Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/28/2021 6:43:15 PM EDT
Was fishing the other morning and black walnuts were raining down.
Haven't fooled with them in decades, but picked up a few.
( I did use some mushy black husks to stain a muzzleloader stock in 1986

Used to drive over them to husk them.
Tried something different.

Half a bucket of water, and a paint paddle.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Nothing happened other than one occasionally shot out like a ping pong ball. But after 3, or 4, or 5 minutes, paddle started biting.

Couple minutes more.

Attachment Attached File

Poured thru screen, picked out nuts.
Attachment Attached File

My fingers still stained. Wear old clothes.

Set nuts on wire to dry.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:37:47 PM EDT
[#1]
@Dave15

That's actually pretty neat!

As kids, we used to practice
pitching accuracy using those things
until I learned what they were later in life.
Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#2]
OP is in the wrong part of the country for a sure-fire, get-rich scheme . . .

https://black-walnuts.com/discover-harvesting-and-hulling/hulling-and-buying-locations/

Link Posted: 9/28/2021 8:50:54 PM EDT
[#3]
That's the easy part.
MANY hours wasted trying to get pieces bigger than a micron out of those damn things.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:19:00 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That's the easy part.
MANY hours wasted trying to get pieces bigger than a micron out of those damn things.
View Quote

50 years ago,we whacked them with a hammer, then ate shell and nut fragments.

Tried an old Lee single stage press this time.
Took a LOT more leaning on it than I expected.

See how they are when they dry a bit more.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 11:08:43 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
OP is in the wrong part of the country for a sure-fire, get-rich scheme . . .

https://black-walnuts.com/discover-harvesting-and-hulling/hulling-and-buying-locations/
View Quote

I made my first $ million picking up walnuts in grade school!!  After I squandered that, I moved on to cutting cedars.  Now that the $ million earned from cedars is gone I plan to move on to raccoon pelts.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 12:46:58 PM EDT
[#6]
Anyone who picks up walnuts is bad at math in my opinion.

Back when gas was $4 a gallon I saw a man and his wife picking up a pickup bed full of walnuts about 8 miles from town.

They probably had 600 pounds after hulling so $78 at $13 per hundred.

I bet they spent 6 hours and $10 in gas just getting them to town to sell them.

So $68 for 12 man hours of work or $5.67 an hour.

Literally anything besides picking up cans along the highway pays better than that!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 1:40:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Literally anything besides picking up cans along the highway pays better than that!
View Quote

I guess you've never cut cedars for money?!?!
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 2:13:26 PM EDT
[#8]
OP, what do you plan to do with them?

Grandpa had a few black walnut tree's on the farm. My aunt's and uncles all absolutely hated them(of course, the trees were right next to the house and driveway). I grabbed some of the walnuts last time I was down there and have been thinking about trying to plant them for my homestead. Everyone is telling me I'm crazy, but I kinda think it would be a fun reminder of my childhood. Of course, I'm not planting them anywhere near my house. So, I've gotta figure out how to plant these. I think they have to go through a cold cycle.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:05:08 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Anyone who picks up walnuts is bad at math in my opinion . . .
View Quote

I've actually never gathered walnuts for cash, but I've observed the behavior. I talked with one family who made it a family tradition. They would spend a couple of weekends gathering nuts and then use the few hundred dollars they earned to fund their Christmas presents. I guess the tradition was more valuable than their time.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 5:06:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
OP, what do you plan to do with them?

View Quote

Have the wife slip some into her double chocolate chip cookies, so I can tell myself they're healthy!

ETA
Plus, partly nostalgia for me.
Most folks I did this stuff with 50 years ago are gone.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 6:56:02 PM EDT
[#11]
Need to let then sit a couple of days, then place in a cement mixer to remove husks and wash. Then place on roof to dry. Then spend all winter cracking and removing the meat from the shell.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 9:32:15 PM EDT
[#12]
My boy makes some pretty good folding money every year picking walnuts. He’s got a good little business going. He’s been doing it for 4 years and has a lot of places to pick. Average’s about $16 an hourAttachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 7:06:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My boy makes some pretty good folding money every year picking walnuts. He’s got a good little business going. He’s been doing it for 4 years and has a lot of places to pick. Average’s about $16 an hourhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/F67E41D8-E133-4C6E-92E0-56FA3E82A4CF_jpe-2111338.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/CC10550E-36F7-45A1-A349-1FE230430B8E_jpe-2111341.JPG
View Quote

