Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/30/2019 7:05:16 PM EDT
Recently, I’ve started to get my act together with emergency preparation.  I have guns, reloading stuff, a 4x4 truck, etc., but haven’t really been equipping my family for the realistic possibility of a power outage or something else like it.

Anyway, we started the food and water part a couple months ago an I’ve finally gotten my wife to buy into it.  But power was a problem.

So I bought a Generac 10K generator yesterday.  I plan to buy the propane conversion eventually, but I wanted something I wouldn’t outgrow immediately and that my wife could easily operate.  Next step is to wire up a transfer switch.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 7:44:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Congrats. We've had one for over 20 years (not always the same one). It has definitely come in handy on more than a few occasions. Actually we got a second little 2k last year (easier on the gas) just in case.

Be sure to break it in before you need it.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 9:03:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Make sure you run it under load every couple months
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 9:31:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Good advice.  Thanks, guys.
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 9:41:59 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 11/30/2019 11:12:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Make sure you use ethanol free gas - Rec-90, or whatever it's called in your area. It is expensive, near premium price, but it won't rot your fuel lines.

I just sold my old one (6.5k) and got a bigger one (12k). The old one was used for about 5 days straight due to a small hurricane. After the storm, I changed the oil and ran it completely out of gas. I stored it in a back room for 2 years. When I got it ready for sale, I simply put a gallon of Rec-90 in it and it started on the first pull. I used my transfer switch to test it out for about 15 minutes under load - perfect.

The new one is a dual fuel model and I have only ran it on the propane so far.
View Quote
I heard the ethanol thing, but not Rec-90.  I’ll have to take a look.  I haven’t even used, yet, it except for starting it to make sure that it would run.

Transfer switch is next on the list.
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 6:29:49 PM EDT
[#6]
You better think about how you're going to fuel it.  10k generators use a good bit of gas and/or propane.  How many days worth of fuel do you want to keep on hand?
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
You better think about how you're going to fuel it.  10k generators use a good bit of gas and/or propane.  
View Quote
^^^ this.

ETA
it's a 8KW rated generator, with 10KW surge capacity.  
http://www.generac.com/all-products/generators/portable-generators/gp-series/gp8000e-cosense
and
http://www.generac.com/generaccorporate/media/library/content/all-products/portable-recreational-power/gp%20series/8000e/g0076751-gp8000e-49st-spec-sheet.pdf

"Large-capacity steel fuel tank with incorporated fuel gauge provides durability and up to an 11 hour run-time at 50% load."

"Fuel Tank Capacity gal (L)  7.9 (29.9)"

hence 8 gallons of gasoline runs the generator for about 11 hours at 50% load.

ar-jedi
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/1/2019 11:32:44 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I've slowly come to the conclusion that I need two gensets for my cabin. I have a dual fuel 7500/9500 surge Westinghouse that will run everything in the place, pump/heat water. But having something small for just the fridge and lights that doesn't burn much fuel when all of those other things aren't needed would be a plus.
I really only need to pump and heat water for a shower once a day.It's pretty much overkill the rest of the time.  Have a wood stove for heat so I wouldn't need to run the mini split.
View Quote
perhaps small solar setup for the latter?
you need a couple of batteries, an MPPT charge controller, an inverter, and the panels.

ETA, i came to the same conclusion as you did above, btw, details here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Sandy-12-days-without-power-what-worked-what-didn-t-/17-661411/
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 1:14:06 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

perhaps small solar setup for the latter?
you need a couple of batteries, an MPPT charge controller, an inverter, and the panels.

ETA, i came to the same conclusion as you did above, btw, details here:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/Sandy-12-days-without-power-what-worked-what-didn-t-/17-661411/
View Quote
I just read your initial post re: Sandy.  It makes me even more serious about a layered approach to being generally prepared.  I live in Tennessee so hurricanes aren’t a threat, but if we lost power for a few days or weeks things could get interesting with Nashville close by.
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:33:48 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/2/2019 10:57:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 12:00:22 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I ran a 9k Champion for 6 weeks during construction. I wish I had a link to that thread, as I logged fuel usage and other notes.

Hope you have a lot of fuel storage ready to go, that big of a generator is THIRSTY. I actually rigged up my 120v 3500 watt to run the small loads when we didn't need the big one (all electric house). In all honestly, if you have a big/small combo, you will run the small generator 87% of the time, but when you have the big loads you fire up the big generator. Doing that saves a LOT of fuel.

