Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/17/2018 10:06:41 PM EDT
Can anyone explain to me the differences between these 3 models of Bioenno Power LiFePO4 batteries?  They're all the smallest form factor Bioenno offers, but aside from the last model number letter, I don't see any difference.

Why have different model numbers for the same battery?

12V, 3Ah LFP Battery (PVC, BLF-1203W)

12V, 3Ah LFP Battery (PVC, BLF-1203A)

12V, 3Ah LFP Battery (PVC, BLF-1203AB)
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:14:20 PM EDT
[#1]
The battery protection module is different in one of them limiting the output power to 72 watts and 84 watts.

Also the two batteries with 84 watts output listed have a 12a and 14a peak pulse output according to their datasheets but is not reflected in their web page listing. Also different physical size according to their specs.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 10:26:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Cell layout.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:05:51 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks, Foxxz and otar.  I should have RTFM.
Link Posted: 4/17/2018 11:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
Bigger question to be asked is, why not a bigger battery?
The 6Ah is only $30.00 more and doubles your run time on your Kx. Weight wise your adding just over a half pound.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#5]
8oz is a decent amount of weight if you are backpacking. Does he need double the run time?

When I do backpack ops I literally question any piece of gear that weighs more than ~4oz. Do I need it? Can I replace it with something lighter?

These days my 817 is my "mid weight" radio even when I strip it down.
Link Posted: 4/18/2018 9:50:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes, the weight is a concern, as I'm trying to keep it to a minimum for my KX3 kit.  Still going for a lighter weight alternative to my QRP Ranger / solar setup, and the extra capacity isn't really needed this time.
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 10:34:34 AM EDT
[#7]
I did wind up getting this battery at the Hamvention.  Price was $50, including the charger, which was a little cheaper than the website price of $65.

12V, 3Ah LFP Battery (PVC, BLF-1203AB)
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:18:26 PM EDT
[#8]
So I’m jus now getting past a ht phase of ham. I’m going to be getting a dual band mobile soon for the car. My end goal is to be able to get a small hf and run either off of a small portable battery setup with roll up antennas. Mostly the end goal is backpack portable with the ability to recharge off a fold up solar panel. If anyone is doin this, what does it look it? What does it entail? Thanks
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
It could look like my KX3, QRP Ranger, PowerFilm 30w foldable solar panel, LNR Endfed antenna setup...  or a lot of other HF radio, battery, solar panel, antenna configurations.  Mic for phone (voice), notebook for digital comms (PSK31 or FT8), key for CW (Morse code).  Lots of options at lots of different price points.  

Link Posted: 5/30/2018 8:07:02 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It could look like my KX3, QRP Ranger, PowerFilm 30w foldable solar panel, LNR Endfed antenna setup...  or a lot of other HF radio, battery, solar panel, antenna configurations.  Mic for phone (voice), notebook for digital comms (PSK31 or FT8), key for CW (Morse code).  Lots of options at lots of different price points.  

https://i.imgur.com/0cgUwDk.jpg
View Quote
Ok, so if I run one of these batteries with a tyt th-8600 dual band 25w mobile, how long would the battery last? Also, would I need a 12v or 18v fold up panel? Do I need a charge controller?
Link Posted: 5/30/2018 9:01:39 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Ok, so if I run one of these batteries with a tyt th-8600 dual band 25w mobile, how long would the battery last? Also, would I need a 12v or 18v fold up panel? Do I need a charge controller?
View Quote
Kf7ijz has some great videos an all of this on YouTube. Answer is depends...

I use a power film 30w panel with a genasun charge controller and a123 lithium battery for my kx3. It’s a solid combo and I hear the bino batteries are better
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top