Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/15/2020 12:14:29 AM EDT
Where do you get your bic lighters from?.

My stash is going on 10 years old, they will still  light, but heard eventually they will fail

Thanks
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#1]
They will outlive the sun.  If they don't, they sell them in the every convenience store.  And Amazon.  Is this a serious question?
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:32:43 AM EDT
[#2]
I used to get mine from the Lawson guy
ran out about 4.5 years ago
had to quit smoking
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:32:45 AM EDT
[#3]
Maybe I should have mentioned I was looking for more than a couple.... Like 25 to 50
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:35:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 12:57:33 AM EDT
[#5]
We have packs of bics everywhere.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 3:04:22 AM EDT
[#6]
I bought mine when ar-15 alerted me to the $.14 each clearance at Office Depot last year.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#7]
I like Djeep lighters. Fit better in your pocket, larger capacity, and better quality.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:43:30 AM EDT
[#8]
ChinaMart has 5 packs for $3.80, or so.

I keep a dozen on hand, since I’m a cigar smoker and rotate them out every 4-5 years. The flints will sometimes oxidize and fail.

Chris
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:45:53 AM EDT
[#9]
Sam’s and Costco both carry 50 packs.
Link Posted: 9/15/2020 11:50:39 AM EDT
[#10]
7 pack of lighters for $1.97.  Not Bic but Scripto

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Scripto-Lighters-7-count/48274194
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 7:32:52 PM EDT
[#11]
They have a shelf life.   The flints will fail at some point if nothing else does.

I typically get the multi pack at the walmart checkout.
Link Posted: 9/18/2020 11:00:06 PM EDT
[#12]
I got my Djeep lights today fron Amazon
We will see how they work
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 9:44:07 PM EDT
[#13]
I have a large variety of disposable lighters that had been thrown into a box of fire starting gear. Started this stash around 2002 or so.

I went through it last year and all the no name lighters were junk. Either empty of gas or the flints had oxidized and turned to dust.

This was only the case with about 20% of the Bic lighters. Most of them fired right up and appeared full.

I repacked about a dozen into a bugout kit but this time I vac sealed them with a food saver. No oxygen, no oxidation is the theory.

I'm willing to bet they'll be good in another 20 years.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a large variety of disposable lighters that had been thrown into a box of fire starting gear. Started this stash around 2002 or so.

I went through it last year and all the no name lighters were junk. Either empty of gas or the flints had oxidized and turned to dust.

This was only the case with about 20% of the Bic lighters. Most of them fired right up and appeared full.

I repacked about a dozen into a bugout kit but this time I vac sealed them with a food saver. No oxygen, no oxidation is the theory.

I'm willing to bet they'll be good in another 20 years.
View Quote

This confirms why think bic is the one to get, the Djeep are large, maybe not bad

Ordered 50 mini bics
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 11:09:42 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I like Djeep lighters. Fit better in your pocket, larger capacity, and better quality.
View Quote
Came to suggest this.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 5:29:45 AM EDT
[#16]
Bic lighters are made in the USA/France. Definitely the lighter to buy vs the other disposables, with the exception of Clipper lighters, which are made in Spain, and refillable.

The primary point of failure with all lighters is the Flint. In certain climates especially, the flint can corrode / oxidize, causing it to no longer spark.

All flints / fire steels begin their life coated in a enamel lacquer. Once the lighter is sparked, that lacquer coating is removed from the top of the flint, exposing it to oxidation.

As such, its best to never strike a Bic lighter that is intended for long term storage.

Beyond that, given the low cost of Bic's, its a good idea to regularly throw new ones into your collection.

For long term storage, a Zippo is the best bet. Store the lighter without the flint installed, and with multiple packs of new flints kept in an airtight container. Zippo fuel itself has a 50+ year shelf life, and the mechanics of a zippo will last a lifetime.
Link Posted: 9/26/2020 10:33:01 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Bic lighters are made in the USA/France. Definitely the lighter to buy vs the other disposables, with the exception of Clipper lighters, which are made in Spain, and refillable.

The primary point of failure with all lighters is the Flint. In certain climates especially, the flint can corrode / oxidize, causing it to no longer spark.

All flints / fire steels begin their life coated in a enamel lacquer. Once the lighter is sparked, that lacquer coating is removed from the top of the flint, exposing it to oxidation.

As such, its best to never strike a Bic lighter that is intended for long term storage.

Beyond that, given the low cost of Bic's, its a good idea to regularly throw new ones into your collection.

