Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2021 6:35:05 PM EDT
Extra points for doing so under primitive conditions. Looking toward retirement and whatever else comes our way.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:41:31 PM EDT
[#1]
Here's a good article with reference to two books at the end

https://www.backwoodshome.com/raising-rabbits-for-profit/
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 11:54:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Montana
Link Posted: 10/18/2021 7:31:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Not much to it.
Had hundreds just a few years back.
Posted a lot here about it.

Kids actually dried and fed grass etc for a while, just to see. Growth was much slower.

Was down to 5 the other day.
Gave 2 to.a young girl Saturday.

Might get back into it, but only for household needs.
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:46:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input. Others?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 6:54:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Do you have fenced in land or are you thinking cages indoors?
Link Posted: 10/19/2021 7:09:25 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for the input. Others?
View Quote

Use Search
Archives
Outdoor Community
Keyword Rabbits

Present to 2005

Names all removed, but that ought to keep you busy.

Pics still up, at least a few threads I glanced at
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 1:45:50 AM EDT
[#7]
Storey's Guides to raising whatever.  They have books on rabbits, chickens, goats, etc, been around for a long time.

MissingImage
Failed To Load Product Data

Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:12:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Do you have fenced in land or are you thinking cages indoors?
View Quote

Right now it isn't all fenced. 1/4 acre (maybe more) is chain linked from a large dog pen. I have thought about putting rabbits and / or chickens pens within that space for a very small slice of extra security. I might create a pen within a pen with a my 90lb pit bull in the outer ring during the night. He does not approve of anything but family members being in his personal space. Even extended family are not invited.
Link Posted: 10/20/2021 9:17:12 PM EDT
[#9]
2 books purchased so far as a result of this thread and many page marks. Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/21/2021 7:13:52 AM EDT
[#10]
I’m not sure how to post pictures, but you can do something similar to what I’ve done. Tposts and hose clamps to attach wire cages to them. Then attach plastic or galvanized roofing panels to the top to keep them dry. Spent hay, poop, and urine fall through the wire cages into the spent hay and a wood chip pile which has turned into a home for earth worms. Chickens turn the pile over looking for worms and dropped rabbit feed and it composts nicely breaking down into a nice top dressing compost.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 4:17:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Best book to get you into raising rabbits is Storeys guide to raising rabbits by Bob Bennett.  Helped me get started years ago and I still reference it sometimes.
Link Posted: 10/23/2021 4:56:49 PM EDT
[#12]
Google Boyd craven jr rabbit
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 6:39:47 AM EDT
[#13]
im just about ready to get a couple rabbits. broke down a bought some cages. just not sure if i want to start this time of year.

haven't looked at any books, but have spent time internet reading and watching youtube. also have a co worker that has raised them. so i bug them about the subject.
Link Posted: 10/29/2021 5:46:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
im just about ready to get a couple rabbits. broke down a bought some cages. just not sure if i want to start this time of year.

haven't looked at any books, but have spent time internet reading and watching youtube. also have a co worker that has raised them. so i bug them about the subject.
View Quote

Depending on your locality you have time to get one or two litters down before it gets too cold. Have 2 does due this weekend and that will be our next to last litter for this year depending on weather. We’ve moved to using a captured bolt gun to stun/kill them and then bleed them out. I find the meat tastes much better when they’re calm when they get stunned and then immediately get bled.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top