Have plenty of spare oil (they need frequent changes), extra plugs, and starter rope for when the starter rope breaks (ask me how I know...).
View Quote
All good information.

I appreciate this feedback, guys.  I’ll keep an eye out for a smaller one for most things.

Do you still hook it up to the transfer switch?  
(NOTE: I haven’t installed this, yet)
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 12:25:48 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:38:16 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
All good information.
I appreciate this feedback, guys.  I’ll keep an eye out for a smaller one for most things.
Do you still hook it up to the transfer switch?  
(NOTE: I haven’t installed this, yet)
View Quote
http://losdos.dyndns.org/wiki/reference:generator_oracle
Link Posted: 12/3/2019 7:53:22 AM EDT
[#16]
Toss a smart trickle charger on the battery and check the electrolyte levels monthly. Smart trickle chargers are cheap and when you need to use something that gets occasional use, you know the battery will be good.

EVERYTHING that has a battery in it at home has a smart trickle charger on it when it sits. It's why I don't buy batteries all the time. Going on 7 years on my Mower which is pretty damn good, I used to get MAYBE 2 years out of them due to off year sitting.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:35:51 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I ran a 9k Champion for 6 weeks during construction. I wish I had a link to that thread, as I logged fuel usage and other notes.

Hope you have a lot of fuel storage ready to go, that big of a generator is THIRSTY. I actually rigged up my 120v 3500 watt to run the small loads when we didn't need the big one (all electric house). In all honestly, if you have a big/small combo, you will run the small generator 87% of the time, but when you have the big loads you fire up the big generator. Doing that saves a LOT of fuel.

Have plenty of spare oil (they need frequent changes), extra plugs, and starter rope for when the starter rope breaks (ask me how I know...).
View Quote
I believe this is the thread you are seeking

https://www.ar15.com/forums/outdoors/COMPLETE-Planned-7-day-power-outage-Power-back-on-after-29-days-sort-of-/17-690222/  from  8/31/2017
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:44:22 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I've slowly come to the conclusion that I need two gensets for my cabin. I have a dual fuel 7500/9500 surge Westinghouse that will run everything in the place, pump/heat water. But having something small for just the fridge and lights that doesn't burn much fuel when all of those other things aren't needed would be a plus.

I really only need to pump and heat water for a shower once a day.It's pretty much overkill the rest of the time.  Have a wood stove for heat so I wouldn't need to run the mini split.
View Quote
Same here.  I've got a 7.5 kw diesel and a 5 kw gas, and would like to add a 1-2 kw inverter gen for electronics and whatnot.  Can mix and match what's running depending on the circumstances, and it also adds some degree of redundancy should one go belly up.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:18:50 AM EDT
[#19]
Having two generators, one bigger, one smaller is solid advice.  I run my 3K most of the time and it sips gas.  It ran at 25~50% load just powering the basics, well pump intermittently for about 12 hours on less than 2.5 gallons of gas.  I have a bigger/ older 5K and only use it when I need more power, or our hot water heater because it sucks so much gas and is really loud.  Two is one, one is none.  I also have a small 900W harbor freight two stroke for when I only need to power one thing at a time.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 10:25:40 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Having two generators, one bigger, one smaller is solid advice.  I run my 3K most of the time and it sips gas.  It ran at 25~50% load just powering the basics, well pump intermittently for about 12 hours on less than 2.5 gallons of gas.  I have a bigger/ older 5K and only use it when I need more power, or our hot water heater because it sucks so much gas and is really loud.  Two is one, one is none.  I also have a small 900W harbor freight two stroke for when I only need to power one thing at a time.
View Quote
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 4:18:38 PM EDT
[#21]
use a permanent marker, and put the spark plug's number on the shroud, and if you need a special spark plug wrench or oil change wrench, cable tie it to the handle, along with a spare spark plug... so you don't have to look for it under less than ideal conditions, get filter and oil change now before you need it (I use synthetic Mobil 1) (lesson learned from Irma)
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 9:14:40 AM EDT
[#22]
i never leave fuel in generator always run it dry after testing .  old fuel gums up carburetor and then generator will not start when you need it.  keep oil changed as per the manual and it will last you a long time. my first generator was purchased in 1988 i never kept fuel in it, always ran it dry , it never failed to start ever, i gave it to a friend that needed a generator after 30 years. still running just fine and making full rated output.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 11:17:22 AM EDT
[#23]
I can run all the important stuff in my house on a 2000 watt generator. I have a 5700 watt (running) diesel generator that can run everything in my house including my well pump. Only thing I can’t run is my heat pump. I also have a propane furnace and a wood stove. The smaller generator feeds a 4 circuit 120 volt transfer switch and the big generator feeds a 200 amp whole house transfer switch. The small generator has been converted to run on propane.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 12:30:33 PM EDT
[#24]
I've been looking at getting a generator as well for the possibility of things going out, especially in the winter.