For long term storage, a Zippo is the best bet. Store the lighter without the flint installed, and with multiple packs of new flints kept in an airtight container. Zippo fuel itself has a 50+ year shelf life, and the mechanics of a zippo will last a lifetime.
View Quote

Never knew that, thanks
Link Posted: 10/3/2020 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought mine when ar-15 alerted me to the $.14 each clearance at Office Depot last year.
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2020 9:15:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Going to get a couple of these for the boat and snogo bags.
https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/exotac-titanlight-lighter.html
Link Posted: 10/7/2020 1:45:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Going to get a couple of these for the boat and snogo bags.
https://www.canadianoutdoorequipment.com/exotac-titanlight-lighter.html
View Quote

The XL Peanut is a better value and simpler design, although you lose the wind resistance:

https://countycomm.com/collections/fire/products/anodized-peanut-lighter-xl

Use a 12" length of waxed Jute twine for the lanyard, and you can ignite the twine using just the spark wheel of the lighter should it be out of fuel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2020 3:15:07 PM EDT
[#21]
I've carried a mini Bic in my pocket literally every time I've left the house with pockets for over a decade.

I normally just keep a couple of 5 packs around for when I use up the one in my pocket. I also keep them in kits in vehicles.(zip tie to keep the button from being depressed).

I've been meaning to buy a bulk pack of them since I read the dudes story from bosnia about how valuable they were to trade.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 11:10:00 AM EDT
[#22]
Picked up a couple of 5 packs when Wally World had them on clearance for 50 cents a pack a few months back.
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 12:47:06 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

View Quote
This!
Link Posted: 10/12/2020 2:01:00 PM EDT
[#24]
From the Walmart clearance thread.

2pack of Bob Marley Bics for $0.90 at some stores.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=748980049

If these are like the Christmas ones the design is shrink wrapped around the lighter and easily removeable.

Link Posted: 10/12/2020 10:50:25 PM EDT
[#25]
Bic lighters, being the best of what is commonly offered, are not a substitute for being able to start a fire with other means.

May I suggest the following:  Go forth into your backyard, on a cold, rainy, and windy day, and obtain some items suitable for tinder for your fire.  Obtain larger items intended for fuel for a serious fire.

Now, attempt to ignite the tinder, preferably in windy/rainy conditions.  Hope you have enough tinder to ignite the other, larger, water-soaked stuff.

Now, repeat this exercise in the dark, with rain and wind, of course.

Starting a fire is a learned skill, and having a Bic lighter, and relying on it to start a fire under adverse conditions is very foolish.

Of course, anyone can start a fire, but the point is that it takes practice to do so, preferably under adverse conditions.

Forget about which magic lighter is best, and focus on more essential skills.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:01:40 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
From the Walmart clearance thread.

2pack of Bob Marley Bics for $0.90 at some stores.

https://brickseek.com/walmart-inventory-checker?sku=748980049

If these are like the Christmas ones the design is shrink wrapped around the lighter and easily removeable.

https://i5.walmartimages.com/asr/4f428516-8d32-46d7-b465-4db324efee53.8c96a0155dc840be58da00717126fbbd.jpeg
View Quote

I've taken to wrapping my Bic's in Hockey Grip Tape. It makes them very comfortable in the hand, and adds a little personality. Also perfect for covering up weird designs.

Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:38:20 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
This!
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

This!

This is why I only buy bics that are in the package that are intended for long term storage.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 9:55:23 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
View Quote

Yep.  When I smoked, I always used Djeep.
Link Posted: 10/16/2020 10:13:16 AM EDT
[#29]
I must second the use of using the  XL peanut lighters as far as being the most reliable overall. Remember the bic and other butane lighters need to be above 33 degrees to expand properly and give a good flame. This can be warmed by putting it in your armpit for a few minutes to help. However a wick and liquid lighter like a zippo or any of the peanut lighters do not need any consideration for temperature. Overall the XL is the most versatile as it is waterproof, mostly leak proof ( I left one stored with lighter fluid for a full year and it lit up. But it may evaporate very slowly when the lid is off), temperature proof. It falls short a few certain areas: easy to lose the lid while outdoors. I suggest wrapping the lanyard in hi vis string. It isn’t windproof.

The peanut XL can also be used easier to spark tinder than a zippo or bic. The bic needs to have the metal shroud pulled off, the zippo has the windproof chimney in the way. The peanut lighters will throw sparks the best if the wick is out of the way. The fire sparker that looks like a matchstick with a wheel sold as a fire starter is essentially the same as the peanut lighter with no wick to block the sparks.
Link Posted: 12/1/2020 6:26:07 PM EDT
[#30]
What's the shelf life of these?

I mean for SHTF they'd probably come in handy. So is 10-15 years being stored a reasonable time frame?
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 9:18:17 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Keep hearing about the Dajeep (or 'Djeep') brand ...

