Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2023 8:21:16 PM EDT
Got a couple of loose nuts, so I need wrenches. Problem is, the nuts are on the 1025r loader, so not the standard homeowner sizes. As such, I need to start s collection of wrenches for larger sizes, 1" and above.

Lowes has Kobalt and Craftsman, Rural King has Crimson Force, Harbor Frieght has Pittsburgh, and I don't know what Tractor Supply has. Im not a mechanic and won't be wrenching everyday, but need ro be able to get back up an running occasionally without spending Snap-On money.

Anyone use the larger wrenches from the stores/brands mentioned?

Thanks
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:31:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a set of Pittsburgh from 1 3/8 to 2" haven't broken one yet so must be ok. If I do break one they'll swap it out no questions asked. My smaller combo wrenches are every brand from Pittsburgh to Proto

I have been known to use my 18 or 24" adjustable on big stuff before trying to find the correct size wrench, it usually works

My Pittsburgh impact rated inch drive set has been fantastic, probably gonna get the chrome set with ratchet and everything if I start working on more tractors

Tractor Supply carries Gearwrench (where I got my ratchet wrenches from) but the house brand slipped my mind
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:40:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Harbor Freight has brands other than Pittsburgh.
Icon is their higher end and has a no questions asked replacement policy. Quinn is another brand they have. Not sure if they make big wrenches in that line though.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Icon is their higher end and has a no questions asked replacement policy. Quinn is another brand they have. Not sure if they make big wrenches in that line though.
View Quote

The Icon stuff I have is really nice. They'll replace their regular Pittsburgh just like Icon though, best one so far was a small pipe wrench that was in a pile of misc stuff I bought. It was cracked, and the bottom jaw was completely gone. Walked in, said "it broke" handed it to the dude behind the counter, went and got another, and walked out
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:14:57 PM EDT
[#4]
I bought the Pittsburgh set back in 2001.
Still got today, no problems.
I worked in a diesel shop for most of the last 20 years.
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:26:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Got a mix of every brand wrenches, find lots of good wrenches cheap at yard/estate sales etc.

Course got lots of harbor freight Pittsburgh too cause they're lifetime warranty.

Course I use a electric Bauer 8amp 1/2" impact wrench with Pittsburgh impact sockets a lot too
Link Posted: 4/19/2023 9:43:53 PM EDT
[#6]
I have impact sockets for 3/4 and 1 inch drive up to 1-3/4"....and I needed a bigger one yesterday.   First thought was harbor freight.   I don't know if they have bigger sockets than that, I fixed my problem with a 100 year old F wrench and a 3 foot cheater that is explicitly denied, forged into the wrench, to get it done.

Apparently they do have regular sockets in bigger size but locally only in a $200+ set

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 1:02:42 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have impact sockets for 3/4 and 1 inch drive up to 1-3/4"....and I needed a bigger one yesterday.   First thought was harbor freight.   I don't know if they have bigger sockets than that, I fixed my problem with a 100 year old F wrench and a 3 foot cheater that is explicitly denied, forged into the wrench, to get it done.

Apparently they do have regular sockets in bigger size but locally only in a $200+ set

View Quote

Came to post this. Depending on where the nut is and how tight, a Ford wrench and a cheater bar can get you out of a jam.

I have some honking' Pittsburgh wrenches and they do fine, but precision they are not. Also, I barely trust them. But they're what I got...
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 2:15:28 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have a set of Pittsburgh from 1 3/8 to 2" haven't broken one yet so must be ok. If I do break one they'll swap it out no questions asked. My smaller combo wrenches are every brand from Pittsburgh to Proto

I have been known to use my 18 or 24" adjustable on big stuff before trying to find the correct size wrench, it usually works

My Pittsburgh impact rated inch drive set has been fantastic, probably gonna get the chrome set with ratchet and everything if I start working on more tractors

Tractor Supply carries Gearwrench (where I got my ratchet wrenches from) but the house brand slipped my mind
View Quote
same here on the Pittsburg.   Got big wrenches and sockets decades ago.  Haven't broken one yet.  SUpposedly a lifetime warranty.   I used to have to be sure to save the receipt, but now with phone # tracking (if you participate), they can easily look up your purchase.   A warranty is only as good or "lifelong" as the company behind it, which is why I switched from Craftsman to Gearwrench, Harbor Freight, and Home Depot back when Sears started going downhill.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:09:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I've never had a problem with harbor freight warranty returns.  I broke a 15+ year old breaker bar last year. No part number or brand name anywhere on it.  I found a picture online showing it as a old Pittsburgh and the manager exchanged it.  

Had a torque wrench fail.  Got it replaced.  

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:48:59 AM EDT
[#10]
I've had good luck at farm auctions getting older Craftsman 3/4 drive stuff.  Sometimes it is mixed in with cheap tools, but then I just sell what I don't want on CL.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 5:22:00 AM EDT
[#11]
Another vote for Pittsburg.  I have a big set of Pittsburg combination wrenches as well as a 1 inch drive socket set.  I have put a 5 ft cheater on the socket wrench and jumped up and down on the end before without damaging it.

