Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2021 4:00:21 AM EDT
I'm looking at buying a Browning BAR mark 3 Hells Canyon in 30-06. I'd like to hear if you guys have any input on the accuracy, reliability and ease of maintenance on these things. I'm having a hard time coming up with much. The aluminum receiver makes me wonder about the long term durability as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2021 4:08:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Originally Posted By MagnusM4:
I'm looking at buying a Browning BAR mark 3 Hells Canyon in 30-06. I'd like to hear if you guys have any input on the accuracy, reliability and ease of maintenance on these things. I'm having a hard time coming up with much. The aluminum receiver makes me wonder about the long term durability as well.
View Quote
I have two. My 06 is a sweet piece. It's more accurate than I can ever be, I've put three rounds in a five inch circle at 100 as fast as I could pull the trigger.

From my standpoint, you won't be disappointed. I'm not.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:12:15 AM EDT
[#2]
I was looking at a BAR for next year's deer season. I wish they made one with a detachable magazine and shorter barrel in .30-06.

Something like their 308 model, but in 30-06. https://www.browning.com/products/firearms/rifles/bar/current/bar-mk-3-dbm-wood.html

I was compilating getting the MKIII and have the barrel cut down to 18-20". But I wasn't sure how much accuracy and/or velocity I'd lose by cutting down the barrel a few inches.  
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:36:11 AM EDT
[#3]
I just got the the 308 DBM wood, It's the same firearm as the FNAR without the pistol grip stock. The FNAR manual is better because it include more detail "Field stripping" instructions. Even Browning CS doesn't have much info on them. They are sending me a new sling screw assembly because I broke it trying to take it a part for cleaning. It needs to be removed to take off the fore stock. If you can locate them, the FNAR 20 mags will work. I'm taking it out this year for deer season.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 10:46:47 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By BuckMan123:
I just got the the 308 DBM wood, It's the same firearm as the FNAR without the pistol grip stock. The FNAR manual is better because it include more detail "Field stripping" instructions. Even Browning CS doesn't have much info on them. They are sending me a new sling screw assembly because I broke it trying to take it a part for cleaning. It needs to be removed to take off the fore stock. If you can locate them, the FNAR 20 mags will work. I'm taking it out this year for deer season.
View Quote

It's a sweet gun, I just wish they offered it in .30-06. Hence the thought of cutting down the barrel on the MKIII... I just can't find anything on how much velocity I'd lose.
Link Posted: 11/17/2021 11:48:46 AM EDT
[#5]
I picked up a BAR in 300 WSM a few years ago on a trade,  it shot about 1.5 MOA at 100yrds with factory ammo.  Fit and finish was really nice and it never had an issue cycling.  having said that I only put about 30 rounds down range but no issues.  I ended up trading it, the semi auto for deer hunting just wasn't my thing.  pretty solid rifle IMO tho
Link Posted: 11/19/2021 5:08:28 AM EDT
[#6]
I went to a local Scheels and they told me Browning is so backordered on the BAR Hells Canyon that they can only guarantee that I'll have it by 2023

They did have the BAR dbm which did seem like a sweet rifle for a slightly different purpose than I'm looking for.
Link Posted: 10/4/2022 7:42:47 PM EDT
[#7]
I finally got myself a new BAR MK3 30-06.

I had $500 in Cabelas gift cards to put towards the purchase. However, all Cabelas and BP in the country didn't have one in stock according to the national call center personnel. I was told they're on a two year backorder from Browning. So much for using the gift cards.

I tried several other large gun dealers and they said pretty much the same thing.

I finally found a new one on GunBroker that didn't include a credit card fee for purchase.

I put the gift cards to use on a Leupold 3-10x40 scope.

Hoping to get the scope mounted and sighted in this weekend.

Link Posted: 10/4/2022 10:14:19 PM EDT
[#8]
I owned a MK3 Stalker in 300WM for some years. Aluminum receiver, plastic stock. With my handloads it was easily as accurate as any bolt gun I have ever owned. It was, frankly, an unfair advantage on an elk hunt. It functioned in some horrible weather, but....on loading a cartridge from the mag, like at the start of your hunt, A pine needle could stop the bolt from fully closing. The hammer would fall, but the "out of battery?" safety would not let it hit the primer. On that 1st round, give it a little bump home, just to be sure.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top