Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/13/2021 6:37:09 PM EDT
I guess the simple solution is the battery in my Truck - but do any of you use a portable batteries?  If so what is your flavor of choice?  Thinking of setting up an antenna at my ranch (near a top of a hill, that happens to have my deer stand already sitting there).  I can drive to it, but have avoided clearing the brush well to keep others from finding the stand easily (I usually take a SxS to it), but that is a lot more effort than walking the 75 yards from the road.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:07:18 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a bunch of backup power.

100 AHr Bioenno LiFePO4 battery in the main shack desk for backup. (bought that with last round of Trump Bucks.

40 AHr Bioenno battery in the Powerwerx ammo box.

15 AHr Bioenno battery either in a ammo box or a backpack with my FT-891 portable setup.

A couple of old 80 AHr 12VDC Gel marine/RV batteries, but they are getting old and have lost some capacity.

120W of Solarex PV panels on the shed roof charging a 225 AHr battery bank which powers the winlink gateway and digipeaters rack in my shed.

100W solar panel for portable work like field days.

110W folding solar panel from Powerwerx for portable work.

Various chargers for both AC and solar for all types of batteries.

Two backup generators:  2000W Honda and 8250W Briggs and Stratton.

Yeah, I like having some backup power around.  
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:33:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a couple of the HF deep cycles, they aren't very light but they will run the radio for quite a while.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:46:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Interesting thought that I haven’t gone over.

I knew a 12v car battery works but can you get clean enough power straight from a Honda eu2000?  

I have a new Icom and a ten year old eu2000.  Inverters are supposed to be kind clean wave wise.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 7:49:51 PM EDT
[#4]
EU2000->power supply-> radio = great.

EU2000 "12VDC" -> radio = bad

The 12v port is unregulated and on mine is between 17-19v.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
I need to get my Honda's running again.  They have plenty of watts, but I thought the 12v out was only 10amps.  Had not thought of using it to power a power supply.  That said, my 5k generator is working (or is practically working, I need to put a new clamp on the fuel line).  I also have a 200w solar system that is current disassembled.  I stole deep cycles from the RV last time I used it, but that was for a 10 day outing.

I envy your big Lipo - but damn those get expensive.  IIRC a battle born that size is over 1k.  (was looking at them when I put the solar system together).  I tried posting about a battery charging system for my barn in GD last week - the damn the cost version would have me setting up a solar system with a large Lipo in the barn.  This last week I was considering a smaller 35ah Lipo that could do multi duty in a some farm equipment when not being part of a solar system.  But I think they were still over $300.

---
For what it's worth, will probably set up something out of the RV later this year for fish camp.  It is located a lot closer to a lot of repeaters - but is in a river valley...

---
I don't think inverters generally make a clean sine wave, in theory generators do.  That said, you can get sine wave inverters.  IIRC they cost several times more for the same power level.  I forget the details of the sine wave inverter I got for my solar system cost, but iirc it was $200 for 600watts (5amps at 120v).
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 8:32:34 PM EDT
[#6]
Bioenno LiFePO4 battery 15Ah in a cheap plastic 30 cal ammo can.
Got it rigged up with power poles in the lid of the can.
Great for field work.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:07:28 PM EDT
[#7]
has anyone tried using milwaukee fuel batteries? I have a few 12v and many 18v's
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:14:25 PM EDT
[#8]
2 Group 31 batteries from my pickup truck.
I put them in those plastic battery boxes wally world sells for 8-9 bux each.
Not handy or light, but they were free and work ok.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:41:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Champion 4000w dual fuel 220v, 120v 30a & 20a output

Champion 1800w 120v 20a output

Dewalt power station runs in all my 60v batteries for several days of iPad, phone, laptop charging
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:49:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Two 35ah deep cycle
Phoenix solar case
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a few smallish 6 to 9 Ah LiFePO4 batteries as my primary power for portable work, but I usually run low power.  If I plan to park somewhere for a while I have a big deep-cycle lead acid battery supplimented with solar charging if needed and available.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:54:07 PM EDT
[#12]
Motorcycle battery from Advanced Auto Parts.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 9:57:08 PM EDT
[#13]
35Ah AGM battery.  I think it will run my K2 for at least two weeks, but, I have a solar panel/charger if necessary.
Link Posted: 2/13/2021 10:44:42 PM EDT
[#14]
Old deep cycle marine batter powers the radios if the power goes out for a short time.  Champion 2000W invertor generator powers a few essentials and the radios at night or short term.  A Generac 17.5K portable powers the whole house (and shack) as long as needed.  Outages after hurricanes can be long and hot.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 12:03:07 AM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
EU2000->power supply-> radio = great.

EU2000 "12VDC" -> radio = bad

The 12v port is unregulated and on mine is between 17-19v.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/14/2021 3:12:35 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Interesting thought that I haven’t gone over.

I knew a 12v car battery works but can you get clean enough power straight from a Honda eu2000?  

I have a new Icom and a ten year old eu2000.  Inverters are supposed to be kind clean wave wise.
View Quote

The generator has a low power, 12 VDC outlet for charging small batteries. Forget about running a radio from the outlet. Use a quality, external power supply and power it from the generator's 120 VAC outlet.
I love my EU2000. Power is clean and no noticeable RF noise. The generator will run all day long on a gallon of gas. The fuel economy is unbelievable.
For camping and field days I got an 18 ft. travel trailer. It's equipped with 400W solar, a 100 AH, deep cycle, gel battery and a simple, 300W pure sinewave inverter (for running TV, charging things, etc). I'm planning to upgrade to a 100 AH LiFePo3 Battle Born battery to double the capacity. The new battery will also be able to charge much faster than the existing gel battery.

I also keep several 100 W solar panels, cables, charger and several deep cycle batteries.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 5:45:24 PM EDT
[#17]
Have not used it for such, but my trailer does have a pair of deep cycles and probably 200watts of panels on top for boondocking.  Listening to a radio would not drain them all that fast.  I think the main use of the system is to power the led lights and power the electronics for the propane water heater and the propane refrigerator (I think both need a little bit of electricity to run).
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 7:57:33 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a pair of Honda EU-2200's as my primary backup. I do intend to add batteries and solar panels when I finally move to my land. Damn COVID drove the lumber prices up to the point that I have delayed building the new house.
Link Posted: 2/25/2021 3:30:09 PM EDT
[#19]
I feel the pain on the lumber prices (and it is not like contractor prices have gone down either).  I have a shed, barn, and house on hold at the moment.  I will probably be building the shed myself to save on the contractor's price - unless I put in a cheap portable instead.
Link Posted: 2/26/2021 4:12:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
40 AHr Bioenno battery in the Powerwerx ammo box.
View Quote
Thank you for the advice.  After a bit of drinking tonight I bit the bullet and ordered it.  I think it should work out well, and if I need more power, I guess I can always add a second 40AHr battery to the bank.

Will also get the Honda's running again when I don't mind lugging them around.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top