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 3:27:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Menards if you have one nearby

Link Posted: 4/20/2023 4:27:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Damn, I forgot about them. There is one nearby. I'll have to look online as to what they have there. Thanks for the reminder.
Link Posted: 4/20/2023 6:10:18 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View Quote

I'm a big menards fan, but I'm not a fan of their hand tools (Masterforce)...I have a ratchet purchased back when they were made in USA, it's never seen a cheater bar, but the teeth still stripped out.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:07:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've had good luck at farm auctions getting older Craftsman 3/4 drive stuff.  Sometimes it is mixed in with cheap tools, but then I just sell what I don't want on CL.
View Quote

Flea markets are a good place to look too, especially if you don't need a full set. Figure out the sizes you will need and browse the collections.
Link Posted: 4/21/2023 1:15:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

I've done Icon for my tractor.  They seem to be nice, definitely pricier but supposedly higher quality.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 7:34:01 PM EDT
[#17]
You can put a lot of rotational hatred down with a big crescent wrench and cheater. It’s worth a shot.

I would try to buy just the sockets necessary, since wrenches are significantly more expensive in most cases. Unless you can’t get a socket on there.

From what I’ve seen, I’ll take Icon or Crimson over TSC or Menards, but that’s just my opinion. If it works, who cares? I get it that myself and many others simply can’t justify the cost of Snapon for a huge wrench that won’t be used frequently. I can’t fathom mechanics that rely on cheap brands though. Seems like a liability for them.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:09:20 PM EDT
[#18]
I have wrenches up to 1-1/2 and a 24 inch Crescent for bigger stuff . I have 3/4 sockets up to 2-1/2 and a 3/4 breaker bar and a ratchet.  Old stuff mainly Craftsman and SK made in America
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 8:49:14 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a big mix of stuff from Ebay back when shipping was cheaper. You might be able to find some deals at pawn shops or auctions in your area. HF is the best bet if you need it now. As previously mentioned, the Pittsburg stuff would more than likely outlast you. If you want to be fancy, the Icon stuff is super nice for the money. The 25% off super coupons are your friend.
Link Posted: 4/23/2023 11:05:22 PM EDT
[#20]
I picked up the Crescent brand "jumbo" series of combo wrenches up to 2" from various local farm supply stores. So far they have been up to the task for everything I have needed to do like tightening/removing 3pt pins, a ball on a hitch, or axle nuts on my tractor (even with me standing on the wrench).
Link Posted: 4/28/2023 10:49:48 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

The Icon stuff I have is really nice. They'll replace their regular Pittsburgh just like Icon though, best one so far was a small pipe wrench that was in a pile of misc stuff I bought. It was cracked, and the bottom jaw was completely gone. Walked in, said "it broke" handed it to the dude behind the counter, went and got another, and walked out
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I bought some Icon wrenches and have been pretty impressed.  Korean the same as SnapOn blue points.
  I’ve used my buddies MAC knucklebusters and they aren’t that good but better than about anything else aside from that and SnapOn
Link Posted: 5/8/2023 2:26:15 PM EDT
[#22]
Since the "toolbox" on my Kubota tractor is more of a suggestion, all I really bother keeping with it is a vice grip, standard adjustable, and one of the bigger knipex smooth jawed pliers. Works good enough for attaching stuff, and tightening things I notice on the fly.

My larger wrenches are all Kobalt, I think, but if I were to buy new stuff, I'd not be terribly picky.  Kobalt, Craftsman, or one of the nicer HF stuff.  If I buy online, I lean towards Tekton lately.

But those are really only going to live in my shop.  Not carrying that stuff around all the time.  Especially when I never know what's going to be metric or imperial.  Hence the knipex.
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 1:43:53 PM EDT
[#23]
I use a couple 24" pipe and crescent wrenches that do the trick.  I also have large impact sockets and a Ridgid cordless impact.  I also have had good luck w/ Harbor Freight wrenches.
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:04:44 PM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 5/12/2023 8:27:02 PM EDT
[#25]
My big stuff is mainly sockets, 3/4 and inch drives.  Get a good impact, ratchet and 4' breaker bar.  Helps to have a big compressor and a 3/4" and 1 inch air impact to get what the cordless ones won't.  Have bought some metric sockets from eBay, 30 and 34 seem to be the ones I really needed.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 10:48:42 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Check FB Marketplace, and be sure to search for yard, estate, and barn sale listings for tools for sale.  Pawns are another option.

If you travel anywhere near oil fields, hit up pawn shops and FB Marketplace out there.  If anything, their tools may actually be too big for your needs.  But it’s amazing what turns up in those places.
View Quote

Estate sales can turn up some gems, especially if you don't judge a book by its cover:

US made Proto set. It appears there may have been a 3/4" socket that is missing but everything else is there and practically new.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:00:29 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Estate sales can turn up some gems, especially if you don't judge a book by its cover:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331822/Proto_1-2817430.jpg

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/331822/Proto_2-2817431.jpg

US made Proto set. It appears there may have been a 3/4" socket that is missing but everything else is there and practically new.
View Quote

Bottom right socket seems to be a larger drive?
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 11:47:01 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Good eye. I had not noticed that but it is an oddball, 1" drive - 1-5/8" socket and not a Proto. Still a good set for $25, I feel like I stole it.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:38:23 PM EDT
[#29]
I don't know if they are a national chain or just a local store, but there is a tool store in Tulsa called Wholesale Tools. I haven't been there in several years but when I was trying to put together a big set of tools they were the place to go. They would have 3/4" drive sockets for 25% of normal price, sometimes even less, the same with bigger wrenches. They had all kinds of tools, but that is what I was looking for at the time, mainly anyhow. It was hit and miss on what they had though. You might see if they have a store in your area.
Link Posted: 5/15/2023 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

Good eye. I had not noticed that but it is an oddball, 1" drive - 1-5/8" socket and not a Proto. Still a good set for $25, I feel like I stole it.
View Quote

Good deal!  I've spent that on an individual socket or 30 mm Gear wrench.
Link Posted: 5/16/2023 12:14:39 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top