Can we get more pics of that operation? Curious what the elevator feeds in to. Thanks

@sigpros
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 8:01:56 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
My boy makes some pretty good folding money every year picking walnuts. He’s got a good little business going. He’s been doing it for 4 years and has a lot of places to pick. Average’s about $16 an hourhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/F67E41D8-E133-4C6E-92E0-56FA3E82A4CF_jpe-2111338.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/CC10550E-36F7-45A1-A349-1FE230430B8E_jpe-2111341.JPG
View Quote

That photo has got to be staged, his hands aren't solid black!!
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 5:05:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

LOL, day after I worked them in pics, I walk into.work, grab a cup.of coffee, and Co.worker asks,
" Your butt itch?"
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 5:23:14 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Anyone who picks up walnuts is bad at math in my opinion.

Back when gas was $4 a gallon I saw a man and his wife picking up a pickup bed full of walnuts about 8 miles from town.

They probably had 600 pounds after hulling so $78 at $13 per hundred.

I bet they spent 6 hours and $10 in gas just getting them to town to sell them.

So $68 for 12 man hours of work or $5.67 an hour.

View Quote

My kids used to collect them our place and a few of the neighbors.  They'd get $50-60 for a couple weekend's work; righteous bucks when you're 14 and that new video game release is callin' your name.

And they learned the difference between earning money and having none.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:45:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Can we get more pics of that operation? Curious what the elevator feeds in to. Thanks

@sigpros
View Quote

When he starts selling them I’ll get ya some pics. Hammonds walnuts are in Stockton mo and they set these hulling stations up all over the area. They pay a family to run it (lots of kids do it for a FFA project) we show up and hull the walnuts and the people pay us. Hammondssends a semi around and picks up the walnuts. Hammonds sells something like 95% of all the black walnuts people buy. That conveyor feeds into a drum that has chains tha knock the hulls off while the drum spins. The nuts come out still in the shell and go into the onion type sacks. They weigh them and cut a check. Looks like prices went up $20 a hundred pounds this year. My boy picked up over 2800 pounds last year
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:47:13 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View Quote

He uses a roller to pick them up. He has been brainstorming a machine to pick them up like a mini combine. Trying to figure out how to make something out of an old riding mower with a snow blower.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 9:49:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Well the pic flipped but here is him with the roller picking them up at a local park. The city guys love him doing it so they don’t hit him with the mower
Link Posted: 10/2/2021 6:42:06 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

He uses a roller to pick them up. He has been brainstorming a machine to pick them up like a mini combine. Trying to figure out how to make something out of an old riding mower with a snow blower.
View Quote

Driving range golf ball picker-upper attachment.

Saw one in use awhile back.
Had a full , small mesh cage on it, guy was running it WHILE folks were Teeing off on him, lol.
Link Posted: 10/3/2021 9:46:27 PM EDT
[#21]
Sorry guys didn’t get any pics but he picked up 430 pounds today
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:53:20 AM EDT
[#22]
So what are they paying per 100# now?
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

. . .  Hammonds walnuts are in Stockton mo and they set these hulling stations up all over the area. They pay a family to run it (lots of kids do it for a FFA project) we show up and hull the walnuts and the people pay us. Hammondssends a semi around and picks up the walnuts. Hammonds sells something like 95% of all the black walnuts people buy . . .
View Quote

When I worked for Rural Missouri (magazie), I did a feature story on Hammonds. I confess, since I grew up in the city, the whole annual tradition of black walnut harvest was new to me at the time. I was really impressed by their operation. They have something like 900-1,000 hulling stations scattered around the United States (mostly limited to a few midwestern states and a few states out East). And yes, they are the 900-pound gorilla of black walnuts. Nearly all of the U.S. supply (if not the world's) passes through Stockton, Missouri. As part of that story I wrote, I visited the production facility. I don't recall exactly how the machine works that removes the nuts from the shell, but it was basically some kind of crusher, combined with a separator/sorter. The final stage was a line of women in hair nets watching as the processed nuts passed by on a conveyor belt. Those ladies only job was to pick out pieces of shells that made it past the sorter.

One thing I found really interesting is that there is very little actual use for black walnuts. Nobody eats them raw. IIRC, they are used for just two things: baking into cakes/cookies/breads and including in ice cream. The hulls are used as an industrial abrasive.

