Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:28:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Tag
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 4:54:32 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

note: ranger bands burn nicely, and importantly -- they burn nicely even after getting wet.
for field expedient tinder under adverse weather conditions, ranger bands work.

here's 20 good quality ranger bands for $10:
https://gearward.com/products/ranger-bands

ar-jedi

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0284/5740/files/Ranger_Band_waterproof_tinder_1024x1024.jpg
View Quote

Cool, thanks.......off to spend more money...
D.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#3]
Bic  lighters are great.I had one I left on an uprooted stump dirt ball where I would burn brush,it stayed outside for about 8 or 9 months and was still good.
Dryer lint will not work unless you collect it from a totally non synthetic dryer load,cotton towels.
Better version is,a cotton ball and a finger dip worth of Vaseline.this will burn for around 40 to 80seconds.maybe longer.
Carry many treated cotton balls in old vitamin bottle.hook out what you need with a stick.
Ranger bands ,pieces of inner tube work.use old motorcycle tube for cover on your machete sheath.
Zippo lighters are ok but only seem to last about 10 days until fuel is evaporated.
I carry bic, ferro rod,cotton balls,military heat tabs,and yes my pack has road flares in it.
I'll stop now I'm usually not this long winded.sorry guys.hope this helps.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 5:52:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Here's a cool story for my Bro's. Speaking of Bic lighters. Brought out a quick memory.

In the early 70's I was a Boy Scout. My Dad was a Scoutmaster. He was pretty hardcore....except for firestarting. He loved a cup of diesel and a Bic lighter!
He called it "firewater"!
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 7:38:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Here's a cool story for my Bro's. Speaking of Bic lighters. Brought out a quick memory.

In the early 70's I was a Boy Scout. My Dad was a Scoutmaster. He was pretty hardcore....except for firestarting. He loved a cup of diesel and a Bic lighter!
He called it "firewater"!
View Quote

Helly yeah.

I had an uncle who was the same way.

Loved the outdoors, but didn't mess around when it came to firestarting.

Would drive out to the woods with 5-10lbs of 2x4 scraps from his workshop, and light it up with a full Dixie cup of White Gas.

Never saw a roaring campfire started so quickly.
Link Posted: 12/15/2020 12:03:31 AM EDT
[#6]
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top