Where are they made? And what's their rep?  -  as far as durability over time?
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 7:36:54 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote

I like both Bic & Clipper.  I think the Clipper is a little more popular in the Bushcraft community vs prepper.  +1 on the Zippo for longer term storage.  I also always carry a freshly fueled Zippo in my pocket whenever I am out hunting, hiking or on a camping trip.

As they say on arfcom "get both"
Link Posted: 12/8/2020 8:09:06 PM EDT
[#33]
In my personal experience, and given Zippo lighters  are made to accept replaceable flints, once the factory coating on the flint is ground-off by the striker wheel, then there is the possibility or even likelihood of the bare flint welding itself to the striker wheel, over time  I've seen this happen.  Usually Zippo will replace the guts, but what if that goes away?

I deep-store Zippos with flints uninstalled, and captured at the internal base of the lighter body.

Don't know how Bic lighters are tested at factory, so don't know if the OEM flint is struck, and so possibly degrading it for long-term storage.

I consider Bic lighters (and they are the best of their type, IMHO) as "medium" storage-term items.  YMMV.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 11:00:25 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

I've taken to wrapping my Bic's in Hockey Grip Tape. It makes them very comfortable in the hand, and adds a little personality. Also perfect for covering up weird designs.

https://i.redd.it/mvzrii9kok651.jpg
View Quote

I actually look for the bright or odd designs, they're easier to find when you drop them in, for example, leaf litter.
Link Posted: 12/9/2020 12:12:32 PM EDT
[#35]
Amazon - that's where stuff comes from.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 12:56:59 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
I must second the use of using the  XL peanut lighters as far as being the most reliable overall. Remember the bic and other butane lighters need to be above 33 degrees to expand properly and give a good flame. This can be warmed by putting it in your armpit for a few minutes to help. However a wick and liquid lighter like a zippo or any of the peanut lighters do not need any consideration for temperature. Overall the XL is the most versatile as it is waterproof, mostly leak proof ( I left one stored with lighter fluid for a full year and it lit up. But it may evaporate very slowly when the lid is off), temperature proof. It falls short a few certain areas: easy to lose the lid while outdoors. I suggest wrapping the lanyard in hi vis string. It isn’t windproof.
View Quote

Liquid lighters are actually super temperature dependent. They need to be stored in a pocket near your body to be warm enough for the the Naptha fuel to vaporize and catch spark.

I found this out several times getting Zippos for women. When carried in a purse - and the lighter warmed to ambient air temperature - they would often not light at all even when freshly filled. This was in temperatures of 30-50 degrees. Bic's actually performed better as 'purse lighters' even when whether dropped to the 20's.

The peanut lighter seem less prone to this, as their 0-ring sealed caps keep a lot of pent up vapor and liquid naptha near the wick. But I still wouldnt count on one in a cold backpack to light reliably.

Pretty much all lighters should be kept in a pocket close to the body in winter for optimal reliability.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 5:12:45 PM EDT
[#37]
I pick up multipacks at the grocery store. Occasionally I pick up singles while in the check out line at the gas station
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:09:55 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Liquid lighters are actually super temperature dependent. They need to be stored in a pocket near your body to be warm enough for the the Naptha fuel to vaporize and catch spark.

I found this out several times getting Zippos for women. When carried in a purse - and the lighter warmed to ambient air temperature - they would often not light at all even when freshly filled. This was in temperatures of 30-50 degrees. Bic's actually performed better as 'purse lighters' even when whether dropped to the 20's.

The peanut lighter seem less prone to this, as their 0-ring sealed caps keep a lot of pent up vapor and liquid naptha near the wick. But I still wouldnt count on one in a cold backpack to light reliably.

Pretty much all lighters should be kept in a pocket close to the body in winter for optimal reliability.
View Quote
Concur.  Zippos are far less-sealed than other lighters, and when in everyday use, some evaporation of the fuel must be expected.

OTOH, Zippos are dead-simple, and multi-fuel capable, and have decent factory support.  Use the correct fuel for your zippo, given current circumstances.  Have some spare fuel, and flints, to hand, and go forth.

The Zippo is, for me, an everyday device, not a survival device.  Better, more certain devices to make a fire, but one needs to practice with such items, preferably on a dark, rainy, windy, night to see how they work.

Never think that a any sort of lighter will work in the very worst of conditions.  Practice first, with multiple alternatives; Yes, specifically in the cold, windy, rainy, snowing, dark.

There's a thread I posted high above about a guy who made such mistakes.  He died.

Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#39]
Zippo lighters are superior for everyday use (assuming you have a fluid supply) they're not susceptible to heat or cold. Butane Bics won't light well if they're cold, and if left in the sun, become useless.

That said, get Bics, Zippos, and matches.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:23:45 PM EDT
[#40]
Costco
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 6:38:59 PM EDT
[#41]
ALWAYS have at least 3 independent, tested, ways of starting a fire, and make a point of practicing with them in dark, rainy/snowing windy situations  The worse conditions, the better.

