Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/7/2020 4:42:34 PM EDT
Does anyone have a recommendation for a good 'how to' deer hunting book? I currently grab a rifle, sit in a ground blind on public land, and hope for the best. I figure it wouldn't hurt to read a book on how to actually hunt deer. In the future I might get into bow hunting (if that matters?). There are so many variables with wind, food, water, scent, etc. that I'm sure I have overlooked. For clarification, I am talking about whitetails in Wisconsin.

As for boots, does anyone have and input on Cabela's Predator boots? I see they are on sale/clearance, and I am thinking about getting a pair. Cold feet can really ruin the joy of deer hunting for me. I know one guy that has them and swears by them, but I was looking for additional feedback. The reviews look decent, besides running a bit small. I would not be hiking long distance in them, just sitting in them trying not to doze off.
Link Posted: 10/8/2020 9:25:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Two of my favorite books are big bucks the benoit way, and mapping for trophy bucks.

The first one is a neat read on their unique style. But quite a bit of info to be had.

The second is a very good book on deer behavior and why/where to setup for them. I have had success following his methods.

No info on those boots for you, but if you are stand hunting for long periods of time, look into pack boots, heated insoles, or my personal choice, boot blankets. I take my boots (I generally wear uninsulated boots) and put my socked feet in the boot blankets with a hand warmer.  All of these methods have positives and negatives.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 1:16:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Thank you for the recommendations. I never really considered boot blankets, and I will probably will pick some up. A cheaper option than another set of boots, and I like the idea of being able to put them on in the stand. I will also keep an eye out for those books.
Link Posted: 10/20/2020 6:21:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Can't help you on books.

Right now I'm wearing some issued Danner RAT temperate (goretex, no drains). In very early season I'll wear Merrill Moab. Later, when it's actually cold, the Muck boots come out (I got the ones they say are for -20, which means +20 when sitting or 0 when moving).

When I take a little walk on the trail for squirrel I'll often just wear my work Redwing work boots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top