BTW, when a big tornado hit Stockton, Missouri, a few years ago, it took out Hammond's hull storage facility. The hulls were worthless as an industrial abrasive at that point because they were contaminated with debris. The electric co-ops took the bad hulls and burned them in a small power plant they used to operate in Chamois, turning the waste into electricity.
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:41:36 PM EDT
[#24]
$20/100 pounds. Highest price I’ve ever seen. Slow going up here. The hulling station said we were only the second people in all week. They did 60,000 pounds last year
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 7:43:53 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

When I worked for Rural Missouri (magazie), I did a feature story on Hammonds. I confess, since I grew up in the city, the whole annual tradition of black walnut harvest was new to me at the time. I was really impressed by their operation. They have something like 900-1,000 hulling stations scattered around the United States (mostly limited to a few midwestern states and a few states out East). And yes, they are the 900-pound gorilla of black walnuts. Nearly all of the U.S. supply (if not the world's) passes through Stockton, Missouri. As part of that story I wrote, I visited the production facility. I don't recall exactly how the machine works that removes the nuts from the shell, but it was basically some kind of crusher, combined with a separator/sorter. The final stage was a line of women in hair nets watching as the processed nuts passed by on a conveyor belt. Those ladies only job was to pick out pieces of shells that made it past the sorter.

One thing I found really interesting is that there is very little actual use for black walnuts. Nobody eats them raw. IIRC, they are used for just two things: baking into cakes/cookies/breads and including in ice cream. The hulls are used as an industrial abrasive.

BTW, when a big tornado hit Stockton, Missouri, a few years ago, it took out Hammond's hull storage facility. The hulls were worthless as an industrial abrasive at that point because they were contaminated with debris. The electric co-ops took the bad hulls and burned them in a small power plant they used to operate in Chamois, turning the waste into electricity.
View Quote

I’ve been to Stockton a bunch. Used to hunt out that way. I have never been to the plant. It’s kind of turning into a fall thing for my son and I just like deer season. He has a bunch of places to hit this week he’s hoping to make $500 he has an old Ford tractor he wants to buy
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:39:35 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
$20/100 pounds. Highest price I’ve ever seen. Slow going up here. The hulling station said we were only the second people in all week. They did 60,000 pounds last year
View Quote

Ahhh, you post said "up $20/#", so I was thinking, up $20 from what original price?!  They had a commercial on the local Mid MO network news this morning that also said $20.
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 7:42:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
I’ve been to Stockton a bunch. Used to hunt out that way. I have never been to the plant. It’s kind of turning into a fall thing for my son and I just like deer season. He has a bunch of places to hit this week he’s hoping to make $500 he has an old Ford tractor he wants to buy
View Quote

Kick ass.  The payoff will make your back aches worth it!
Link Posted: 10/8/2021 9:35:13 PM EDT
[#28]
815 pounds tonight. The guy at the hulking station said the biggest load ever was 1200 pounds. Well the boy has a goal now. He wants the title of the biggest load Attachment Attached File
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/9/2021 6:45:45 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
815 pounds tonight. The guy at the hulking station said the biggest load ever was 1200 pounds. Well the boy has a goal now. He wants the title of the biggest load https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/F912F5A2-48BC-4365-BCEB-015E791E01C4_jpe-2123179.JPGhttps://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/230179/D42F97EB-F515-430B-A1CD-F55DD1731FB4_jpe-2123180.JPG
View Quote

LOL, that's probably over my career total!

Question:

Anyone else notice some trees have smaller walnuts?
Both hill and nut.

HUGE tree near me has tons of nuts, but all about 25-30% smaller than average. Same with the trees nearby. 1/4 mile away trees have normal sized ones.

Small ones harder to crack and yield less too.
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 8:30:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Driving range golf ball picker-upper attachment.

Saw one in use awhile back.
Had a full , small mesh cage on it, guy was running it WHILE folks were Teeing off on him, lol.
View Quote

Small, relatively inexpensive

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/10/2021 10:01:31 AM EDT
[#31]
That would work pretty good. Maybe get one section and mount in the front of a riding mower
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:17:37 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:18:51 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:22:49 PM EDT
[#34]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:23:52 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 10/11/2021 2:25:48 PM EDT
[#36]
I do something a little different with black walnuts. Each year around June, I go and collect soft green ones and make nocino.