All of my heat requires some sort of power to do something.  My pellet stove has fans and augers, and my boiler has an electric fuel pump and exhaust fan.

My biggest problem was that I didn't think I really had enough of a use for a generator in a typical year to justify keeping it running.  If I were to buy a generator in a box, never run it, and left it in the box, how long would it stay good?  Could I get away with buying just a cheap HF 2 or 3k generator, leave it in the box, and only unbox and run it up when I need it?  Do you think it would last a few years?

In the summer I'd only need enough for the microwave and frig.  Then in the winter, I'd need enough for the microwave and pellet stove.
Link Posted: 2/4/2020 1:17:06 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I've been looking at getting a generator as well for the possibility of things going out, especially in the winter.

All of my heat requires some sort of power to do something.  My pellet stove has fans and augers, and my boiler has an electric fuel pump and exhaust fan.

My biggest problem was that I didn't think I really had enough of a use for a generator in a typical year to justify keeping it running.  If I were to buy a generator in a box, never run it, and left it in the box, how long would it stay good?  Could I get away with buying just a cheap HF 2 or 3k generator, leave it in the box, and only unbox and run it up when I need it?  Do you think it would last a few years?

In the summer I'd only need enough for the microwave and frig.  Then in the winter, I'd need enough for the microwave and pellet stove.
View Quote
I suspect you need about 3000-3500 watts.

Best way to go for a generator that is not used often is propane. I’d be looking for an inverter generator in the 3000-3500 range. Either buy one that runs on propane (Champion) or convert it to propane (Champion or HF). US Carburetion makes their good Motor snorkel conversion kit so you can run on either propane or gasoline. Then, buy a few 40lb propane bottles to store. You’ll have an extra fuel source if needed and plenty of fuel to run your generator. Each 40lb tank holds about 9 gallons of propane.
Link Posted: 2/9/2020 8:28:09 AM EDT
[#26]
i have had a bunch of generators from 800 watt to 25 kw , they last forever if you take care of them.  change oil and filter and never leave gas in them, one friend of mine in florida runs a pint of mineral spirits through his genset after running it dry, this cleans all the gasoline from the carb and the min spirits wont leave any residue when it evaporates.  so store your generator dry.  i test twice a year spring and fall,  run up and attach to house and run the house for about 1/2 hour or until gas runs out.  change oil once a year, i gave one to a friend when i moved it had run for 30 years.  never had trouble starting it and made full power.

i think of power as a system, generator first but they are thirsty.  most expensive power you will buy.  once you have your large generator and transfer switch done you are ready for short term outages. next you need a intermediate solution, smaller generator to run some lights and maybe the refrigerator and freezer and use a lot less gas, 1000 to 2000 watts.  then you are ready for a more intermediate outage.  next inverter battery system for long term power needs,  i keep 4 deep cycle batteries 2 100 watt solar panels and a 2000 watt inverter for this scenario.  batteries stay on an automatic charger so they are always fully charged,  can plug inverter into transfer panel.  will not run well pump but will handle lights and furnace,  a 12 volt rv on demand pump keeps my water system pressurized, i run the pump every couple of days fill a 200 gal container when i run the large generator, the rv pump runs off battery and will maintain 50 psi in the water system so i have running water to wash and flush. batteries can be charged from either generator or solar so i save on fuel for longer term needs,

if you have the battery inverter set up you can get buy for a short outage just on battery power alone, and not even start a generator,  your batteries can run a furnace or sump pump for a couple hours most times the power is back on before my batteries are depleted. so i dont have to fuel and run the generator dry every time.  if it goes longer i can run the large generator and charge the batteries while i run the rest of the house.

