou hunt...If going by yourself or one other, I would do a caribou hunt..good chances of success to, moose is tougher, but with 4 guys much easier then with 1 or 2...

In fact the draw hunt entries are going on now..

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/web/nocache/license/huntlicense/pdfs/2019-2020_draw_supplement.pdf0ADEB550AA4ECA639939D3834B7A6FCD/2019-2020_draw_supplement.pdf

if it were me, I would get a couple guys to also put in for one of these unit 13 moose draws...my choice would be dm335 thru 339..I would put in for dm 338 or 337 because so little people put in for them..looks like less then 150 people isn each unit  put in for 25 permits in each unit, thats pretty good odds... You could drive up, bring all your own gear, camp in pull outs and be stuck walking, but your chances would be decent...
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 4:39:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:
In AK you could do an unguided moose or caribou hunt...If going by yourself or one other, I would do a caribou hunt..good chances of success to, moose is tougher, but with 4 guys much easier then with 1 or 2...

http://www.adfg.alaska.gov/static/applications/web/nocache/license/huntlicense/pdfs/2019-2020_draw_supplement.pdf0ADEB550AA4ECA639939D3834B7A6FCD/2019-2020_draw_supplement.pdf

if it were me, I would get a couple guys to also put in for one of these unit 13 moose draws...my choice would be dm335 thru 339..I would put in for dm 338 or 337 because so little people put in for them..looks like less then 150 people isn each unit  put in for 25 permits in each unit, thats pretty good odds... You could drive up, bring all your own gear, camp in pull outs and be stuck walking, but your chances would be decent...
View Quote
Probably gonna go alone or maybe with a buddy.  Was thinking of a guide service.
Link Posted: 12/2/2018 5:55:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Probably gonna go alone or maybe with a buddy.  Was thinking of a guide service.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By 20229mm:
Originally Posted By AKSnowRider:

Your $4k limit is probably going to rule out most guided Alaskan hunts. You may be able to find a Sitka black tail hunt or possibly a black bear hunt at that price point. If you're counting travel expenses into your $4k limit Alaskan guided hunts will probably be out.
Link Posted: 12/3/2018 12:42:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By sp3worker:

Your $4k limit is probably going to rule out most guided Alaskan hunts. You may be able to find a Sitka black tail hunt or possibly a black bear hunt at that price point. If you're counting travel expenses into your $4k limit Alaskan guided hunts will probably be out.
View Quote
I am not interested in Alaska right now.  Someday, but not now. Thinking east of the Mississippi River.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top