Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/8/2021 1:00:36 PM EDT
I keep up with several recreational marine content creators.

Two of these boats (a multi-outboard sport cabin cruiser and a blue water sailboat) have had issues with their bow thruster.

I noticed neither boat (an Axopar and an Amel) have the thruster gear contained in a chest. In the case of the Axopar, the thruster had what would be considered a catastrophic leak that could have easily sunk the boat if not addressed quickly. The Amel has a retractable style bow thruster, which results in issues with the seals leaking, and maintenance on that assembly.

My questions, since I have little experience with saltwater boats:

Is a bow thruster ever "worth it"? Maybe on a large single engine boat? Seems like more stuff to leak (potentially catastrophicly), maintain, and clean. Is there any need on a multi-engine boat? My understanding is you can "walk" a multi-engine inboard boat. For example, P engine forward, S engine rev, wheel port to walk it to starboard. My understanding is that the joystick controls for multi-outboard setups operate similar to this, albeit with independent steering on each engine. Any thoughts on whether the outboard joystick systems will eliminate thrusters on that category of boat?

Why aren't flanking rudders used on 50ish' saltwater recreational boats? Are bow and stern thrusters seen as easier to maintain and operate? I would assume the side thrust available from flanking rudders would far exceed what a thruster can provide. I am thinking mostly of displacement and semi displacement boats here, I realize many sport yachts employ Arneson style drives and that's a whole other story in terms of maneuverability. Thinking strictly "fixed" propeller.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:04:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Go to thehulltruth.com.
Youll get a hundred qualified answers there.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 1:44:20 PM EDT
[#2]
No experience with sailboats or single engine power boats, but on 20' to 70' twin engine boats they are nice to have but not necessary. If you're in a tricky situation with a cross wind or a bad current they help lower your stress, but I'd call them a luxury.

If installed correctly and glassed in they shouldn't leak, but I've seen one bow thruster prop unexpectedly disassemble itself, and another have the battery die. Both situations only caused momentary issues.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:03:08 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By IslandTimes:
No experience with sailboats or single engine power boats, but on 20' to 70' twin engine boats they are nice to have but not necessary. If you're in a tricky situation with a cross wind or a bad current they help lower your stress, but I'd call them a luxury.

If installed correctly and glassed in they shouldn't leak, but I've seen one bow thruster prop unexpectedly disassemble itself, and another have the battery die. Both situations only caused momentary issues.
View Quote

Agree w/ this.

I used BTs on a 36' sailboat and was worth the money for maneuverability. If you have a large enough boat and single engine they become more important.
Link Posted: 4/8/2021 2:42:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: onthebreeze] [#4]
Originally Posted By networkguru:
Go to thehulltruth.com.
Youll get a hundred qualified answers there.
View Quote
I have gone through a few threads over there. Interesting place.

Originally Posted By IslandTimes:

View Quote

Originally Posted By TxAthlete42:

Agree w/ this.

I used BTs on a 36' sailboat and was worth the money for maneuverability. If you have a large enough boat and single engine they become more important.
View Quote

Thanks guys, good info. I have a decent amount of experience running sterndrive and outboard boats, and fortunately my equipment operating experience has given me the "feel" to hop in about any freshwater boat and run it. But 0 saltwater experience other than a little inshore. I have never wanted for more maneuverability in an outboard or I/O, but I don't deal with currents.

It is interesting to me that some little freshwater inboards have flanking rudders now, but they are virtually unheard of on inboard saltwater recreational boats. Check out Mastercraft's "Dockstar" system. It's basically a mini towboat flanking rudder system slapped onto a wake boat.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top