i built this system over a decade as i identified my needs and planned it out as time and finances allowed.  look for a sale on items you need, solar panels, batteries, generators inverters.  my batteries last about 8-10 years so you will need to replace them over time.

if you have heat, light and running water your house remains livable and your wife will love you.  you can bug in and be comfortable in your home,  you can build your power system as time and finances allow and it is scalable get as many batteries as you need solar panels as you need water storage as you need, get your 12 volt rv on demand pump as you can afford 3 gal per minute gives you a decent shower and flush.  once you have this  "infrastructure" complete you will find you are much better able to weather the storm no matter what kind of storm it is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2020 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#27]
You can find the Baptist (non-alcohol) gasoline here.  
https://www.pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=TN
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 9:21:59 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 10:36:48 AM EDT
[#29]
Definitely wire in an interlock/transfer switch to plug the house in.  This gives you no worrying about extension cords and everything can be used.  Think: Ceiling Fans, regular light fixtures, etc.  This is way more convenient.  Make sure your electrical panel is labeled clearly so that you can isolate breakers to know what is critical and what can be shut off without burden.  I have also replaced every bulb in my house with LED making them less of a burden on my generator.

Quoted:

View Quote
I agree completely.  I have used various sized generators at my hunting camp, the big ones are nice and during the summer running 220v a/c is great, but the fuel expense is too much to run that all day.  
My house is wired for a 30 amp/ 220V twist lock plug, but I also have a whip wired up to run my house from a 110v RV plug off my smaller generator.  Sure, I have to shut off all 220v breakers when doing that, but it sips fuel in comparison and has no issue running a ceiling fan in every room, light in every room and a small window unit at the same time - plus it is considerably quieter.
Link Posted: 2/11/2020 1:05:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Lately I have been thinking about what to do about backup power as well. I am considering a standby generator but I don't think I want to invest $12k into something that I might use 10 hours a year.

So that brings me to a portable generator. I would like to be able to run everything in my house if needed, although not necessarily at one time. I have an oil boiler for heat and hot water as well as a pellet stove so running those along with the well pump, fridge, freezer, some lights, microwave and electronics are my top priority. Washer, electric drier, and electric range would be nice but not a necessity.

I think I would end up with a large generator in the 10k watt range and also a smaller dual fuel so i don't have to use tons of fuel in the large generator when it's not needed. Is there a way to wire connections into the breaker panel to give me the option to run one generator or the other? I was given manual transfer switch a while back so I might be able to save a little money there.

I think I will have an electrician come take a look and see what my options are.

It would be nice if I could somehow power the house from the garage which has underground service from the house. That way I could just wheel the generator out from the garage and fire it up to power the house.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:12:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I think I would end up with a large generator in the 10k watt range and also a smaller dual fuel so i don't have to use tons of fuel in the large generator when it's not needed. Is there a way to wire connections into the breaker panel to give me the option to run one generator or the other?
View Quote
All 10KW portable generators have 120/240 volt output - which is exactly the same arrangement that supplies utility power to most homes. Connecting these generators to a transfer switch is just a simple matter of plugging them into the receptacle that feeds the transfer switch.

However, small (1-3 KW) inverter-generators only have 120 volt output - which means that only the 120 volt devices in your home can be powered with it.

In your home, all of the 120 volt circuits are split between two "phases". If you only connect your small inverter-generator to one of those phases, you'll only have AC power to half of the 120 volt circuits in your home - the other half of them will still be dead.

In order to feed 120 volt power to both phases from a small inverter-generator, one solution is to use a special generator power cord (or adapter plug) that temporarily connects both phases together whenever the inverter-generator is plugged in. This approach helps ensure that both phases are only bridged when using the small inverter-generator - and never when the special power cord isn't being used.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 1:33:56 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Make sure you use ethanol free gas - Rec-90, or whatever it's called in your area. It is expensive, near premium price, but it won't rot your fuel lines.
View Quote
My crappy Chinese generator has had the devil's fuel in it for 7 years now with nothing more than shutting the valve off when not in use. No rotting fuel lines here... I highly doubt a modern manufacturer is using non-compatible fuel lines. Yes, by all means, use ethanol free gas if you have a generator from the last century but it's not needed for modern generators.
Link Posted: 2/14/2020 2:04:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Check into tri-fuel conversion kit. Mine runs off gasoline- propane or natural gas.
https://www.uscarburetion.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top