That's exactly when you will need them the most.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:15:45 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
ALWAYS have at least 3 independent, tested, ways of starting a fire, and make a point of practicing with them in dark, rainy/snowing windy situations  The worse conditions, the better.

That's exactly when you will need them the most.
View Quote

Thread drift- In addition to other methods of starting fires, I keep an Orion "fire starter" stick* in each of my PFDs, carry extras in my survival box (small Pelican case) that goes in whichever boat I'm in. I carry one or two in my pack and I keep some full sized flares in my truck.  Years ago when I was in the Boy Scouts we flipped our canoe on section 3 of the Chattooga River on a cold day (I had an inexperienced white water paddler in the bow and I wasn't that experienced either).  My scoutmaster had the other guys gather wood then he handed me a road flare and told me to strike it and shove it in the pile.  I was cold and shivering and my hands were shaking but everyone was watching as I did as instructed and got the fire roaring.  I learned a lot of things in Boy Scouts that I still remember and use.  

*They're the short, five minute flares they sell as emergency fire starters.
Link Posted: 12/10/2020 7:52:05 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

Thread drift- In addition to other methods of starting fires, I keep an Orion "fire starter" stick* in each of my PFDs, carry extras in my survival box (small Pelican case) that goes in whichever boat I'm in. I carry one or two in my pack and I keep some full sized flares in my truck.  Years ago when I was in the Boy Scouts we flipped our canoe on section 3 of the Chattooga River on a cold day (I had an inexperienced white water paddler in the bow and I wasn't that experienced either).  My scoutmaster had the other guys gather wood then he handed me a road flare and told me to strike it and shove it in the pile.  I was cold and shivering and my hands were shaking but everyone was watching as I did as instructed and got the fire roaring.  I learned a lot of things in Boy Scouts that I still remember and use.  

View Quote
With all possible respect, having a "Road Flare" is not something to be counted-on as a resource.  Your Scoutmaster did the right thing in saving his Scouts from hypothermia, and that was his ultimate job.

I reckon that your Scoutmaster might have re-considered the fire-making skills amongst his Scouts, and himself, for that matter.  

No insult to your Scoutmaster by any means.  

Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:21:38 PM EDT
[#44]
Exotac fire sleeves will make your bic last for YEARS.  I don't even know for sure when I got mine, they were still on kickstarter though.  I think I've only changed the lighter in it once.  Had it at least ten years.
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 2:44:32 PM EDT
[#45]
While we're here, what's the best fire starter/tinder to keep with the lighter?

I have drier lint with candle wax, what's better?
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 3:56:34 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
With all possible respect, having a "Road Flare" is not something to be counted-on as a resource.  Your Scoutmaster did the right thing in saving his Scouts from hypothermia, and that was his ultimate job.

I reckon that your Scoutmaster might have re-considered the fire-making skills amongst his Scouts, and himself, for that matter.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You missed my point or maybe I didn't make it clear, all of us were at least mildly proficient at more than one method of making fire at that time (this was back when Boy Scouts actually did outdoor stuff and earned merit badges for it); what he showed us was one of the fastest and easiest ways to get a fire going when you wanted it quickly.  I could and still can start fire multiple ways yet here we are in a thread on Bic lighters.  In an emergency I'm not going to muck around shining the bottom of a Coke can with a Hershey bar when I've got a lighter, but I've done it just to see if I could.  Just another way to skin a cat and another tool in the toolbox.  
Link Posted: 12/13/2020 7:52:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:

View Quote

Jute twine and waxed jute twine/ doubles as cordage.

Alcohol wipe/ doubles as wound care.

A small candle will prolong your source and can be used as a light source

Birch bark is one of my favorite natural tinders.
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:03:56 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
View Quote

note: ranger bands burn nicely, and importantly -- they burn nicely even after getting wet.
for field expedient tinder under adverse weather conditions, ranger bands work.

here's 20 good quality ranger bands for $10:
https://gearward.com/products/ranger-bands

ar-jedi

Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:36:43 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

View Quote

Ummmm what? This post makes no sense at all
Link Posted: 12/14/2020 3:49:57 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

note: ranger bands burn nicely, and importantly -- they burn nicely even after getting wet.

ar-jedi

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0284/5740/files/Ranger_Band_waterproof_tinder_1024x1024.jpg
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

ar-jedi

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0284/5740/files/Ranger_Band_waterproof_tinder_1024x1024.jpg

+1 to this. The Gearward Ranger Bands are great. In addition to rifles and slings, I keep one one my belt as a spare belt loop, but it also doubles as a spare source of tinder.

They also make the Ranger Bic, which is ingenious, but currently sold out:

https://gearward.com/products/ranger-bic
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top