Here is one of this years batch almost 4 months later. Normally ready around christmas for a tasty spicy digestif

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

I think it was $15 here last year.

But my trees did not bear this year.  I doubt there are even enough for squirrels to eat, so we will be buying corn this winter I guess.
View Quote

That's interesting.  I'm in Hardin Co, KY.  The two walnut trees in my back yard are absolutely loaded.

Link Posted: 10/11/2021 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Throw them on the ground.  They will germinate.

Or dig a shallow hole, four inches deep or so, and shove the walnut in it.  Do a few in case a squirrel gets a couple.

The germination rate on black walnuts is insanely high.

Ask me how I know.

View Quote

How do you know?  

Plant them in the hull?  Or just the nut?

I've generally ignored them because animals get to the walnuts first, and I never saw very many.  I picked up about 50 this year.   I'm only seeing one, maybe two walnut trees.    I'd love to get more started.
Link Posted: 10/12/2021 7:57:42 AM EDT
[#39]
A gal I work with helps her twin 10 year old nephews pick walnuts every year.  So far this year she said that they have hauled in a 950# load and a 1160# load.  The boy's goal is enough money to buy a pair of calves they can show at the local fair.
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#40]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:10:59 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:15:41 PM EDT
[#42]
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:24:44 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

So it's black walnut vodka?  That green hull has got to make an interesting flavor.  I'd like to try that. I don't do vodka as a rule but I might, for this.
View Quote

Little crazier than that.

Young walnuts. Have to be harvested mid June before the inner nut starts to really form.
Vanilla bean
Cinnamon
Cloves
Cardamom
Lemon or orange peel
Sugar
And whatever herbs and spices you like

It just taste like winter to me. It's warming and flavorful. Super enjoyable to just sip after dinner
Link Posted: 10/13/2021 7:47:26 PM EDT
[#44]
Got three of them in my yard.  Two inside the dog pen (good sized dog pen).  Provide lots of shade for the dogs all summer.  In a bad mast year there are usually lots of walnuts inside the pen.  Funny to watch the squirrels come up from the woods, sit there in the grass watching to make sure the dogs are asleep and getting a big walnut to take out to eat.  Funny you ask?  For some reason the will go through the fence to get into the pen.  Once they grab the nut the run up the fence wire and go over the top to get out of the pen.  The damn nut is about the size of their head but they act like it's so big it won't fit through the fence.

Sometimes the dogs wake up.  Sometimes the squirrel gets to a walnut tree and escapes, sort of.  Every now and then they don't get to a tree in time.  My dogs have never been hunting dogs so they don't eat them.  They just kill them and leave them in the dirt till I come out, pick the dead squirrel up and toss it in the trash.

My dad liked them.  He would always pick some up, take them home, crack them open and dig out the nuts so his mom (and then later my mom) could bake him a cake with black walnuts in it.

As kids we'd use bricks to bust the hulls off them and then set them aside to dry.  

I stained a bench with "real" black walnut stain when I was a kid.  Soaked the hulls in a small bucket of water for several days and let the water get darker and darker.  Then I wiped a few coats of the "stain" over the wood till it was dark enough to suit me.  My mom still has that bench.  She puts her feet up on it when she sits in her rocker by the wood stove in the living room.  I made it in 1970.  My mom, what can I say.
Link Posted: 10/25/2021 7:29:01 PM EDT
[#45]
only a few more days until the traditional day to filter off and bottle the noccino. It always smells incredible and you get to siphon off a taste or two
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 7:55:35 PM EDT
[#46]
wait.... People buy these? I have dozens of black walnut trees in my yard and around my land.. I would gladly let someone come pick my yard, I just mulch them with my mower and replace the blades and spindles on my mower every fall lol...
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 10/26/2021 8:45:41 PM EDT
[#48]
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:49:48 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

Price a tiny bag of black walnut kernels in the grocery store and you will begin to understand.
View Quote

So........ I’m rich?
Link Posted: 10/27/2021 7:59:12 PM EDT
[#50]
Stupid squirrels...  I got some survey flags today to mark where I had planted the walnuts.  I had put 4 to 6 in each hole. Looks like the squirrels found them all.  I just kicked dirt back in the hole.  Hopefully I'll find out they missed a few next year.  Stupid squirrels...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top